The "New Toys" Thread

There isn't a particular reason why I didn't go for Ryzen, I haven't been following them other than the odd video from Blunty while I've been following Intel quite closely as friends have also upgraded their systems. I didn't even research Ryzen, I don't know where I would start in finding an equivalent CPU. I see models at the same price but I don't know if that means equivalent performance. :dunno:

Fair enough.

Ryzen is split in such a way that you can easily correlate them with rival intel processors (Ryzen 3,5, and 7 with Core i3, i5, and i7 respectively). Higher model number equals better. A lot of Ryzen's hype is that, for the first time in half a decade or so, AMD has a legitimate competitor to Intel's offerings. Though they lag behind in clock speed, they generally have higher core/thread counts than their intel equivalents at similar price points, which helps if you do work that scales well across multiple threads (which gaming isn't). If you're using it for gaming, you're better off with intel, but if you're using it for productivity you may get a small advantage with Ryzen.

The option will always be there I suppose to delid and upgrade the thermal compound at the same time.

Yeah, you don't *have* to delid it when it arrives. ;)
Congrats on the new build. Do remember that K-series processors have higher TDP's and do not come with an included cooler so budget accordingly.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Ryzen is split in such a way that you can easily correlate them with rival intel processors (Ryzen 3,5, and 7 with Core i3, i5, and i7 respectively). Higher model number equals better. A lot of Ryzen's hype is that, for the first time in half a decade or so, AMD has a legitimate competitor to Intel's offerings. Though they lag behind in clock speed, they generally have higher core/thread counts than their intel equivalents at similar price points, which helps if you do work that scales well across multiple threads (which gaming isn't). If you're using it for gaming, you're better off with intel, but if you're using it for productivity you may get a small advantage with Ryzen.

Yeah, you don't *have* to delid it when it arrives. ;)
Congrats on the new build. Do remember that K-series processors have higher TDP's and do not come with an included cooler so budget accordingly.

It'll be a mixture (my 1080Ti will be going in there), certainly there will be gaming so it should be all good. I'm happy to see that AMD are competitive again, I started out PC building with an Athlon 64 X2 and was a big fan until the Phenom came out. I've been Intel ever since.

The Captain 240EX should take care of things nicely cooling wise. TDP is listed as 150W, all fine and good but surprisingly less than the 190W listed for the Dark Rock 3 that I'll be putting on this i5 when it goes over to server duty. Silence is the goal there though and the cooler on the current Core 2 Quad is passive so I'll be very critical. I chose that over the Corsair offering because it has pretty lights that match up to the front case fans I will be receiving tomorrow. The stock Corsair fans are coming out of the 570X RGB because screw manually controller colours when I can sync the lot. I'm going all in on the RGB because it'll go out of fashion in a few years so I want to enjoy it while I can. :p

I just built a Ryzen 7 system and I am more than happy with it. But if I were to start a new build, I would go with the i7-8700 CPU.

At this point, it is better as an all around CPU for the price. But that might change in 9 months when AMD releases Ryzen 2.

The last year has been fairly crazy in the computer world. Intel has released 3 new CPU series. The seventh gen with Kaby lake, the x299 board series(don't know the silly name off the top of my head), and now Coffee lake. And AMD has released the Ryzen series and the Vega graphics cards. Crypto currency miners have driven up the price of video cards so that older cards have even maintained their values better than previously. RAM prices are up along with SSDs.

Another piece of the puzzle has turned up, the Deepcool RGB fans. They came all the way from California in 2 days, impressive. Of course Amazon in the UK now has the back in stock...

DSC_0549_P_S1024.jpg

DSC_0551_P_S1024.jpg

These are the cables that I was going to miss if I had bought individual fans. The PWM splitter on the left is easy enough to come by but thanks to its proprietary connectors I can only get the one on the right with this kit.

DSC_0552_P_S1024.jpg

Went to CitizenCon in Frankfurt where in a sponsorship deal with Intel 150 attendees won an Intel 900P 240GB PCIe SSD.

intel_optane_ssd_900P_intel_1509109796669.jpg

I was one of them. :mrgreen:

Went to CitizenCon in Frankfurt where in a sponsorship deal with Intel 150 attendees won an Intel 900P 240GB PCIe SSD.

intel_optane_ssd_900P_intel_1509109796669.jpg

is that a big SSD in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :wicked:

Damn, congratulations!

