The Newest Server Thread

Can someone please explain to me what a server is? Is the new one just a really fast computer (can you do other stuff on it, or is it just for this website?) And how much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

Can someone please explain to me what a server is? Is the new one just a really fast computer (can you do other stuff on it, or is it just for this website?)

Yes, it's just a computer in essence, but it's designed for serving (hence server) webpages and files. Lots of CPU speed, lots of RAM, and very, very fast hard drives. There's also no (or next to no) video card as one isn't needed.

Any normal PC could be used as a server though. I use this PC as a local webserver for writing PHP and such on (for example, I wrote and tested the code behind FG.com on my PC).

And how much did it cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=541923#post541923

Is this new server hosting the entire site or just the forums? Why kind of connection are you guys using?

Is this new server hosting the entire site or just the forums? Why kind of connection are you guys using?
Everything plus a couple other small sites of mine. It's not like it can't handle it. :p

Case in point, this current page:

Page generated in 0.04878 seconds with 33 queries [Server Loads: 0.07 0.09 : 0.09]

That's... insane.

As for connection, it's on unmetered 100mbit which is waaaay more than enough. We're just serving text here after all, plus a few images.

As for connection, it's on unmetered 100mbit which is waaaay more than enough. We're just serving text here after all, plus a few images.

What hosting company/data center out of curiosity?

haha, no joke: I have a server with them too for my web design/hosting business :)

Been with them for almost 2 years. They're pretty good for the most part, but they do have their outages.

All I can say is wow to the page loads and to the server specs!!!!!!! Thats not any server thats the finalgear.com server!!

Hrm..... looks for a way to cause lag :evil grin: :p
Gah, its gonna be fine on Sunday, probably how the older one's usual speed was.

The server loads are up a bit, but thats because Gerpok is processing a few million backlogged songs.

Hooray for me!

We were down for a few minutes.. Power was lost to the server, because both power supplies were not connected;

Quote our email from the staff:
"We only had one connected. Now both are.
We were over there installing a new server and the power cable was melting, What kind of power does this thing draw?"

Last edited:
The server loads are up a bit, but thats because Gerpok is processing a few million backlogged songs.

Hooray for me!
Will you please stop bogging down the server? I mean, look how horrible this is:

Page generated in 0.21707 seconds with 41 queries [Server Loads: 0.69 0.64 : 0.41]

:mad:

Thank you to all the FG team for doing this, it is very much appreciated. :)

Oh Viper, you are such a kidder. :p

We were down for a few minutes.. Power was lost to the server, because both power supplies were not connected;

Quote our email from the staff:
"We only had one connected. Now both are.
We were over there installing a new server and the power cable was melting, What kind of power does this thing draw?"

Whew, glad that's taken care of 8)

Be more specific. The site is being really quick for me. :?