The "New Toys" Thread

The case just arrived so its time to properly mount the CPU cooler and do some cable management. For the last week or two I've been running with the radiator hanging out of the case like a side car :lol:

It's fucking insane for my needs (All I'm using this for is a glorified word processor/email/finalgear/reddit/facebook machine) but damn that case looks awesome.

It's fucking insane for my needs (All I'm using this for is a glorified word processor/email/finalgear/reddit/facebook machine) but damn that case looks awesome.

That is my build in comparison to what I do. The toughest thing it has done so far is run Feed the Beast Minecraft, Starcraft, and Age of Empires 2. Yup, 8 cores completely being used to the max. :lol:

I will be getting Fallout 4 at some point, and some newer games, but that will have to wait until I see the right deals.

Haven't bought new lenses in many years, been happy with my gear setup. Came across a couple of deals I couldn't pass up, so I have some new glass on the way.

yHxpHG7.jpg

mlblFDs.jpg

I could almost have gotten more mileage out of the old system, the AMD FX-8120 was aging but still capable of high end gaming. Until I got an Oculus Rift. Suddenly throwing another $400 at an already powerful gaming PC seemed like a good idea.

Oh, and after the case swap the motherboard decided to not work anymore... I'd say stay away from used parts but the last motherboard I bought new only lasted a few months as well. There's a warranty but they are sure going to take their time to honor it (haven't even gotten a response in the 48 hour allotted time).

I will be getting Fallout 4 at some point, and some newer games, but that will have to wait until I see the right deals.

I've got that going on my 4 year old AMD A10-5800k and R9 270x PC. Plays well. :D

one of these arrived from germany, lets hope the Nexus 6P will have better batteylife than 3hours

Oh, and after the case swap the motherboard decided to not work anymore... I'd say stay away from used parts but the last motherboard I bought new only lasted a few months as well. There's a warranty but they are sure going to take their time to honor it (haven't even gotten a response in the 48 hour allotted time).

So as I was unhooking the motherboard to pack it for shipping, I noticed that the CPU might have just slightly been not seated properly :unsure:

Posting from the now completed PC build after an apparently self-imposed week of downtime :?

Not quite a toy as it was given (well demanded by me from head of internal IT :p) at work but here it is
Precision 5520:
Intel Core Xeon E3-1505M v6 (Quad Core Xeon 3.00GHz, 4.00GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W)
15.6 UltraSharp UHD IGZO (3840 x2160) Touch Wide View LED-backlit
32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non -ECC SDRAM
Intel WiFi Link 8265 Card (802 .11ac + BT 4.2), 2x2, MPWS
NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB
dell-precision-5520-nw-g07.jpg

That thing is a beast, screen is quite nice. Have it (at work) plugged into this thing:
LG 27UD68-P - 27" UHD IPS screen with USB-C (I frigging love USB-C)
medium01.jpg

So as I was unhooking the motherboard to pack it for shipping, I noticed that the CPU might have just slightly been not seated properly :unsure:

Posting from the now completed PC build after an apparently self-imposed week of downtime :?

When inserting the CPU, remember to wiggle it, just a little bit.

Go to 1:15,

Not quite a toy as it was given (well demanded by me from head of internal IT :p) at work but here it is
Precision 5520:
Intel Core Xeon E3-1505M v6 (Quad Core Xeon 3.00GHz, 4.00GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W)
15.6 UltraSharp UHD IGZO (3840 x2160) Touch Wide View LED-backlit
32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non -ECC SDRAM
Intel WiFi Link 8265 Card (802 .11ac + BT 4.2), 2x2, MPWS
NVIDIA Quadro M1200 w/4GB
dell-precision-5520-nw-g07.jpg

Nice one! Our top model is the same one at the moment, my upgrade is due in January I think, will be getting it or whatever replaces it until then. Though I prefer the 2K non-glare screen, imho Windows DPI scaling is still shit, and since we mostly have non-HD external monitors (DELL 24" IPS, 1920x1200) to work with I prefer disabling it entirely.

Nice one! Our top model is the same one at the moment, my upgrade is due in January I think, will be getting it or whatever replaces it until then. Though I prefer the 2K non-glare screen, imho Windows DPI scaling is still shit, and since we mostly have non-HD external monitors (DELL 24" IPS, 1920x1200) to work with I prefer disabling it entirely.
I don't use Windows :D your monitors are HD just not UHD. Yeah most of our standard monitors are FHDs since I was already bugging them for new hardware :D

one of these arrived from germany, lets hope the Nexus 6P will have better batteylife than 3hours

and finally i replaced battery:

to get these plastic/glass parts of i had to heat up them with hairdrier.

to this point it took me 15mins since just having the 6 screws holding the thing wasn't enoght, i have to pry the back case away too.

Last edited:
So, others are becoming iPhone levels of repair now?

Yeah, I have

Have you seen an iPhone on the inside? It's a nightmare.

Not so much. Not that hard to open, fairly modular, just need to know about long screw damage when reassembling the display bracket. Display replacement is straightforward if the home button is not damaged. Also not even that expensive considering the price of the phones. With samsung edge displays you are better off buying the whole screen assembly in a new frame. But those AMOLED panels don't come cheap.

Still way better than most HTC phones. The HTC 10 has the logic board on top of the battery.

LG is still the best at repairability. (in terms of getting it all disassembled). Otherwise troubling is that they often use logic board designs that include the charging port, rarely use daughter boards that would be easier to replace.

all modern phones have become more annoying to repair because of water resitant stuff. And glued on back panels.

Last edited:
I replaced the battery in my 6 Plus. It was a bit nerve-wracking but far from impossible and certainly nothing I can't be bothered to do once per phone.

d4bd3bbcc4e4697ff25829069248afa5f0c06e13.jpeg

I feel very conscious about buying this thing :|