Another part of my puzzle turned up today:

DSC_0555_P_S1024.jpg

It turns out that there are two versions of this cooler, both with the same name and both sold on Amazon for the same price but one comes with RGB fans and the other comes with standard fans plus an RGB LED strip. I was a little concerned with past experience of Amazon mislabelling similar items but this is the correct one and the fans are exactly the same as the set of three fans I already had, save for a different sticker (despite being Deepcool this is badged as GamerStorm).

My 570X came today too but it isn't very photogenic at the moment. I've made a start with the installation, swapping out the Corsair RGB fans for the Aura-controlled Deepcool ones, installing the PSU and half installing the cooler. The radiator is mounted but will probably have to come out again, the motherboard back plate is in too. Just need the CPU now, only a few days to wait. :)

Last edited:
I had a drive failure in my media storage array and took the time to do some upgrades.

This storage should last me at least 6 months....
7oxlMCP.png

bSdQuZ8.png

My workstation is sitting at around 10TB of space as well...
70INuu5.png

My homelab now contains a grand total of 40 cores and 160GB of RAM spread across 3 Windows Server 2016 hosts. One is a whitebox with dual E5-2670s and 96GB of RAM, and I have a pair of identical R710s with dual X5650s and 32GB of RAM.

I also got some fancy new fully dye-sub keycaps for the Coolermaster Masterkeys L I use at work.
RD9Awxx.jpg

My fingers got busy while I wasn't paying attention this afternoon:
egrFUTm.png

... should be enough drive bays for a while....

Last edited:
New phone:

essential_phone_black_front_back.png

Not that I wanted one, but by signing for a 2 year contract I get a better plan than what I had before, for 7.50$ less per month, and the Essential Phone came for free.

It's actually a very nice phone, so my One+3 is now relegated to back-up/travel phone duty.

The trend toward full face screened phones doesn?t seem to be a good idea for when we all drop our phones. What case will still provide good protection?

The new D Brand Grip has need advertising all over YouTube. Haven't seen one in person, but Linus was literally throwing it over his shoulder against a wall in the sponsored spots during their last "Scrapyard Wars".

I want one but 60$ for a case is just too much, 20-30 and i wouldve gotten one for myself, since i use dbrand skins on my phone

Philip Franco (youtuber) had some sort of deal where it was 50% off with his discount code. The deal has come and gone a couple times. If it pops up again, I'll try to remember to mention it.

The trend toward full face screened phones doesn?t seem to be a good idea for when we all drop our phones. What case will still provide good protection?

FWIW I am particularly clumsy with my phones. Use Spigen SlimArmor and haven't broken one, ever. Note 8 chugging along nicely.

My daughter threw it down the stairs the other day. Perfectly fine.

So I bought one of these.

24-025-514-V09.jpg

It is a 34" LG. It was delivered today, but I haven't set it up yet.

We got the 29" non-gaming version of that for my wife. I was pleasantly surprised by the picture and color quality. I would imagine that one would be even better.
It works really well for having 3 documents open side-by-side-by-side.

Last edited:
We got the 29" non-gaming version of that for my wife. I was pleasantly surprised by the picture and color quality. I would imagine that one would be even better.
It works really well for having 3 documents open side-by-side-by-side.

I get to plug into one when I'm working in one of my clients' offices at a hoteling desk. Super nice. At that shallow of a desk, I with it were curved as those far corners are a little distorted due to the perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Philip Franco (youtuber) had some sort of deal where it was 50% off with his discount code. The deal has come and gone a couple times. If it pops up again, I'll try to remember to mention it.

It's back. $30 and free shipping in the US.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dbrand-grip-phone-case?secret_perk_token=679efd49

FWIW I am particularly clumsy with my phones. Use Spigen SlimArmor and haven't broken one, ever. Note 8 chugging along nicely.

My daughter threw it down the stairs the other day. Perfectly fine.

Spigen <3 Had Slim Armor on my LG G2 and now I've had Neo Hybrid on my Oneplus 3T. Awesome cases.

I've used the Neo Hybrid on all of my last phones, and will on my next. Note 5, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S6, my girlfriend's S6, me iPhone 5C and iphone 4 all had Spigen Neo Hybrid.

I even bought a knock-off of the case and still liked them better than most other cases.