The "New Toys" Thread

That system is very nice, but the case it's in, looks like something that comes out the backside of a robot. It's hideous. Cheap looking plastic thing. This is a personal thing as well, but Alienware rigs are rubbish value for money. I could easily build a better rig for much less and have it perform better, as well.

//Awaits sliverstar's bashing... :banana:

Got a Creative Zen Vision:M 30Gb and a Sony 17" LCD Monitor

http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/6491/dsc00482kj8.jpg http://img243.imageshack.**/img243/3149/dsc00485gy8.jpg

That guy must be filthy rich. That processor is ~1000? alone. :?
But anyway, you could have just built an almost as fast computer probably with that 1000? and get a 30" Dell monitor with the money left.

I just wish I was that rich.. :|

Last edited:
Well...finally got my computer today.

Alienware Area-51 7500. Was a birthday present :p
http://img246.imageshack.**/img246/4055/p1010201mp1.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/5215/p1010206zt1.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.**/img220/5185/p1010227zh7.jpg

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo X6800@2.93GHz
2gb Corsair DDR2 PC6400
x2 SLI enabled nVidia GeForce 7950GT's
nVidia Stripe 250gb HDD
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi

It's great having a system that isn't bogging while playing the lastest fads in gaming. Flight Simulator X runs as smooth as a babies bottom, and BF2 runs with the frames maxed out :D

Installed F.E.A.R., need to wait to play that during the day time, so I don't have nightmares :)

Here it is up to my old system w/ old chassis. Got the old one 2 1/2 years ago when I was recovering from back surgery. It did me well, went through a power supply, graphics card and a couple fans. But it help up and I'll probably set it up on another desk when we move.
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/3222/p1010217oe3.jpg

Are all Alienware's watercooled?

Nice way to show off that you don't know anything about computers, anyway
That's very uncalled for.

I know very well on how to build a system from scratch. My best friend and I built his system a couple years ago, my first one. And since I've been living here, a troop of my father's invited me to build systems with him to sell, and so far we've gotten a decsent amount done. Just because I buy a pre-made, am I marked as a PC idiot? Seriously :no:

This system, at the time I purchased it (mid October). The price on the market to build my own was $3700, the same price I bought this for. I'm not in the position to buy parts and wait for them, way too many things going on in my life to wait around for UPS or FEDEX to bring them. I love building systems, I enjoy it...but when I have the phone ringing every day, military people showing up all the time, and other things...it's hard to get around to do things for myself.

That system is very nice, but the case it's in, looks like something that comes out the backside of a robot. It's hideous. Cheap looking plastic thing. This is a personal thing as well, but Alienware rigs are rubbish value for money. I could easily build a better rig for much less and have it perform better, as well.
Ya know, the more I look at it in person, it does look a bit hideous. Not to mention the placement of the power button. I was a bit amazed with the first Alien-looking chassis that my first one was. It was something different that's for sure.
That guy must be filthy rich. That processor is ~1000? alone.
Heh, I wish.
Are all Alienware's watercooled?
No, it's an option.

Last edited:
Got a Creative Zen Vision:M 30Gb and a Sony 17" LCD Monitor

http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/6491/dsc00482kj8.jpg http://img243.imageshack.**/img243/3149/dsc00485gy8.jpg
A year or so back I saw a Sony monitor like that, and man it had nice rich contrast. And I like that Zen, when did they come out? Not much of a gadget guy.

I'm quite sure you could build a similar performing system for half of that money, and with a case which doesn't look like shit.

I agree, you could build a similar system for less than that. But I do not agree that that case looks like shit. I think the Alienware cases are ultimate. I want, no, need one.

I agree, you could build a similar system for less than that. But I do not agree that that case looks like shit. I think the Alienware cases are ultimate. I want, no, need one.

There are companies that make similar cases, like Raidmax. Dont go out and buy a Ailenware system, that would be insane.

