The "New Toys" Thread

I caved.

j1b5WKC.jpg

Does this count as a toy? :lol:

I hate domestic chores and I figured window cleaning would be a bit less of a pain if I got something technological to help me do it. And I was right. It works better than I expected.

2w1VxIr.jpg

Steam? I like that cloth pad thing. My steam cleaner only has a squeegee and a couple of different nozzles.

No, it's not a steam cleaner. It's just a squeegee with suction basically. Spray and scrub with the pad and squeegee it dry. No streaks and no mess on the windowsill. The dirty water goes into the translucent tank on the machine. In my case, filthy black water. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh, that sounds kind of cool.

I would have gone with Asus or Gigabyte instead of MSI. They've been known to cheap out on some of the components like capacitors.

Last edited:
I tend to stay away from Asus just because of the customer service reputation. Their products are quite good, but in the ever-present possibility that you get a faulty unit, it seems you're on your own.

Full Disclosure: Amethyst has an MSI Motherboard.

Last edited:
I tend to stay away from Asus just because of the customer service reputation. The internet is filled of rather shady stories about Asus customer support.

I've heard mixed things about their customer service. Have heard some horror stories, but also some good ones. Not sure if it varies by region or not.

I have yet to interact with them as all the ASUS products I've bought have worked flawlessly. List includes:

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard (5 years)
ASUS X54C-BBK24 laptop (~4.5 years)
ASUS TF300T tablet (~4.5 years)
ASUS VS238H monitors (x2, 4 years)

The ASUS GTX 1070 I bought in November has also been working perfectly, though it is fairly new...

:dunno:

Asus Z97-Pro Gamer in this machine, it's been flawless but as it wasn't faulty on arrival that's not surprising. My third Asus board, never had to contact their support.

I tend to stay away from Asus just because of the customer service reputation. Their products are quite good, but in the ever-present possibility that you get a faulty unit, it seems you're on your own.

EU consumer protection laws shield you from that crap.

If you buy your stuff from a reputable seller who values their customer, it should be no problem to replace a faulty board. When I lived in Norway I bought nearly everything from Komplett. They replaced stuff without questions if you RMA'd it due to DOA or failure a year or two after buying.

After we bought a house last month, I have been spending I a bit more than I'm comfortable with to random thing ranging from carpets to tumble dryers. One thing I have been specifically eager to buy is a gaming capable computer though. My wife's Dell XPS AIO just doesn't cut it for games with its laptop GPU, and now we finally have room for another computer.

Few days ago I saw a gaming computer with GTX 1070 for 1030 euros, which I thought was really good price. However after some pondering I decided that too many corners had been cut in other parts of that system, namely 1 generation old i5-6400, only 8 GB ram and some cheap quality parts. So I decided to go via the custom build route with the same budget.

For 1030 euros I managed to order:
-i5-7500
-2x8GB Crucial DDR4-2133-CL15
-MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
-250 GT Samsung EVO 850 SSD
-2 TB Seagate Barracuda
-Enermax MaxPro 500W PSU
-TP-link 300Mb WLAN card
-Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H mATX mainboard
-Jonsbo C3 mATX case
-Windows 10 Home (Deutsch)
-Shipping from Germany to Finland

Userbenchmark.com tells me I should be looking about 694% increase in GPU speed compared to the 640M. Maybe I can finally play My Summer Car. :lol:

I still need to buy a new display. I have been looking at Lenovo P27q-10, but as it seems to be a new model, there are not any reviews around, and I need to see some of them before committing myself. My almost 10 year old 24" BenQ will have to do for time being.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions. That Asus is a bit over my budget though. That Lenovo costs only 320? currently. My budget for monitor is about 400 max.

If I used the PC solely for gaming, I would probably get 27" 1080p TN display. But after using my wifes QHD Dell for years I have became too used to that size and resolution and would not like to change to worse for all the desktop use I have. Also I need somewhat accurate colors for photo processing so I have been looking at IPS panels.

Last edited: