The "New Toys" Thread

I actually don't find that a deal breaker, since I can just use my phone's data instead, either via wifi hotspot or bluetooth. There's also no situation where I have my phone but not my tablet.

My situation is a bit special. I need the tablet to host my old SIM card so I can receive texts on the old number and use it for calls if needed. I'm keeping the card around since I can't lose that number, and I can't transfer it to the company plan I'm primarily using now either.

My situation is a bit special. I need the tablet to host my old SIM card so I can receive texts on the old number and use it for calls if needed. I'm keeping the card around since I can't lose that number, and I can't transfer it to the company plan I'm primarily using now either.

All tablets don't work as phones either. Well, iPads don't.

Also, an anecdote, might as well:

With my first two iPads (gen 1 and 2 with 3G) I used a second SIM card piggybacking off of my normal phone plan. This worked fine. When I updated to a Mini Retina with LTE, I suddenly couldn't receive phonecalls on my phone anymore. Turns out the iPad tried to pick the call up and failed, producing a busy tone on the other end. When I called my provider to ask what the hell was up, it the guy responded "You have a twin card in an iPad, right?" :lol:

iPads dont, most Android pads do afaik (at least the Samsung ones, you need to use a headset though). And I explicitly want an Android tablet, since there's some specific software that doesn't exist on iOS that I need.

dell-c2660dn.jpg

Bit overkill for a home printer but I couldn't say no to a colour Laser with duplex printing for ?70 (after cashback).

I got soo lucky, the Pi Zero has been on my mind for weeks.
I randomly searched the twitters and they were in stock in 50 minutes.

I got the zero plus adaptors and a case for ?11.50 + ?2.50 shipping.

Zero_and_kit_and_PIbow_002f7e35-5f28-4dfd-b601-8c1c6810feba_1024x1024.JPG

Its probably cheaper to buy extras on eBay, but the zero would still be ?2.50 shipping so did it this way.

All I need is a micro SD card and I hope I have a charger lying around.

Last edited:
I knew it was tiny, but fuck me... It's nonexistent.

Openelec/Kodi is 100mb. The Pi is silent, this thing is pretty fucking cool.

Last edited:
Just bought a Doogee X5 Pro from Banggood... Which is a ridiculous statement.

?52 delivered from Europe, I hope it arrives before Xmas. My sister has a gen 1 moto g, and couldn't care less about a fancy phone.

What does your sister have to do with anything?

Your posts make less and less sense every day.

So... I finally got around to buy me a laptop.

91wFOGdXs3L._SL1500_.jpg

It's a lenovo G50 with an Intel Celeron 3205U processor with 150 GHz, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB disk space. It cost 299 Euros and came without an OS. After installing Windows 7 64 Pro and about 250 Windows updates, it's running fine now. It's not the most expensive laptop, not the fastest or best equipped one either. But I don't plan on playing games or storing video downloads on it, so it doesn't matter.

What I need it for, is simple: For some reason there don't seem to exist any decent ports or connectors for the iPod Classic anymore to hook it up to my stereo/home cinema system. And I always liked the idea of having my whole CD collection at my disposal without having to change a CD all the time, especially since I signed up to iTunes Match. Also, the classic iPod is very user-unfriendly for anything but listening music while jogging or working out (and both I don't do), so I went to get this laptop to simply use it as an audio device.

Of course I installed Kaspersky, which I had an unsused second license for, and Firefox, iTunes and an older version of Adobe Premiere but that's it. No more software needed at the moment.

Now, I know that the sound quality is not even nearly as good as with my CD player (actually it's rather poor but only I will probably notice). There are, however, advantages, too: When I have visitors, I can have playlists with fitting music for the occasion, be it a BBQ or a party. And if someone has a specific wish for a song, I don't need to rummage around my CD collection for half an hour to find it. Another advantage is that all songs are being normalized, which means you don't have the differences in volume that you normally have with different CD's -- also good for parties or other togethernesses. And, since my CD player is nearly 20 years old, I don't wear it off any more. I will only use it for dedicated music listening from now on, probably sitting with a glass of wine in my armchair.

I have this laptop hooked up to my Denon AV reciever via a classic cinch connection and simply put it on top of my BD player. Or, since the cinch connection is 5 meters long, I can take it and sit on the sofa with it. Wireless would be better but I'd need to have a newer reciever for that and currently that's out of the question.

23236933634_e263acfe1c_k.jpg

23569393840_30b3b3b9b8_k.jpg

Last edited:
The "New Toys" Thread

The "New Toys" Thread

Well, I thought about that, too, and will certainly try it out. But currently all 3 HDMI inputs on the receiver are taken. However, I already bought an HDMI switch with remote control but have to wait until past Christmas before buying a 5 meter HDMI cable.

Well, I thought about that, too, and will certainly try it out. But currently all 3 HDMI inputs on the receiver are taken. However, I already bought an HDMI switch with remote control but have to wait until past Christmas before buying a 5 meter HDMI cable.

Or you could chuck out the HD-DVD player :p

Apprently the laptop doesn't put an audio signal on the HDMI output I'm in the process of determining if it's a driver problem or simply something the device cannot do. Any ideas?

Apprently the laptop doesn't put an audio signal on the HDMI output I'm in the process of determining if it's a driver problem or simply something the device cannot do. Any ideas?
It definitely should be possible. Have you checked the windows 7 volume control/mixer settings?

I looked for it but so far I haven't found any sound settings worth mentioning. I'm not too familiar with Windows 7 in that area, though.

You need to set default output to HDMI and when you disconnect the HDMI, it will default to speakers.

Yes, I am aware of that. The question is where do I set it to HDMI? I looked and haven't found that setting yet.