The new Volvo S80 unveiled

How's the S60? Does it have any electrical problems? How about the handling? I think I'm a bit paranoid here, but Volvo's seem to have lots of electrical problems, and they are more nasty than the ones German cars are experiencing (i.e., Mercs, BMW's, Audi's)

I drive a S60, 2003, 2.4, 170hp. Haven't had any problems so far. The car feels bigger and heavier than it is. Makes you feel safe (it's a Volvo, doh) but definitely doesn't have that Honda/BMW feeling behind the feel. It's more of a highway cruiser than a sports car. All in all, you are constantly reminded that it is de-facto the same car as V70 and S80 - at least one size number bigger (except the rear seats, which are COMPLETELY useless), for better and for worse. BMW 3 series feels like a toy compared to it.

Don't know what kind of roads you have, but be careful with low-profile tyres ... I have 17" and they destroy much of the ride comfort (but the car does feel like driving on rails).

Last edited:
It's too curvy.

:lol: Just because you drive an older style Volvo! Go back to the P1200 and P1800, Volvo used to have some nice Swedish curves and they have brought that back.

If you don't like it there's nothing I can say to make you like it, but the current models are sticking to Volvo's heritage and design.

Nah, I was kidding. I do really like it. It's a very stylish car. I'm not a fan of the new V70s Range-Rover style tailgate though, it looks a bit too busy back there. But the S80 is very nice.

The Saint style P1800 was a lovely car, although the Jensen influence was more obvious than the Volvo, it was a very pretty car. Also, terrific value today for such a sought after car. The Amazon was great too. Of course one like the pv544 were very curvy indeed!

Last edited:
I would not buy the S80, but at the same time, i wouldnt be upset if someone gave me one to own.

The S80 is too expensive. Its around $50K+ USD with options which puts it in the same range as a 5-series and Audi A6. As far as reviews go, they say it looks nice inside and out but the driving experience is (predictably) lacking.

Isn't this thread suppose to be dead.

The S80 is too expensive. Its around $50K+ USD with options which puts it in the same range as a 5-series and Audi A6. As far as reviews go, they say it looks nice inside and out but the driving experience is (predictably) lacking.

That's why I'm still deciding which car I should go for.......in Canada the S80 is slightly cheaper than its competitors (BMW 5 Series, Merc E Class, Lexus GS), but if the Volvo is nowhere near the competition then I might as well spend a few more bucks on something better.