The new Volvo S80 unveiled

Janus said:
I meant to post this before, but didn't have the time.

This appeared in the Adelaide paper yesterday.

(2 PICTURES)

the next S60 or S40?

normallyI like volvos but this 1s a little too bland and discreet, but not in the same way audis are discreet

Exterior is too conservative for my taste. It looks nice, clean lines, but doesn't "wow" me the same way the S60 R would. Maybe some larger five-spoke rims, aero kit, and different headlights would fix it.

The interior looks fabulous though. Very IKEA-like.

I like it. It's a clean sleek design that stays true to Volvo's heritage. I like the front end much more than the Audi and VW with the funky grille.
5es-4.jpg

The Volvo seems to have cleaner lines to me than the Audi and I like the styling better than the new Mercedes. Yes, it is understated but it has the same simple elegance of Audrey Hepburn in a Little Black Dress. Not flamboyant but still stylish.

I like the blend of the C pillar into the rear quarter, I like the configuration of the tail lights and that they maintained that distinctive shape. I like that the new lights accent that shape. The angular shapes where the boot lid meets the bumper give a hint of aggression, as does the skirting around the rear bumper. I like the dual exhaust and the accents on the new hood. I like the crispness of the new front end and the rake of the headlights.

I like this car.

:thumbsup:

Sorry to bump such an old thread......but I would like to ask has anyone tried the S80? How's the car? And reliability issues? I'm planning to get one in a few months (won't be available until Feb 2007), so I want to know more about the car. Thanks!!

Either way - Mondeo...Volvo...the two-most boring badges next to Astra and Diesel.

Oh boy I'm fucked.
Last Car 2000 Vauxhall Astra 2.0 DL 16v Estate Diesel
Present Car 2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 LX TDCi Diesel

For the Volvo I like, I think it is far prettier than a Mondeo.

As I mentioned earlier, the car is supposed to be simple and elegant - very Swedish in concept. It was never supposed to be totally mad and covered with vents and gills and such. It accomplishes this very well.

Oh boy I'm fucked.
Last Car 2000 Vauxhall Astra 2.0 DL 16v Estate Diesel
Present Car 2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 LX TDCi Diesel

For the Volvo I like, I think it is far prettier than a Mondeo.
Haha that is funny :D

I'm thinking about getting a S80, but I had a Volvo 740GLE in the past, and it was pure crap. So I need more advice; has the reliability been improved? Or am I better off getting a Mercedes E Class/Lexus GS instead?

please not forget the Audi A6! It's graceful and posh. understatement. Sorry, I don't know much about Volvos except that they have a rather nice floating centre console.

^ but your car is a Volvo bus :p

I like our Volvo S60, but i dont think i would get the S80 in that category.

please not forget the Audi A6! It's graceful and posh. understatement.

For some reason, the A6 is not my type of car; the shape of it doesn't really attract me. I know it's a high-quality machine, but other than the S6 (completely out of my price range), I can't imagine myself driving an A6 around.

^ but your car is a Volvo bus :p

I like our Volvo S60, but i dont think i would get the S80 in that category.

How's the S60? Does it have any electrical problems? How about the handling? I think I'm a bit paranoid here, but Volvo's seem to have lots of electrical problems, and they are more nasty than the ones German cars are experiencing (i.e., Mercs, BMW's, Audi's)

How's the S60? Does it have any electrical problems? How about the handling? I think I'm a bit paranoid here, but Volvo's seem to have lots of electrical problems, and they are more nasty than the ones German cars are experiencing (i.e., Mercs, BMW's, Audi's)
Fear me for I am Superbump Man!
No, I'd say the wiring in the S60 holds up pretty decently. Only thing that annoys me is that it eats position lights.

Also, whoever complained about the seats on the other page must be an alien, the seats in the S80 are the best there is.

I agree, the S80 is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. The '99 S80 my parents have tends to go through lights quickly because they are on all the time, although that might also have something to do with the brand bulb they are using as replacements. Like anything there are different levels of quality from different companies.