I'd rather have the quality feeling of an all-aluminium Lian-Li in a stylish, sober case like, uhm, a Lian-Li case.
Maybe that's why I have a Lian-Li case, too ;)

But well, tastes differ, and I can understand that if you don't have much time to build and configure a system your own you buy a prebuilt one. But I'd buy a $1500 now, sell it next year for half the money, and buy a brand new one, instead of spending 3700 at once only to see the value value of it going down incredibly fast as those toplevel components get replaced by a newer model and at once are worth half their money.

Bought myself a 4gig iPod Nano of eBay for ?50 a few weeks ago, almost perfect con-dish. Will also be adding this to my iPd collection very soon-

ipod_u2_fnb_tn.jpg

30gb IPod U2 Limited Edition(yes I'm a HUGE fan), I'm selling my old 20gb U2 on eBay to pay for it as I like the idea of watching TG on the train.................or in Maths.

That's very uncalled for.

I know very well on how to build a system from scratch. My best friend and I built his system a couple years ago, my first one. And since I've been living here, a troop of my father's invited me to build systems with him to sell, and so far we've gotten a decsent amount done. Just because I buy a pre-made, am I marked as a PC idiot? Seriously :no:

This system, at the time I purchased it (mid October). The price on the market to build my own was $3700, the same price I bought this for. I'm not in the position to buy parts and wait for them, way too many things going on in my life to wait around for UPS or FEDEX to bring them. I love building systems, I enjoy it...but when I have the phone ringing every day, military people showing up all the time, and other things...it's hard to get around to do things for myself.

Ya know, the more I look at it in person, it does look a bit hideous. Not to mention the placement of the power button. I was a bit amazed with the first Alien-looking chassis that my first one was. It was something different that's for sure.

Heh, I wish.

No, it's an option.

Very well said, why does a PC Savvy need to build a system everytime he buys one? Sometimes people just never find the time to buy all the parts and test out drivers, install and update everything when it can be bought and started up immediately out the box, like a mac.

and btw, did you mean you bought the parts seperately and build them into a computer and sold them? I've tried doing that as a business before along with my dad when I was in Hong Kong and he didn't travel as much, we take custom configurations or give them recommended ones and we have it build, drivers installed and up and running within 2 days, it was pretty fun but I don't think we could actually make much money :lol:, people rather buy from Dell and such because its more reputable.

Wow...little too much for a prebuilt system for my tastes but whatever floats your boat.

I'm not in the position to buy parts and wait for them, way too many things going on in my life to wait around for UPS or FEDEX to bring them.

You can't wait 2-3 days? :|

(Yes, NewEgg is that fast with the cheapest shipping.)

^ Guess he means, he isn't @home a lot during daytime, and therefore would need to call he delivery companies to make sure they come around when he is home... Stuff like that... My neighbor actually works for UPS, and I think he is driving the district I live in, so I get my stuff anyway ;-)

^ Guess he means, he isn't @home a lot during daytime, and therefore would need to call he delivery companies to make sure they come around when he is home... Stuff like that... My neighbor actually works for UPS, and I think he is driving the district I live in, so I get my stuff anyway ;-)
Aye, most of the time I'm gone throughout the day, and then at about 4-5pm I'm back. Though FEDEX and UPS deliver untill later, they leave base at about 3pm.

Like today, I have a AF graduation to go to at 1pm, and my monitor is being delivered today :(. And that thing requires a signature :(

Don't you have option so that the package gets delivered to your local post office and you can pick it up from there when it suits you?

Don't you have option so that the package gets delivered to your local post office and you can pick it up from there when it suits you?

Not with Fedex, UPS or DHL (leaving the USPS, and shipping with them is an adventure all in itself). All of those services will only deliver to authorized locations. They will hold it at their distribution centers, only if they have attempted one delivery, and that has to be expressly requested. The hours of the distribution centers are terrible too, most are 9am to 5pm, while most people are at work. I've gotten lucky, in that I can have most of my purchases shipped to work, where the receptionist signs for them for me.

Well..luckily it got here about 20min before I left :D

It's so much better to have room on the desk, I could have went to maybe 22" wide, but that might of been pusing it.
Sorry for the huge freakin' flash spot...the lighting sucks in this room :p
http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/3138/p1010234xv0.jpg

Gotta try some games on it for sure :D