The "New Toys" Thread

I guess next in line are our phones since our internet is on par now so here we go!

Took the picture using the lappy's built in webcam, so thats why quality sucks.
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/29/Photo2.jpg
No 2 year contract, go-go-goPhone

^ For a second there I thought you were using the TATA cell phone network. :D

^ For a second there I thought you were using the TATA cell phone network. :D
Haha, no, it's just backwards AT&T. I used to have it changed to iChuck but then I almost had to take it into the store for some stuff, and they'd just turn me around if I'd changed the carrier :>

I'll be getting a raise next month, so my next toy will be:

sigma%20af%2055-200mm%20f4-5.6%20dc.jpg

It's a quite cheap thing, but from the sample pics on pbase, flickr and other sites through google, it's just as sharp as the 17-70 i have now, only it'll give me 200mm range!

^ That's funny... I have some extra cash to spend and I'm torn between an iPhone and a new lens for my Nikon.

I don't really need an iPhone, but then again I don't need a new lens either. I've had my cam for a month.

Well, my old cam had quite a lot of zoom, so only 105mm equiv. compared to the old 380mm is quite hindering. This will give me 300mm which will be quite pleasing. :)

Although this one doesn't cost NEARLY as much as an iPhone, but then again, i wouldn't get one if my life depended on it. :p

Use bitPim, custom ringtones on verizon phones.
Verizon provides a FREE program called "Backup Assistant" that backs up your contact list daily, and is editable online. I also use the EVDO+Bluetooth for mobile internet on my laptop ($5/month), and can watch Top Gear on the phone... so I can't complain about Verizon.

Well, this is half that, and that's the only thing i can afford right now. Got ?200 a month to pay to Alok still till May. :/

Then wait. Trust me, waiting a few months to get good glass rather than mediocre glass is worth it, because you'll probably end up buying the good stuff eventually and it makes more sense to spend once than twice. The Nikkor is twice the price because it's worth it. The Sigma is an OK lens, but it's got pretty bad CA at wide apertures and it's not overly sharp at 135+mm. Build quality isn't great, and neither is AF performance.

Dunno... read on a few sites it's not. I wish there was a store around here where i could borrow a lens for a few hours to test it out, but stores around here haven't even heard of that concept yet...

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Can...-af-55-200mm-f4-56-dc-lab-test-report--review

Pretty much what I've seen from that lens - Decently sharp at wider focal lengths (that you've already got covered with your 17-70), not so good at longer ones, distortion, rotating filter ring, poor CA control at the long end.

So, basically, it's good at focal lengths you've already got covered with a better lens and poor at focal lengths you don't have. I'd pass on it.

It's actually not a bad lens, but performance above 200mm isn't stellar and it, too lacks VR to offset the slow aperture. It's a bit of an older mechanical design, so focusing isn't overly swift and the filter rotates while focusing. It's not bad (under 200mm), but it's not outstanding, either. I nearly bought one once, but the long-end performance and focusing speed turned me off.

I'm not some first-party-glass whore, I'm all about value, but I really do believe the 55-200VR is the best bang-for-your-buck in short telephotos at the moment. Sigma may add OS to a revised version of their budget teles at some point, but for now the Nikkor reigns supreme in my books. I'm not sure what prices are like in Slovenia, but it's down to $230 in the US.

Last edited:
It's actually not a bad lens, but performance above 200mm isn't stellar and it, too lacks VR to offset the slow aperture. It's a bit of an older mechanical design, so focusing isn't overly swift and the filter rotates while focusing. It's not bad (under 200mm), but it's not outstanding, either. I nearly bought one once, but the long-end performance and focusing speed turned me off.

I'm not some first-party-glass whore, I'm all about value, but I really do believe the 55-200VR is the best bang-for-your-buck in short telephotos at the moment. Sigma may add OS to a revised version of their budget teles at some point, but for now the Nikkor reigns supreme in my books. I'm not sure what prices are like in Slovenia, but it's down to $230 in the US.
Yeah, it's about 2x that here...

Eva Longoria is an ugly slut.

Just so y'all know. She's unattractive inside and out.