The "New Toys" Thread

Oh, I have...to be fair, pretty much every brand can make some skoocum choochers and some garbage, and even he reluctantly admits Mil-fuck-ee has the best batteries and makes a few good tools, and Ryobeater makes a decent cordless nailer (he hasn't done much Ryobi, but both of those are under the same TTI corporate umbrella as Ridgid).

Last edited:
Ordered myself a new dashcam, a Mini 0805 to replace my dead 0803. Should be here Friday.

While I already disapprove of the lack of a proper arrow key positioning, the lack of a proper pgup/down etc block is just a no-fucking-go for a keyboard on my computer.

While I already disapprove of the lack of a proper arrow key positioning, the lack of a proper pgup/down etc block is just a no-fucking-go for a keyboard on my computer.

Eh, it works on my desk and for my usage. Outside of work I rarely have a use for both the numpad/arrow block at once. Using numlock to switch between the numpad and the arrows/page/del block seems a pretty acceptable compromise for me in what's turned out to be a cheap keyboard. If I find the same frustrations, I'll whack it on eBay and make a little profit.

Had it been the full ?90, then I'd be fully with you. :lol:

I have the same thing at work with blue switches. I don't have room for a full(proper) keyboard, but numpad is a necessity. I would prefer not having to turn numlock on/off to use arrows and delete, but I've already gotten used to it.

I wouldn't get on with that, it's more the odd layout that I don't like than the lack of keys, but having keys missing wouldn't help that. Turning num lock on and off is a serious annoyance for me but if the num lock was mind controlled and could turn on and off based on what I wanted to do that that would be fine. :|

I suppose I would be OK with it if I had that same keyboard at home and at work. Switching back and forth would likely throw me way off.

I think this has a bit of a toy in it, even if it is a tool:

789330.jpg

Bosch GSR 18 V-Li drill with two 4 Ah batteries. Can't wait till we are moving house, so I can put it to proper use. :)
4Ah at 18V is enough to make you want a beer long, long before the battery is even half depleted. :D Unless you're splitting 2x4's with a circular saw with a tired blade, anyway. Which I did the other day. Note to self: buy a new blade.

If you think it's lacking penetrating power, make sure it's in gear 1. It's slower, but has much more torque.
If you ever need to use first gear for anything, you clearly didn't buy a powerful enough drill. :p

That said, my 3 year old Makita has a ruined gearbox from driving in countless 5.5x120mm (ish) wood screws in second gear at full throttle. The motor handles it without a care in the world, but apparently the gearbox was the weak link. I'm going to replace it in a couple of weeks when I have some more free time.

I like Makita stuff. I have an 18V power drill and impact driver combo, a reprpirpipriapscipiocating saw and a circular saw. And a fm radio/bluetooth boombox. :p It just sucks a bit that the battery that's needed to operate the boom box costs as much as the device itself. I'm currently running four tools on two batteries which alright if you're alone, and as long as one isn't tied up playing music.

Last edited:
I like Makita stuff. I have an 18V power drill and impact driver combo, a reprpirpipriapscipiocating saw and a circular saw. And a fm radio/bluetooth boombox. :p It just sucks a bit that the battery that's needed to operate the boom box costs as much as the device itself. I'm currently running four tools on two batteries which alright if you're alone, and as long as one isn't tied up playing music.

I still can't believe EVERYONE doesn't make a radio/charger unit, but apparently the charger circuit causes a shitload of interference and expensive to shield against, and most folks don't want to pay for a radio that's that expensive (even though it's also a charger)

Last edited:
It is not just the shielding. You have to make the charger circuit less noisy to begin with. That is fairly hard to do with a switching power supply.

Beyerdynamic Byron BT

Seems decent so far. The manual is pretty funny because it reads like a German is teaching you how to use this device rather than the dull emotionless manuals that most things have.

They're good, problem I have is the high tones are a bit too sharp but, all Bluetooth devices do this.

It just sucks a bit that the battery that's needed to operate the boom box costs as much as the device itself. I'm currently running four tools on two batteries which alright if you're alone, and as long as one isn't tied up playing music.

For something with low power draw like that I'd be tempted to get a top plate for a Maikta battery (you can buy them, I've looked), 3 4xAA battery holders and some rechargable AAs. Wire the lot up in series and you have 18V. Current draw shouldn't be an issue really. Alternatively a cheap used 2Ah battery solves your problem. I just got started with LXT kit with an impact driver and palm sander, now looking at what else I can get. I've seen DIY table saws made with circ saws and the idea of a detachable version with a cordless saw and remote battery (hence looking up the top plates) sounds good.

For something with low power draw like that I'd be tempted to get a top plate for a Maikta battery (you can buy them, I've looked), 3 4xAA battery holders and some rechargable AAs. Wire the lot up in series and you have 18V. Current draw shouldn't be an issue really. Alternatively a cheap used 2Ah battery solves your problem. I just got started with LXT kit with an impact driver and palm sander, now looking at what else I can get. I've seen DIY table saws made with circ saws and the idea of a detachable version with a cordless saw and remote battery (hence looking up the top plates) sounds good.

Ugh, no. I would want a battery that fits all my other tools.

Ugh, no. I would want a battery that fits all my other tools.

In that case it's an impossible situation, you'll always want to use the expensive batteries for tools. Get one that you don't want to use with tools, as cheap as possible and it'll always be there for the radio. :dunno:

Also technically a battery made from a Makita LXT plate but with AAs would fit, it just wouldn't be able to supply enough current for tools. :p

I'll probably end up buying a 4Ah or 5Ah battery. I want another one anyway.