The "New Toys" Thread

Battery life seems ridiculously poor as it hasn't managed 12 hours on a sibgle charge with the brightness all the way down....

Does work well, although sometimes I can only see who sent me a message and not the message itself...

Settings need some fettling too, as I'm getting every possible notification in the world, which means it's more a wrist massage device rather than anything else...

At least on my dad's, the interface is confusing as balls...there's duplicated shit because it has a SIM card slot so it could be it's own phone - so it has two tabs in a lot of the apps on it, one for contacts/texts from your phone, the other for the watch itself.

I think it runs some sort of bastardized Android as it has a notification shade and such...it's weird.

The app that you install on the phone is also weird - there's several that seem to do the same thing in a different way but you can toggle notifications from it.

You know what's worse than an immature technology? A Chinese knockoff of an immature technology.

Agreed.

What do you say to a smart watch?

"why are you so fucking stupid?"

You know Siri will answer that.

I just bought my first home server - a used Fujitsu Primergy MX130 S2 with an Opteron 3280 (8x2,4 GHz) and 2x8 GB RAM for 145 Euros. I have two 2TB HDDs which are currently in my NAS which I use purely for backups (I only connect it once a week for said backup) so HDDs are catered for as well. I think I'll use it as backup for my PC and additionally as home-lab for some virtualization, it won't run 24/7.

Speaking of smartwatches... I just received, as an early birthday present, a silver Pebble Time Steel. So far I'm loving it.

Pebble-Time-Steel.jpg

Last edited:
kwnxa1i.png

this is gonna take a while :|

I'm in the same boat but I'm too poor for 8TB, just a 6TB WD for me. :D

My_Book_002.JPG

Which needs to be a backup of this:

Data_002.JPG

After nearly losing the data on this array due to Windows 10 lacking RAID drivers for my server (curse you Asus) I decided a backup was finally needed. I tried out the WD software at first which claims to have continuous backup but in 30 minutes it backed up nothing so screw that, I'll use Robocopy...

That's pretty damn good for a Green, I guess they aren't all 5400rpm like they were when I bought my old 2TB WD20EARS. What's the work drive? Don't tell me Seagate Barracuda. :p

Sometime about a month ago, I went out, bought 4 more 4TB disks (to add to the existing 4 4TB disks...) and finally setup my NAS properly.. End result:

6GUKLRB.png

Should be full by about mid 2017at most.

Next up on the list of things to do is getting rails for the server, then after that, get some OM4 fibre run from the garage to my room and moving the damn rack down to said garage.

At least on my dad's, the interface is confusing as balls...there's duplicated shit because it has a SIM card slot so it could be it's own phone - so it has two tabs in a lot of the apps on it, one for contacts/texts from your phone, the other for the watch itself.

I think it runs some sort of bastardized Android as it has a notification shade and such...it's weird.

The app that you install on the phone is also weird - there's several that seem to do the same thing in a different way but you can toggle notifications from it.

Agreed.

"why are you so fucking stupid?"

I doubt I have the same thing, as it can only push notifications, and it looks far from standard android. Works fine as a normal watch though, the step counter thing and sleep analysis does work quite well too

New Build

New Build

After 7 years my previous PC finally gave up... So was time for a new build:

PC.jpg

PC-2.jpg

Intel i7 6700k @4GHz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB @3200MHz
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX970
Kingston 480GB SSD

Happy times ahead :)

Last edited:
The graphics card might run out of vram if you plan on running the best and most advanced games like Shadow of Mordor with an HD pack or Star Citizen, but otherwise, yeah.

I doubt I have the same thing, as it can only push notifications, and it looks far from standard android. Works fine as a normal watch though, the step counter thing and sleep analysis does work quite well too
As usual further fiddling proved to be the answer....you can choose which app you want to get notifications from...default is all of them, even the ones that are suppressed by your phone

It's the BT thats causibg the battery drain, since turning it off lengthened the battery life to a much more reasonable 48 hrs between charges.

Sleep analysis thing is cool...but I don't get that 5hrs of deep sleep is 'excellent' and 3 hours is 'impressive' while the overall sleep is about the same....

That's why I went with the MiBand. Cheap, efficient, simple and I get RGB custom notifications on it. Would love an Apple Watch though. Or a Pebble.

If the next Apple Watch looks like a watch, I'll probably be getting one (make the bloody thing round if it's supposed to be a watch!). Currently the "design" makes it a no-go for me, I don't want a rectangular brick on my wrist. There are several Android Wear watches that are quite nice, but since I'm bound to the iPhone for the foreseeable future, those aren't really an option.

If the next Apple Watch looks like a watch, I'll probably be getting one (make the bloody thing round if it's supposed to be a watch!).

I thought so too at first, but then I realized that all watches I've ever owned have been square. I stopped wearing a watch when Nokia introduced clocks on their phones though.

I don't mind square watches...i dislike Apple's take on a square watch.

My friends and I built me a racing rig a week ago. The chair is temporary -- I plan on getting a Viper seat to use instead and then we'll reconfigure it.

Wheel is a Thrustmaster T500RS with the T3PA-PRO pedals and TH8A gated shifter. I bought the pedals, but the wheel and shifter are on loan from a friend, but I'll likely buy them off him despite their pricetag. He was using these before he upgraded to even better ones.

When I upgrade my living room TV in the next few months, I'll stick my current 46" TV in front of this and game off of that instead.

Last edited: