The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah, we talked about that in the thread I made when asking about the case...
But remember, I'm from Germany. HD is only some selected movies and almost always HDCP'd and PayTV.
Lost Season 2 and some NCIS is the exception, afaik.

AND: Everything in h.264 transmitted via DVB-S2 for which there is only one card (buggy and expensive, and not certified by the PayTV company...)
The PC could handle te decoding just fine, I'd reckon... ;-)

Got a normal DVB-S card, PAL isn't truly bad, especially since some stations started to push @ 7-8 Mbit

Whats the advantage for a Media PC like that over a HDD / DVD player?.. Im getting a Kiss, its pretty much a Tivo without the fees.

Which Kiss? 600? Thats the only HighDef one, and it can't record. It can't play games and it will never play h.264... And it doesn't have a tuner, so no TiVo. The others can't adequately deliver a proper picture on my HD screen.
It also can't play games or properly surf the web and it can't be your download computer.

Also, if stuff goes wrong on the software side, I wanna be able to fix it and not wait 2 months until kiss flicks out another firmware thats full of other bugs...

Just got:

Panasonic Lumix TZ1
http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/3603/panasoniclumixtz1reviewxk6.jpg
Dane Elec 512mb Card
http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/867/b000233wtgnn0.jpg

Then last week...the inevitable...

Xbox 360 Premium Package
http://img140.imageshack.**/img140/4775/premiumua5.jpg
And 7 games:
Project Gotham 3
Test Drive: Unlimited
NBA 2K7
Madden 07
Just Cause
Rockstar Table Tennis
Dead Rising

Buba said:
But remember, I'm from Germany. HD is only some selected movies and almost always HDCP'd and PayTV.
Lost Season 2 and some NCIS is the exception, afaik.

AND: Everything in h.264 transmitted via DVB-S2 for which there is only one card (buggy and expensive, and not certified by the PayTV company...)
The PC could handle te decoding just fine, I'd reckon... ;-)

Got a normal DVB-S card, PAL isn't truly bad, especially since some stations started to push @ 7-8 Mbit

i'm a moron. sorry!

Buba said:

i'm a moron. sorry!

Lilleput said:
Whats the advantage for a Media PC like that over a HDD / DVD player?.. Im getting a Kiss, its pretty much a Tivo without the fees.

customization.

i have a dual tuner HD DVR with upscaling DVD player and 1.5 GB of hard drive space (192 hours of HD content according to Tivo's calculations) for a bit less than an HD Tivo. And i can play all my video content, house my music, export to DVD, add more drive space, add client systems to access the recordings, etc.

i use SageTV

http://www.sagtv.com

The Kiss has the live channel guide where you can pick what to record (So it can record!) It's HD, it can pause live television, it has games (Card games :roll: ) you can controll it via. you mobile... AND it does not make a sound.

Sorry, but i dont get it.. I can play games in my living room on my ps2 or my Xbox360 and i never wanted to have akeyboard and a muse lying around on my living room table.

sandor_ said:
i have a dual tuner HD DVR with upscaling DVD player and 1.5 GB of hard drive space (192 hours of HD content according to Tivo's calculations) for
I assume you mean 1.5TB unless you have some wacky compression.

Some nice new stuff there.

I've some new bling as well:

2gb G.skill HZ DDR500
http://img102.imageshack.**/img102/6224/img2238ab2.th.jpg

Motorola E815
http://img141.imageshack.**/img141/4622/img2266webcm4.th.jpg http://img353.imageshack.**/img353/2049/img2259websq4.th.jpg

I'm very happy with the new RAM, it's overclocking well and giving good timings as well. The new E815 does basically everything a RAZR does, but it isn't one so it actually stays together properly. Overall, I must say that I'm very happy with both purchases.

Lilleput said:
The Kiss has the live channel guide where you can pick what to record (So it can record!) It's HD, it can pause live television, it has games (Card games :roll: ) you can controll it via. you mobile... AND it does not make a sound.

Sorry, but i dont get it.. I can play games in my living room on my ps2 or my Xbox360 and i never wanted to have akeyboard and a muse lying around on my living room table.

Again: The only HighDef Kiss is the DP 600 atm, and that one doesn't have a recorder...
http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=dvd3&v=users
Those 2 can record, but aren't HD...

