The "New Toys" Thread

I have a feeling that if I had a robo-vac and put it on an automatic schedule it would just end up eating a sock or a phone charger and get stuck.

Yep, that's a problem that I have to face as well :) But I think it's a positive thing, since it forces you to not have stuff all over the floor.

Robo vac sounds cool and all but with 2 kids who leave tiny stuff on the floor, and 2 dogs that sometimes leave something smelly on the floor, I'll pass

Yep, that's a problem that I have to face as well :) But I think it's a positive thing, since it forces you to not have stuff all over the floor.

How well does it work on edges of furniture and such? I really can't see those to be really effective there.. plus, I guess door sills will force you to set it up in different rooms every day?

How well does it work on edges of furniture and such? I really can't see those to be really effective there.. plus, I guess door sills will force you to set it up in different rooms every day?

It works very well near edges thanks to the two rotating brushes, that sweep the floor ahead and to the lef/right and pull dust to the vacuum intake. With most walls and furniture, it doesn't actually go as far as bumping into them, but detects them at ~2cm range. It then stops and occasionally (now sure when exactly) goes into the "follow edge" mode, in which it drives along the wall/furniture following the corners, with the side brush covering up to ~1cm underneath said piece of furniture.

I don't have any door sills that it can't go over, so I can let it loose in the whole flat. So far I've only let it run in one room at a time (by closing the doors), mostly as a manner of testing and finding out where it might get stuck or encounter other problems. None found so far.

Because lazy as fuck, I might be convinced to give that thing a shot :D. The going rate seems to be 149 EUR, or are you aware of a cheaper source?

-edit-
Are you running on some kind of smooth floor, or carpet?

How well does it do with 90? corners in a room? Considering you have at least 4 of them, you don't want dust and dirt buildup there.

If i had only 1 floor, i would have bought one when i moved in. But my bedroom and bathroom are upstairs, and i can't be bothered to carry it up and down.

Last edited:
I might just get that cheap Medion one for the top floor, since that one accumulates dust faster than the lower floor. And on the lower floor i can use the regular vacuum cleaner.

The only thing that annoys me is that i can't find any information about spare parts.

Last edited:
The going rate seems to be 149 EUR, or are you aware of a cheaper source?

Yep, that's what I paid. Got it from Conrad, shipped quickly, nothing negative to report.

Are you running on some kind of smooth floor, or carpet?

Both. I have laminate floors with several carpets. I was worried the bedroom carpet would be too thick for it (~1,5cm), but it drives over it like it's not even there. And sucks a hell of a lot of dust out of that carpet, too.

How well does it do with 90? corners in a room? Considering you have at least 4 of them, you don't want dust and dirt buildup there.

When it's in "follow walls" mode, the rotating brushes reach all the way into 90? corners and sweep them clean.

They're not meant to replace a proper clean. They're meant to keep things mostly at bay until you do your normal clean. They're great for picking up dust bunnies, non ground in dirt and the small bits of detritus that follow you in.

Exactly. One still has to vacuum and clean properly every once in a while, but the intervals can be increased dramatically, and the place looks a lot cleaner in the meantime. And while most reviews indeed say the Medion doesn't do a terribly good job on carpets, my experience is rather positive so far: as stated before, it removes a hell of a lot of dust from my thick-ish bedroom carpet, even though I vacuumed properly in there only a few days ago.

Don't know how much any of you like vaping, but these count as technology...

I ordered these two from Fasttech, should be here in a couple of weeks.

eVic_Primo_02.png

griffin-25-RTA-top-airflow-version.jpg

Should I make a Vaping thread in Offtopic section?

Depends on what you are vaping. ;)

We get it, you vape.