The "New Toys" Thread

What's the argument for ultra wide monitors?

Real estate. Also, human vision is closer to 2:1 in aspect ratio than 16:9, so it fills more of the field of view.

Gaming on such a screen is amazing, especially first person shooters. It has the same effect on 16:9 as 16:9 had on 4:3.

Wait until you see the 32:9 aspect ratio monitors. They are essentially two 16:9 monitors stuck together. Not sure how practical it would be, but it sure looks cool on the desk.

Basically what Ice said, it is much easier to look an short wide monitor than a taller narrower one. The only thing is that if the screen is very wide it basically has to be curved so that it can work with your peripheral vision.

also, curved screens reduce the effects of looking at a screen too far off-axis in terms off image accuracy for both perspective and color- shift of the lcd screen itself.

For ultrawide, The ability to have 3 full size letter- sized documents side by side by side is awesome. Also, for video editors or folks who work with spreadsheets, they are amazing. For editing photos i still prefer a taller 16:9, but for everything else, i prefer ultrawide. Sorta like a double monitor setup without the seam in the middle.

Last edited:
Actual toys!

A natural extension from this post

Because YOLO. And beating my kids at their? own game is motivation for me and them
1418a5d871e9d49ead67975384fd625d.jpg
9bb9a4c1c65bd14c25d996e9298bed6b.jpg

Last edited:
Does 4 inches count as a sweet jump? Too scared/inexperienced to really fly but I know some dudes that completely skip some of the hills in our bmx lot. Must learn to nut up and try it myself, hence the protective gear. My old karting helmet and gloved were heavy and hot compared to the superlight stuff I have now.

I also need to learn to keep up with my noodlets on the pumptrack,bits, I lose them there quite fast

Not a toy per se, but something to carry my toys in. I don't see myself ever having a laptop bigger than a thin 13", but I frequently need to carry lots of stuff around so I went for a backpack that makes my laptop disappear into the voids of the padded computer compartment.

I was happy with my old cheap laptop backpack but the zippers were starting to crap out and the padding had worn so thin you could hear my laptop hit the floor. I found the Samsonite Spectrolite 16".

You can tell the backpack business isn't very cutting edge. The product photos show a first gen iPad and what appears to be a very early Macbook Pro... or even a 15" Powerbook G4. :lol:

6aXlOoq.jpg

XffvP3A.jpg

Last edited:
So... my keyboard isn't broken after spilling a pint of beer on it, but it's gotten really sticky, so I guess it's just the reason to get a new keyboard that's more suited to my needs.

P1080188.jpg

I'll still keep the Logitech as a backup or if the Steelseries turns out to be rather crap.

So... my keyboard isn't broken after spilling a pint of beer on it, but it's gotten really sticky, so I guess it's just the reason to get a new keyboard that's more suited to my needs.

P1080188.jpg

I'll still keep the Logitech as a backup or if the Steelseries turns out to be rather crap.

I have that keyboard. It took a bit of getting used to typing wise. I don't like how "soft" the plastic is on the keys (there's some weird wear that makes some frequently used keys awkward to type on if my nails aren't super trimmed) and SteelSeries doesn't seem to make it easy to order replacement keys.

I should really try though as I like the keyboard overall.

I haven't tried a keyboard with one of those big spacebars, I wonder how they feel compared to a traditional one.

In other news I've been chewing something over since Friday and finally said fuck it and made the purchase.

GX410AS_162110_800x800.jpg

I was originally going to get the ASUS 1080ti Turbo as it was on sale at a surprisingly cheap price, but I soon found out why when I looked at reviews. I'm not interested in water cooling at this point so I don't want a card that's only really good if you slap a water block on it, however at this point I was set on getting a 1080ti so the only way was up. I got this at about ?40 off the standard Amazon price through another computer parts shop, not entirely sure why their price is lower but as long as it gets here in one piece I couldn't care less. It's still eye-wateringly expensive though.

It's hard to justify this cost but I'm looking ahead to the upcoming Forza 7 and its 4k capability; previously I've spent quite a lot more on a Fanatec wheel to allow me to use it with Forza 6 on the XBOne as it's the only racing sim game I care about. I could wait and get an XBOneX but I currently only have three games for my XBOne: Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 3 so I don't want to spend money on a console that I will only play a few games on, now Forza is on PC I can put the GPU to good use with that along with everything else I do and play including VR and video editing in Adobe software. I'm going from a GTX 970 so it's a large jump, I actually wanted something that was new this time instead of buying older kit at lower prices.

Currently not sure my old 520W Corsair PSU can handle it, it has the power connections and handles my GTX 970 SC fine but that's pretty low. I've also had to make space in my ancient Antec P182 case by moving the SSDs down to the bottom level so that this almost 30cm monster can wedge in there. :lol:

TL;DR - Wanted to play Forza 7 in 4k and Prey, some other stuff. :p

Last edited:
I haven't tried a keyboard with one of those big spacebars, I wonder how they feel compared to a traditional one.

I really like them. My elbows sit far out when I sit naturally, so my hands are rotated away from straight up-and-down. Reaching up with my thumbs to hit the normal space bar is a little more awkward than on these "taller" ones, which I can hit without pushing my thumbs further away from my torso...if that makes any sense.

It's a 275W GPU so you should be fine on out of the box clocks even if you have a monster CPU.

Cool, thanks. I'm rocking an i5 at auto-overclock, a couple of SSDs and not much else so it should be OK. :)

I really like them. My elbows sit far out when I sit naturally, so my hands are rotated away from straight up-and-down. Reaching up with my thumbs to hit the normal space bar is a little more awkward than on these "taller" ones, which I can hit without pushing my thumbs further away from my torso...if that makes any sense.

Makes sense. I'm more of a straight ahead typer, I prefer to type with my arms out straight, thinking about it though the natural position of my thumbs when typing is below the spacebar so I usually end up using my right index finger or left thumb. Yeah I type wierd. :p

I like to rest my elbows on my chairs arms, and those are a bit further out. I could angle 'em in a little, but I've got a fat ass and don't like having to turn them in and out all the time any time I need to get up.

I got myself a Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro a few days ago. So far I'm very pleased with it :)

5UhBwO2.jpg