The 600:
First release of a new generation of Networked DVD and Media Players, the DP-600 will seduce you by it?s quality and its ability to playback video in High Definition. Its Ethernet and Wi-Fi Network Connectivity will amaze you, giving you ability to subscribe and stream Video-On-Demand and IP-Television Services. KiSS Online will change the way you look at your television, you can now check what?s on TV today, listen to WebRadio, view the weather forecast, see the latest stock indices and play games. Connect your PC to the KiSS DP-600 and play all your Multimedia files directly to your television with KiSS PC-Link. And of course, the DP-600 will also play all your DVDs, DivX, Windows Media 9, Nero Digital, MP3 and the majority of the file format available.

It says it can do IPTV, which has jsut started and costs tons of money and it says NOTHING about recording.

I like the Idea of having a frontend for your Media Server, but since I don't have another place to put that, I gotta have it in the living room as well... And then it doesn't make any sense..

I just upgraded my phone to this.

photo_treo650_specs_1.jpg

It's not the best that's out there (obviously), but it's a step up from where I was.

^quite a bit of buttons on that thing, must be able to do quite a lot

Here's my new phone:

samsung_e900_b.jpg

best thing about it is it's 2mp "not as crappy as normal phone cams, but still not good" camera :)

Is it a D900? Thats what I would be considering atm...
Good choice!!

E900, the D is the more expensive model with a 3mp camera.
Love it so far, but the first one i got already broke after 3 days, i didn't drop it, didn't spill anything over it, nothing really. And most of the buttons just decided to stop working. But because it was within 8 days i could just return it and get a new one. So far that one works fine.

Two big poor points are that the battery only goes along for about 3 days (thats if you don't talk much and don't use the mp3 player. The other bad point is that the cancel button is uber sensitive, and the navigation hud is so close to it, so if you miss by one millimeter you go back to the phone's "desktop".

Yeah, when I tried the D900 the touch sensitive buttons were irritating, but I reckon you get used to it quickly...

Whenever a cellphone gives up on me the operator sends a new one within 48 hours, no questions asked. The Dude from UPS or GLS just comes to your door and changes it.
Thanks to a pretty good business contract. I even get the hardware 25% cheaper ;-)

BTW: What happened to your nice Audi avatar?

//edit: Crapomatic, I passed 4 k posts and didn't see it... Would have loved a proper Spamfest...

Buba said:
//edit: Crapomatic, I passed 4 k posts and didn't see it... Would have loved a proper Spamfest...

Damn, Haven't I had more posts than you just yesterday? How time flies.

Anyway, I got a new toy too. My first cellphone in fact It's a A V3i and there are lots of buttons to press, most of which seem to be designed to connect with the download portal of my provider. I'm not kidding. This thing wants to go online desperately. Took me a while to change the browser setting to some bogus numbers.

Buba said:
Yeah, when I tried the D900 the touch sensitive buttons were irritating, but I reckon you get used to it quickly...

Whenever a cellphone gives up on me the operator sends a new one within 48 hours, no questions asked. The Dude from UPS or GLS just comes to your door and changes it.
Thanks to a pretty good business contract. I even get the hardware 25% cheaper ;-)

I finally gave up Samsung after I bought my D500 about 1.5 years ago and I remember you telling after I bought the phone how it doesn't vibrate and ring at the same time, it pissed me off so bad I changed phones after 1 month :lol:

are current samsungs still the same?

peter3hg2 said:
sandor_ said:
i have a dual tuner HD DVR with upscaling DVD player and 1.5 GB of hard drive space (192 hours of HD content according to Tivo's calculations) for
I assume you mean 1.5TB unless you have some wacky compression.

quite right.

andyhui01 said:
Buba said:

I finally gave up Samsung after I bought my D500 about 1.5 years ago and I remember you telling after I bought the phone how it doesn't vibrate and ring at the same time, it pissed me off so bad I changed phones after 1 month :lol:

are current samsungs still the same?

Ha, yeah they still can't vibrate and ring at the same time :?

And it took them 3 weeks to replace the phone, slow bastards, and not even a single call about why it was taking so long or what the exact situation was.

ps, i don't remember an audi avatar