The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah I know electrical tape or marker works, but sometimes when there’s a problem with my connection a quick glance at the lights can tell me where the problem is...

It’s mainly the ‘using wifi’ might that flickers nonstop because when are you ever not connected tot wifi?

Does dark masking tape work? Can you still remove it without making everything sticky?

Yeah I know electrical tape or marker works, but sometimes when there’s a problem with my connection a quick glance at the lights can tell me where the problem is...

It’s mainly the ‘using wifi’ might that flickers nonstop because when are you ever not connected tot wifi?

Does dark masking tape work? Can you still remove it without making everything sticky?
Gaff tape. Unless it goes through temperature cycles or stays on for a long time, but that's an issue with any tape that isn't masking tape for paint.

also, come February, I’ll hopefully have one of these, because it seems I’m old and a sucker for kitchen gadgets:
lol February :bangin:

Anyway it has arrived! Now what to actually cook with it?
signal-2021-03-23-112917.jpeg

Aaaaaaaaaaaah , I am so jealous!

Already failed the OTA firmware update a few times (at some point it did work) and stunk up the whole place with the stupid "burn-in" procedure. Now let's wait for the leakage, as I've just put about 1 L of water in there...

An oven with OTA updates? What could possibly go wrong?

I'll make sure to send all of my horrible experiences with it straight to https://twitter.com/internetofshit ?
TBH while I never saw the need for the app and connectivity with the anova soud vide stick thing, with this it's a different story, since it can actually make staggered recipes with multiple different stages more convenient to handle. totally possible without app and connectivity, I'll admit, but less convenient.

As long as the oven works without internet, good. If it's like HP's newer printers where I'm reading if you stop subscribing, they lock you out of your printer, then fuck IoT stuff.

I just wish my coffee maker, microwave and stove would be connected so they would have a coherent opinion of what time it is.

I just wish my coffee maker, microwave and stove would be connected so they would have a coherent opinion of what time it is.

That is your job.

That is your job.

I guess. I don't even understand why a microwave needs a clock. The stove and coffee maker actually have timer features which means they need to know what time it is.

Funny enough, despite the fact that the oven is connected and everything, it does not have a clock - it could show the time while it's off or something, but as it stands now, it doesn't... feature request? :D

Also yes, it does work just fine without being connected. You only lose out on the multi-stage control from the app and a few rare edge cases.

I guess. I don't even understand why a microwave needs a clock. The stove and coffee maker actually have timer features which means they need to know what time it is.

I never set the clock on the microwave for the same reason. As a bonus, it triggers my brother in law and he will ask if he can set it. lol

In my case all my appliances except fridge could be connected and the only one I've connected is coffee station. I just don't see the point.

As mentioned in the Random Thoughs - Tech thread, I've recently been on a look out for a new wireless mechanical keyboard and a fitting mouse. A few days after that post, my search has failed to produce anything better than the initially envisioned Logitech G613 / G603 combo, so without further ado, I went and bought the things.

IMG_0841.1024.jpeg

As was the intent, the wireless setup has helped clean up the desk considerably. Have been using the combo for about half a day now, first impressions are decent enough.

The keyboard:
- It's heeeeavy. Not a bad thing for desktop keyboard, no way it moves around without me wanting it to. Not recommended for couch "lap keyboard" usage though.
- Palm rest is non-removable. Not an issue for me, but some people dislike them a lot. Also adds to the "not for use on couch" factor.
- Switches are good. More comparable in feel to Cherry MX Browns that I used to have a while back than to the Blues of the Das Keyboard, but still decently tactile and not overly loud.
- The G-Keys are there. I don't really have a use for them, and annoyingly, it seems a couple years of a keyboard without them have cost a toll - I've hit them a couple times instead of Ctrl or Shift when moving hands to the keyboard initially :) Should go away though, since I used G keyboards in the past with no such issues.

The mouse:
- It's a yet another iteration on the MX510/MX518 basic design, in wireless. Works well enough. No fancy stuff like adjustable weights I had in the G500/G500s, but it feels about right with the two AA batteries that it takes. Thumb buttons for "forward-back" are nice, and less likely to be pressed accidentally than on my old G500s.

All in all, for 145€, I'm happy so far. Will see if the near future shows any points to not like.

I wanted to replace my backup external hard drive with something more reliable. It's a Seagate 2Tb spinning disk hard drive, that is reasonably fast (blue USB ports)

As for it's replacement I decided to go the "DIY-ish" way and buy a an SSD housing and just stick and M.2 NVMe SSD in there. I went for an Icy Box SSD enclosure and a Kingston A2000 1Tb SSD. Anyways, got this for less than what a 1Tb Samsung T5 og T7 external SSD would cost me.

tempImage5PS8iS.jpg

Feels very much like a well built quality product, according to the spec it should deliver about 1000 Mb/s both read/write, but in reality it's more like 650 read/write, still plenty fast for my use. The housing is also very effective at dispersing the heat from that M.2 SSD, as it got quite toasty after 20 minuets of transferring all of the files from the old HDD-based external disk that I used.

Comes with a double set of all the little screws you need to put it together, two strips of thermal pads and two cables, one with a USB-C in both ends, and one USB-C to USB-A.

My Shure earphones bit the bullet and I'm getting tired of replacing the cables on them as they're really low quality and get oxidized way too fast.

Image from iOS.jpg

Reactions: LP