The "New Toys" Thread

I got the annual bonus from the company, so i got enought money to buy not one but two Lamborghinis!

Attachments

• bonus.png
    bonus.png
    763.7 KB · Views: 82
I've just ordered a Fairphone 4. 🙂 Since it's guaranteed to receive five years of updates I'm expecting to use it at least for that long. My current Smartphone (Motorola g7 Play) hasn't received security updates in a year so it's gonna be retired after just 2 1/2 years of usage. I will install LineageOS on the Motorola though so I can try that without having to fear bricking my only mobile communication device...

That's the price for outstanding repairability...

It's still less than an iPhone Pro Max, which is a bit of a beast but doesn't feel too heavy to me. Seems like a good deal, especially with the replaceable battery. 48MP camera sounds good too, I'll have to look up some sample images.

We had Motorolas at work until very recently, just had to replace a bunch of almost-new phones because Motorola just ended support. We have to have supported phones or lose accreditations. Replaced with iPhone SEs, we know those will be supported for longer.

I've just ordered a Fairphone 4. 🙂 Since it's guaranteed to receive five years of updates I'm expecting to use it at least for that long. My current Smartphone (Motorola g7 Play) hasn't received security updates in a year so it's gonna be retired after just 2 1/2 years of usage. I will install LineageOS on the Motorola though so I can try that without having to fear bricking my only mobile communication device...
huh, that is actually a really good phone. somehow I was under the impression that the earlier fairphones fell short in quite a few meaningful ways, so this actually surpised me. nice choice.

To be fair (pun intended 😉) you could get a Smartphone with the same SoC, amount of RAM and flash for roughly half the price, for example the Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite or the OnePlus Nord CE 5G, but on one hand you don't know how long those will receive security updates and on the other hand you can't repair anything with those phones. The replaceable battery means you can just get a new one in 3 years when the battery life shortens and have the battery life of a new phone so the lifetime of the phone gets extended.

Well sure, it should be obvious that you're paying a premium for the "fair" part of the phone. but I was just going by the phone specs itself - those are very decent, and at least iirc, the earlier fairphones were always a bit lacking in that regard (totally irrespective of price) no?

I have no idea, I'm not interested in specs of smartphones when I know the one I have is adequate. When the first Fairphones were released I haven't been in the market for a smartphone so I never thought about those.

delete

Last edited:
I have no idea, I'm not interested in specs of smartphones when I know the one I have is adequate. When the first Fairphones were released I haven't been in the market for a smartphone so I never thought about those.

1649467293729.png

After trying and liking SA keycaps with my mishmash set, I decided to finally get a proper set so I actually had labels on all of the keys. This is actually an MG profile keycap set, which is slightly shorter in height and is more dished than traditional SA, but it's close enough.

Excuse the dust, I've been reassembling my desk after taking the top off my Fredde desk and re-fitting it the other way around to get rid of the cutout at the front.

This is a kind of generic made-in-China style keyset that didn't cost anywhere near as much as a complete set from Signature Plastics would cost, especially as it came with the ISO set, colour keys and all of the variations of key sizes. I need those for this keyboard as it has some unusually shaped keys. It's still double-shot ABS though and feels well made. One key is still wrong for a UK keyboard layout, see if you can spot it.

Sold on Amazon UK here:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NZQNGTG

I accidentally a 42" LG C2 OLED. To be delivered in the week. This will replace the 40" Samsung 4K TV I've been using as a monitor for about 4 years, it's still going strong and is a good monitor but this is just better. Not least because it's 120Hz.

1653167904915.png

Decided that I'm just not into Ham Radio and CB is dying out. Everyone is going to GMRS, so I picked this up to see if I want to swap the Xterra's onboard radios out for a single GMRS and put another one in the Jeep. I'm still keeping my Ham license and handhelds in case I do a trip with one of my friends who haven't gone GMRS yet.

1655916159694.png

Everyone is going to GMRS, so I picked this up to see if I want to swap the Xterra's onboard radios out for a single GMRS and put another one in the Jeep.

Waitaminute, did I miss you guys getting a Jeep?

Also let me know how that GMRS works out for you, been eyeing the usual Baofengs but that's a nice-looking unit.

Kiki picked up a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon last fall as a project. Work has been slow.

Last edited:
It's Kiki's to post and she wants to get it sorted and at least plated before posting.