The "New Toys" Thread

Some of the car cleaning YouTubers have adopted the drill brushes, very effective if rough on the fabric. I personally hate that kind of attachment on drills since using wire brushes, they're so awkward and I'd much rather be using something like a die or angle grinder. Maybe neither are practical for a bathroom though...

Interesting note on the weight of the drill driver, I've always thought the same thing and Adam Savage recently remarked about how much he likes the lightweight (and now apparently discontinued) Makita 10.8V drill driver he has. That one uses the Bosch/Dremel style stick battery. Nowhere near as powerful but I might pick one up for light work on 3D prints and whatnot.

1606735367850.png

I was drilling 12mm, 70mm deep holes in brick with my Makita hammer drill yesterday and it was barely enough but it did the job.

And since I've started down the Ryobi path, hot glue all the things!

photo_2020-12-01_20-48-14.jpg

Only used it briefly so far, but seems nice. Sturdy, very easy to control the exact amount of glue you need, heats up similarly quickly to the corded Steinel I used before, and is much better at not falling over than the Steinel.

Now only to find a good deal on the R18SV7 vacuum...

Last edited:
I have one of those in my Amazon 'saved for later' list, I'm waiting for the price to go down but it just went up by £10! I'll see if I can get one in the new year sales. No matter what it is the batter adapter will be almost as expensive as the thing itself. :LOL:

One tip with the glue gun: the battery can be heavy (especially for me as I got rid of all of my smaller batteries when I sold some other tools...). Try to get into the habit of just tilting the gun forward, and moving your piece (if it's small enough). This makes long sessions less fatiguing.

Why do you guys need so much hot glue?

For me it's mostly the RC hobby - a lot of my planes are foamboard construction with a significant fractional mass of hot glue holding them together. For that this gun is actually extra useful, since it enables serious repairs in the field.

I help my girlfriend make architectural models sometimes. Also, for sealing and attaching things when making concrete casting molds. I sometimes use it to temporarily hold pieces of wood together to make clamping easier, or temporarily holding drawer fronts onto the drawer box until i can screw it in place.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Those are two examples where such an equipment is very useful.

I just don't like trailing a cable over when I want to use hot glue. It isn't that often but I'm all for convenience and the price is right for an occasional tool.

I just don't like trailing a cable over when I want to use hot glue. It isn't that often but I'm all for convenience and the price is right for an occasional tool.
This is exactly the reason I'm looking at a decent cordless handheld/stick vacuum. Since I use a robot vacuum regularly, I really only need a "real" one quite rarely, to get the corners where the robot can't go, or clean up an occasional mess, or have someone hold it under the drill to not mess up the place with dust to begin with. Getting out the big corded vacuum, plugging it in and then rolling up the cord and stowing it all again after 3 minutes of use is a faff. The new Ryobi (R18SV7) is expensive at €200-ish, but would be a lot more convenient to use in these situations...

This is exactly the reason I'm looking at a decent cordless handheld/stick vacuum. Since I use a robot vacuum regularly, I really only need a "real" one quite rarely, to get the corners where the robot can't go, or clean up an occasional mess, or have someone hold it under the drill to not mess up the place with dust to begin with. Getting out the big corded vacuum, plugging it in and then rolling up the cord and stowing it all again after 3 minutes of use is a faff. The new Ryobi (R18SV7) is expensive at €200-ish, but would be a lot more convenient to use in these situations...
Depending on your usage something like the R18PV may be more suitable as it can be used hands free as a dust extractor too if/when you need it.

1606919826391.png

It's essentially Ryboi's version of the Bosch GAS18V-10L that I have but isn't a wet vac it seems. Handles bigger mess more easily than a stick and more convenient for car cleaning IMO. Cheaper too.

I like the tactical hot glue gun.

Depending on your usage something like the R18PV may be more suitable as it can be used hands free as a dust extractor too if/when you need it.

It's essentially Ryboi's version of the Bosch GAS18V-10L that I have but isn't a wet vac it seems. Handles bigger mess more easily than a stick and more convenient for car cleaning IMO. Cheaper too.
Looks pretty neat. A bit more bulky than the stick, and apparently despite having the same power ("Airwatts" - never heard of the term, apparently it's a standard thing now?) it chews through a 5Ah pack in 15 minutes, while the R18SV7 goes for 35-40. Given that I only have two 1.5Ah packs that came with the drill, the stick is a better option for now imho - 10-ish minutes should usually easily be enough for my typical use cases. I also may or may not have ordered one already <.< >.>

When I have a garage and some more tools that produce (saw-)dust, may be worth looking into again though.

Why do you guys need so much hot glue?

Last time I used it I had ripped the guts out of an old desk phone to fit a wireless microphone bodypack inside. The idea was to make a desk phone where you can speak into the mouthpiece and have it come out through the stage PA system. I used a couple sticks to glue the buttons on the phone in place since there wasn't a circuit board holding them in anymore.

After that I built a franken-kinder using the contents of many kinder surprise eggs. :p

The GTX 960 lasted almost 4 years, now it's time for a Gigabyte RX 5500 XT to switch back completely to AMD. :)

Current setup:
ASRock B450 Pro4
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
2x8 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200
Gigabyte RX 5500 XT 8 GB
Asus Xonar DX soundcard
Kingston A2000 M.2 PCIe SSD 512 GB
Crucial MX100 SATA SSD 256 GB
Seagate ST4000 HDD 4 TB

71WFUqcVUuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

One of these. A used, but seemingly very lightly used MSI Aero GeForce GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC for some €280. Will be helpful for uni, even more so for the winter break(s). I still need to acquire a 2x6-pin to 8-pin adaptor, which I'm planning to order tomorrow from eBay, as I had no luck sourcing one locally.

With that being done, the only piece of hardware I'm planning to upgrade is the SSD. At least until spring, I may upgrade the CPU (if the PSU could handle an 8-core Xeon on top of an overclocked GTX 1080) and RAM, as well as the HDD. But for now, getting that little adaptor that's made out of unobtanium and upgrading the SSD to something that can make use of SATA III interface are much higher priorities.

I will also need to spend some money on titles to test the GPU with, as I don't really happen to have anything demanding, and the most demanding free-to-play game that I'm interested in seems to be Forza Motorsport 6: Apex.

I got me am iPad Pro 11 because I got annoyed at reading so much stuff on the couch on my small phone... maybe a little overkill, but I’ll put it to good use. Also at ~730€ it seemed like a better deal than the air4 with less power and no 120Hz (same storage doesn’t exist, but the 256gb air is already much more).
May get the Apple Pencil just for the fun of it :p

I released my about 27 year old Panasonic RX-DT680 radio/cd/cassette thing from its duties as a bedroom stereo and replaced it with a Karcher DAB 7000i DAB+/Internet radio/Bluetooth/USB thingy.
Definitely no improvement in sound quality, but given that I almost exclusively listen to radio news and podcasts, I can live with that. The self-synchronizing clock alone is worth it, as it means the device can wake me up with the news and I actually don't miss the first minute after a while. :D