The "New Toys" Thread

Been looking at that one, do share your thoughts on it.

Now that I had a chance to play with it some, can post some thoughts.

It takes time to get used to it, since unlike a normal single rotor helicopter it's hard to tell where the front is (it's the green lights) it's a little challenging to navigate with it. Controls are based on the logic that it is flying away from you so that's a little annoying as well. Stabilization is pretty damn great you can toss it up in the air and hit the throttle and it will right itself right away, you can actually feel it working if you have engines on and hold it in your hand at an angle. The trim adjustments are kind of worthless, mine doesn't have quite straight up and when doing fine tune adjustments I couldn't get it to center out. Camera is basically pointless, you have a button to take pictures or video but you have no viewfinder so you basically have no idea what you are filming.

It does a cool trick where it can flip over in the air but it only works if camera is unplugged (manual even states so). Battery only lasts about 7 minutes and takes forever to charge so it would make sense to get a few of them if you are going to be flying for a while. Short flight works for me because I don't have any time any way :p Comes with 4 replacement rotor blades which was very nice since I bent one already giving a tree a trim.

All in all I would say for $50 its not a bad purchase but if you find the one that doesn't come with a camera for cheaper that is even better. It's something that you can just play around with and not worry too much about destroying it, rotor blades are the only things that are likely to break and can be replaced in under a minute (it's a single screw on top).

design-dual-sim.png

Came from HTC Desire 816, went to Nexus 5 (it has no battery life at all), came back to HTC. Previous flagship. Still a good buy I hope. (Also you miss blinkfeed when you dont have it anymore) Flipboard etc is just not the same.

So, it seems that a MacBook Pro doesn't like latte's.

Got myself a new 15" retina, base spec.

Yeah, coffee is something for grown ups. So i went for a 15" instead of the 13" i had before.

After two and a half years of 10+ hours a day of wear, my Beyerdynamics MMX 300s gave up the ghost. Well, not really, but I need to recable them.

In the meantime, bit the bullet and bought another pair. $320.

mmx300_base.png

I love these fucking things. I never want to get any other headset. They're far and away the most comfortable, best sounding, most versatile headset I've ever owned. I've tried the Sennheiser G4me Zero and was unimpressed, same with the other high end manufacturers.

10 hrs a day every day for 2,5 years? Dayum, your head must be shaped like those things now

Maybe you should have bought a life instead? :mrgreen:

10 hrs a day every day for 2,5 years? Dayum, your head must be shaped like those things now

I work from home, in front of my PC, and am in webmeetings (webex/gotomeeting) with customers 3-4 hours a day. I could use my phone + bluetooth, but I have google voice and use that as my primary business number so I can just do everything from my PC.

The rest of the time is watching tv/movies or listening to music while I work, then an hour or two of recreational PC usage after my work day.

Until the new ones arrive on Tuesday, I pulled my old Logitech G35s out of the closet.

I forgot how bad these things were comparatively. They make my ears sweat so bad.

Also, yes, after wearing them all day I actually have depressions in my hair around my ears from the earpads. I'll post a pic after I get the new ones.

Last edited:
This reminds me to refresh the pads on my DT770s... I've been using those things for about 10 years now, the pads have flattened and the middle of the earcup is pressing against the ear now, it hurts after a while. Order placed on ebay...

Last edited:
This reminds me to refresh the pads on my DT770s... I've been using those things for about 10 years now, the pads have flattened and the middle of the earcup is pressing against the ear now, it hurts after a while. Order placed on ebay...

The MMX300s are DT770 32ohms with a mic. Literally the exact same BD driver.

Edit: Arrived today. I missed you, glorious Beyerdynamics german-engineered comfort.

Last edited:
This morning 2004 called, they told me I can keep this. :p

IMG_0614.JPG

Brand new, of course. The fat brick I bought ten years ago decided to stop working. I couldn't get the emulator to works right. And I wanted to keep one of these anyway.

iconia-7-one-2.jpg

Acer Iconia One 7 B1-730 tablet for the kids.

And since it's the "toys" thread, a proper toy too

3DS-XL-006.jpg

"Officially" bought for my son's 6th birthday, but I think I shall "borrow" it a lot :)

A non-profit I'm involved in needed a cheap B/W laser with Wi-Fi and Airprint support for printing payment receipts from iZettle on iOS. This is what we ended up with:

The verdict is as follows:

- Small and light for a laser printer.
- Pretty quiet, too.
- Click print and it prints, just like every other B/W laser.

Setting up wi-fi was a royal pain in the ass. The printer itself has exactly two buttons and two leds (not counting the power switch) and network configuration is done via USB and desktop software. I never tried the Mac software since I did this at work between customers... but the Windows version kept crashing mid-configuration until I rebooted the computer.

It also couldn't connect to my portable 4G hotspot at first. I "fixed" that by removing a space from the SSID. :lol: Lastly, I managed to confuse the software since the Dell desktop I was using to configure the printer lacked wi-fi. It tried to connect to the printer after completing the configuration wizard. It thankfully saved the settings anyway, though.

Hp printers are utter shite. I'm never buying one again. I was happy with my Epson until my wife ruined the finisher with inkjet photo paper (sadly, that part wasn't available as a spare), and am loving my current Samsung. HP can go eat dicks.

HP P1102w

Have this exact printer over at my place for several years now. It's surprisingly solid - I've had my share of hateful printers from hell... but aside from not being recognized on new PCs/Macs sometimes, it works flawlessly. Have been using cheap 3rd party toner, it prints fine and lasts forever, costing very little per page indeed.

I just hate it when you need desktop software to do things that shouldn't need desktop software. Like configuring a fucking wifi network. But other than that it's been solid so far.

My own printer is a multifunction color laserjet (M276nw) and it leaves a lot to be desired. It whirrs and chunks on its own like a house pet that randomly decides to sit down and lick its balls, the sheet feeder on the scanner is lousy and noisy and the laser printer itself is slow. It's also huge and heavy. But it does everything and I'll most likely not replace it any time soon.

- - - Updated - - -

And there's one other thing I don't like about it: the fact that the blank paper sticks out of the printer. I prefer a concealed paper drawer.

*looks at title*

Dayem you need a lot of hardware to properly run Photoshop nowadays!