The Newest Server Thread

You can see some specs in there if you look closely. :mrgreen:

That wouldnt be a new Dell R905v would it? It's definately a 4-CPU system, 16GB of RAM. and thats a hell of a lot of PCIe slots. It looks different than the 6850's we use at work though. I know the R900 isnt out yet - but it also does look like a 5U box.

I notice the RAM isn't hot-pluggable though, so I am not sure this is a box I have seen. Maybe a no longer produced Itanium?

error loading xml document. :S
Refresh the page (or reopen the URL) and give it time (like 30 seconds). The script is rather slow as it calculates the load averages and such.

That wouldnt be a new Dell R905v would it? It's definately a 4-CPU system, 16GB of RAM. and thats a hell of a lot of PCIe slots. It looks different than the 6850's we use at work though. I know the R900 isnt out yet - but it also does look like a 5U box.

I notice the RAM isn't hot-pluggable though, so I am not sure this is a box I have seen. Maybe a no longer produced Itanium?

Its the 6950.

http://68.49.216.76/phpsysinfo/

Ah. Thats why I couldnt make out the model - we are an all Intel shop. Thats cool that you are using VMs to host the sites. I work with ESX as my primary job. Is that working well for you?

Ah. Thats why I couldnt make out the model - we are an all Intel shop. Thats cool that you are using VMs to host the sites. I work with ESX as my primary job. Is that working well for you?

No. Performance in it is HORRIBLE. I was running ESX server on the new box, and even with Virtualization enabled, we could only get 1/3rd of the total server power out of the box. We are going back to native hosting, with the new server, so we can harness all 8 cores. :D

No. Performance in it is HORRIBLE. I was running ESX server on the new box, and even with Virtualization enabled, we could only get 1/3rd of the total server power out of the box. We are going back to native hosting, with the new server, so we can harness all 8 cores. :D

Well, the thing about virtualization is that its only really good for machines with low to moderate usage. As much traffic as this site gets, especially when TG comes back on, I can imagine that puts it squarely into the "non-candidate" category.

Does the 6950 require 208v power like the 6850 does? Just curious.

Does the 6950 require 208v power like the 6850 does? Just curious.
Yeah, BUT you can run 120v to it and it wont complain.. "unsupported".

And ice- I think we can spare a few mhz for that. :p

We just got our new Dell r900v in the other day for testing. Four Quad Core Intel procs, 32GB RAM - should be smokin! It still amazes me how fast technology is progressing. My desktop was top of the line last year. :(

yeah, we got a fantastic deal on the server... over $13,000 off the list price.. Direct from Dell with 3yr warranty on top of it.

Only issue at the moment is mysql-- it is eating up a full core's resources at idle.