The next big thing from Lexus isn't a car.

unbreakable

Car(s)
2007 Honda Civic
It's a driving simulator. Actually, they don't want to call it a simulator. They call it a re-creation of reality.:cool: How cool is that?

lexus-sim.jpg

Something new from Lexus, and it?s not a car ? the world?s most advanced driving simulator

It sounds like just the thing for video game buffs, but this one is very much geared towards designing technology to help make driving safer.
It?s the world?s largest and most advanced driving simulator, run by Lexus at its research campus in Higashifuji, Japan. A series of complex, interlocking full motion tracks span the interior of a room the size of a football field. On top of the tracks sits a round domed structure, approximately 4.6m high and 17m in diameter, supported on a full three-axis hexapod system.
Inside the dome, a real Lexus vehicle is mounted to a turntable, allowing drivers to test and experience actual vehicle controls. A high-definition imaging system provides a full 360-degree environment of roads around the vehicle, and drivers can see and hear traffic and the city around them, including receding scenery that?s viewable in the side- and rear-view mirrors.

The pod is able to tip forward, backward and from side-to-side, and coupled with the track system, which moves the pod in all directions, the simulator can create realistic sensations of acceleration, cornering and handling, being able to mimic speeds of up to 300 kph and a turn angle of 330 degrees to boot.
In essence, the simulator allows engineers to conduct tests to learn about driver behavior and reaction times. Besides traditional traffic incidents, tests are done to determine driver response while distracted by technology such as text messaging, navigation systems and car warnings/displays, as well as driving in poor visibility conditions and while drowsy.
Besides making for newer safer designs, these simulations of different driving scenarios allows engineers to analyse driver reactions before an accident and help determine what technologies can be used to assist in helping to prevent future accidents. So, while it?s not a video game, it?s surely no less cool.

Source:
http://paultan.org/2010/10/13/the-next-big-thing-from-lexus-and-its-not-a-car/

SERIOUS WANT. RIGHT THERE.

Last edited:
So now people can experience simulated unintended acceleration?

Seriously, looks cool but it's just a flight simulator on awesome tracks

'Lexus' the name sounds like they make posh leather sofas - brrrrrr - not nice.

Hang on, I've got a reply for that

Here's something I made some time ago

http://img200.imageshack.**/img200/3804/motivatorb76638ade1a41f.jpg

Last edited:
LS-400 was actually a great car, seriously over engineered (When Toyota knew how to build cars properly) - bloody scrappage - loads got scrapped and they were still going strong from the 1980's.

They've been showing that simulator and talking about it on Lexus commercials on Satellite TV. I think it's kind of interesting.

If it does make driving safer that would be pretty cool. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm just wondering here.

If you were doing a simulated skid pad test, wouldn't it run out of track to simulate g-force? I imagine it has to maintain an exact acceleration for a steady state corner, which would mean that whole assembly would be moving pretty quickly after a few seconds of cornering. And when you run out of track I suppose it just stops and the g-force simulation would change abruptly. I can't see this thing being very practical. I bet this rig can't even simulate 1g lateral acceleration....after 10 seconds at that cornering load it would be doing 223mph :lol:

Should be able to simulate a skidpad test up to 1g if the whole thing leaned over 90 degrees onto its side.

I would LOVE a simulator, except I'd get motion sickness...

Should be able to simulate a skidpad test up to 1g if the whole thing leaned over 90 degrees onto its side.

90 degrees? Shouldn't it be 45? Because it would be one G lateral, one vertical. Unless my physics is wrong, I haven't had it in two years. But gravity still exists in a slide.

90 degrees? Shouldn't it be 45? Because it would be one G lateral, one vertical. Unless my physics is wrong, I haven't had it in two years. But gravity still exists in a slide.

I think you're right.

Yeah 45 would be better for keeping you in the seat, at that point though you'd experience 1g*cos(45), about .7g's lateral and vertical.

Fun Fact: Before it was a publicity stunt, this was used by the now defunct Toyota F1 team. "Hey guys, what are we gonna do with this awesome simulator we built for F1?" "I dunno, let's stick a reskinned camry on it and say how much research and development we're doing, in a completely un ironic sense."