The nicest thing you have done for another motorist

nouseferaname90

I got the idea from Jalopnik. What is the nicest thing you have done for another motorist?

For example, I'll start.

My dad once helped someone who was visiting American and traveling to SFO pay half their bay bridge toll because they ran out of money. They were in front of us and blocking traffic.

I helped someone do a hill start with a manual car and helped in tire changing.

I gave CPR to a guy who had a heart attack in his car. He was parked while his wife was in the store trying to return $200 lunchmeat she had frozen. She was in the store for 30-40 minutes trying to tell us that she didn't freeze it, that she's been shopping at the store for 25 years (it was less than 5 years old) and that she knew the owners (who were standing there at the time, and had no idea who she was). After leaving the store screaming, she came back in screaming...but she was crying this time. No idea how long ago it happened, but he felt cold. The heart attack stopped his heart, and it didn't restart.

Another time, I pulled over to help a fellow jeep wrangler owner pull the top up as it had started to drizzle, and heavy rain was coming fast. Luckily, I had it mastered from buying it in the Winter, and wanting to put the top down the first chance I could (48*f minimum is what the manual recommends) so I could do it with cold, stiff vinyl. Anywho, I pulled over to help BEFORE knowing that it was three incredibly hot my-age girls who were in the jeep with the ont guy who was having the top troubles. Sadly, I was fat, awkward and had a bad mustache, so all I got was a smooch from the ugliest of the 3 hot girls.

A mate of mine will let anyone and everyone pull out at any time possible... any excuse to flash the pop up headlights!

A mate of mine will let anyone and everyone pull out at any time possible... any excuse to flash the pop up headlights!

I always have to get quite a few jumps in the winter when I switch from a car with pop-ups to one without :p

Gave some driver a head start at a TLGP

edit : TLGP means traffic light grand prix

Last edited:
i can never pass a person with thier hood up, i always try to help somehow unless its on the highway, i never like to pull over there.

I probably wouldn't be able to help too much if someone had a legitimate breakdown. But to redeem my masculinity and make up for my lack of technical knowledge, I've pushed a few cars before. Twice during the Woodward Dream Cruise, which is probably both the best and worst place to break down. It's bad because you'll be holding up traffic that is already moving very slowly and it's hard to find a place to stop on the side of the road. But it's good because you have tons of gearheads in the same place that could probably diagnose and maybe even fix your problem right there. I've also pushed some cars in the winter, which is a helluva lot harder.

I helped a Korean guy change his flat tire in downtown Seoul... he had no idea what he was doing.

I gave CPR to a guy who had a heart attack in his car. He was parked while his wife was in the store trying to return $200 lunchmeat she had frozen. She was in the store for 30-40 minutes trying to tell us that she didn't freeze it, that she's been shopping at the store for 25 years (it was less than 5 years old) and that she knew the owners (who were standing there at the time, and had no idea who she was). After leaving the store screaming, she came back in screaming...but she was crying this time. No idea how long ago it happened, but he felt cold. The heart attack stopped his heart, and it didn't restart.

:(

I just try to let people in as much as I can. Round here we have a lot of trouble merging, especially for exits.

Theres the urban legend of the guy who pulled over to help a broken down limo, the guy in the back was Donald Trump. The next day the guy got home and found out that 'The Donald' had bought his house for him.

Buffed out some crap on my mom's audi when a random schmuck hit her parked car while she was seeing a patient. Fortunately it wasn't a dent, but the guy's purple car left a nice purple streak on the right rear quarter panel of the ice white car. I washed and waxed the whole car while I was at it, too.

I've put my own spare in a friend's car, twice. Fun fact about Honda: they apparently make exactly ONE spare for all models and it's been the same one for 20 years. The spare from my 96 civic fit both an early 90s accord and a mid 80s CRX. It wasn't just an issue of standard spacing, when you compared the spares they were absolutely identical (except mine held air).

Last edited:
As far as helping people I didn't know goes, giving someone a jumpstart was about the most helpful. Otherwise just letting people merge every now and again.

For friends I've helped change a tire and let someone spend the night whose car wouldn't start.

I try to teach people about basic things they can do to keep their car running in good condition.

I don't tailgate others, I'm more than happy to pull over to let faster cars by and don't hoon around (on the roads).

Well two things come to mind.

I last year while pulling up to an intersection (uphill) the car in front of me ran out of gas. They got out to ask if I could give them a push with my car, since I had no desire to damage my baby I hopped out and pushed them through the intersection so they could coast down to the nearest gas station. What pisses me off is that the bitch didn't roll down the window to yell "thanks" or wave or anything. This was in the middle of heavy snow fall by the way.

Not too long after that I was heading to my sister's office when I noticed a green minivan dead in the turn lane just outside. Once I was parked I decided to walk over and see if they needed help. It was an older woman and her elderly mom, she was taking her to the doctor when the van just stopped dead. So I pushed them into the parking lot, gave them my mechanic's card, and then invited them into the office where they could stay warm (it was still winter) till their help arrived.

A woman gets a jump start so she can drive home from work. She gets pulled over. Cop tells her to shut the car off, even after she explains the situation. Car doesn't start. Cop says he'll stay around but just drives away. I pass and see her car beside the road with no lights, turn around, give her a jump start in the pouring rain so she can head home.

I've done quite a bit to help fellow motorists, but that's the only one even close to being noteworthy.

I stopped and asked a guy if he needed help.

He didn't.

Nothing... far too selfish to be nice to other people I am. :p

Well... I guess, when this guy crashed into my car two years ago he was pretty upset and I didn't do the typical "oh my God you stupid retard, where the hell did you learn to drive?" thing that most people do at accident scenes (regardless of who is at fault). Hmm, yeah, that should be enough to get me into heaven, right?

I wouldn't pull over to help someone, but I'm a pretty courteous driver overall. Unless someone tries to force themselves in front or something like that - I have no patience for that and will stop you from taking advantage of my relaxed driving! :mad:

Last edited: