The "Not At Home" thread

Nearly one score ago, I was abducted by a deceitful wench who once declared her love to me, but as of present, is void of it. I was taken from the land of rolling green pastures, silken cheese and plump cows whose milk is second only to ambrosia.
The scorned land I now reside in is of a flat plane and featureless, teeming with far too many imagineless, soulless humans, corrupt and deceitful leaders, and Raptorjesus.
The metropolis I reside in has people who speak a strange southern language, who brows and rents are lowered and operate vehicles that have an excess of chromed metal and lack of taste.

In other words, seven years ago I moved from Wisconsin to Illinois and I hate it.

Is there a repellant for the RaptorJesus? Maybe a cross would do the trick. :p

Killpanda, just out of interest, how have you been finding China?

So far I really rather like it, I haven't been able to visit much yet because I started working right away (with a pretty tight deadline), but I really rather like the whole atmosphere of the place. All the people I have been meeting have been incredibly friendly to me and tried to help even when the language became an issue. It really helped that I already knew a few people though :)

And it is not even strange really; some people are just...wired to explore the Earth, whereas you and I are wired to keep the home fires burning for the explorers to come home to. Because of them, civilization and society has grown. I gotta tip my hat to them, really.

Like phoenixsac said, I'd love to travel all over the world, but there will always be home.

Panda: What is your job exactly? Is that mainly how you get to travel around?

I've been wanting to visit other countries for the longest time, unfortunately that costs a lot and I have very poor saving habits :( Anyone got any tips to make my dream of traveling through countries come true? :D

Born in Pakistan, raised in Middle-east, then some years in England and Germany, then back to Middle-east, now back to Pakistan ever since completing my ACA degree.

I so want to move out of this country, but all of my family is here and I love them to death.

For me, life is nothing if you are not with the ones you love...

So far I really rather like it, I haven't been able to visit much yet because I started working right away (with a pretty tight deadline), but I really rather like the whole atmosphere of the place. All the people I have been meeting have been incredibly friendly to me and tried to help even when the language became an issue. It really helped that I already knew a few people though :)

Hooray! Someone who isn't a travel hipster likes my country! :D

Panda: What is your job exactly? Is that mainly how you get to travel around?

I just landed a job as a project manager for mobile development in a Chinese social networking website (www.p1.cn), that's a brand new job I got and they basically paid for the plane ticket and a few weeks of housing while I was looking for a place to stay. Basically I got the job through a friend of mine who I met about three years ago when I went to teach in Qingdao, China for my school. I feel pretty lucky to have great friends like that and to have this kind of opportunities :)

I've been wanting to visit other countries for the longest time, unfortunately that costs a lot and I have very poor saving habits :( Anyone got any tips to make my dream of traveling through countries come true? :D

I don't have really any good tips... I basically left France to San Francisco to teach in my school for a couple of weeks (plane tickets and hotel paid) and haven't come back to France since! Not sure when I'll go back there, not anytime soon I think.

I don't see France as my home anymore, I keep contact with the people I met and like from all over the world, as long as my close friends and family back in France through internet.

've been wanting to visit other countries for the longest time, unfortunately that costs a lot and I have very poor saving habits :( Anyone got any tips to make my dream of traveling through countries come true? :D

Join the military.

Hey, it worked for me!

I'm an Englishman living in Scotland, quite possibly the most foreign you can without having to leave a country! :lol:

Never been abroad so I dunno' about "being away from home", I've never lived in an area for more than 4 years so I don't really have anywhere I consider a "home", just familiar locations. I've always wanted to go to the US for a long term holiday but it'll probably never happen, I have lots of grand plans that never see the light of day. :D

One day I'd like to move back to Yorkshire but there isn't any opportunity for me there, it would be a waste of resources leaving this area really.

I just landed a job as a project manager for mobile development in a Chinese social networking website (www.p1.cn), that's a brand new job I got and they basically paid for the plane ticket and a few weeks of housing while I was looking for a place to stay. Basically I got the job through a friend of mine who I met about three years ago when I went to teach in Qingdao, China for my school. I feel pretty lucky to have great friends like that and to have this kind of opportunities :)

I don't have really any good tips... I basically left France to San Francisco to teach in my school for a couple of weeks (plane tickets and hotel paid) and haven't come back to France since! Not sure when I'll go back there, not anytime soon I think.

I don't see France as my home anymore, I keep contact with the people I met and like from all over the world, as long as my close friends and family back in France through internet.[/QUOTE]

Oooo gotcha. That's awesome, belated congrats! :)

Join the military.

Hey, it worked for me!

I have thought of it actually. Looked in to the AF but then I got distracted, never looked again. :|

Yes, find something like this.

What is LH? I wonder if there is anything local to me like that..

I have thought about seeing if I could become an air stewardess/flight attendant.

Hopefully in the next five years. I admire people like you who can globetrot and adjust to it. Myself, I am not an explorer. Wisconsin is my Hobbitshire, dig?

I've lived in California for 10 years now...well..in 3 days it'll be 10 years. I still miss Wisconsin dearly. :(

What is LH? I wonder if there is anything local to me like that..

I have thought about seeing if I could become an air stewardess/flight attendant.

Pretty sure there is an LH near you - LH = Lufthansa.

Being a flight attendant is great if you want to see air terminals all over the world. Unfortunately, aircraft today spend very little time on the ground. But you could use your employee benefits to get reduced rate tickets and fly somewhere on vacation.

Or - besides the air courier job (How's your security clearance?) - you could look into teaching English overseas. That is, if you talk English real good.

I know a couple of people who got into the airline biz specifically for the discounted flights. Things have changed since 9/11 (You can no longer just "hop" on a plane and look around for an empty seat on your day off like he used to do (Just...fly to vegas for free on a whim just for the day if there was an empty seat!) But, it's something I keep thinking about doing anyways. Virgin has a significant presence at this airport, and I've heard they are great to work for...Alaskan, too.

I learned from Naruto that "wherever someone is thinking of you, that place is home."

LH = Lufthansa
precisely

How's your security clearance?
You do need one of those, so if you've been a bad girl you'll be unlucky.

That is, if you talk English real good.
:lol:

I know a couple of people who got into the airline biz specifically for the discounted flights.
A couple of my friends have gone into airline jobs/careers and very happily collect this perk. It's a bit annoying to see "this month, I'll be in Singapore" posted on Facebook after you've got home from another 10hr day in the office, but more power to them. :D

Last edited:
Get into science. There are universities and thus conferences all around the globe and if you have a talk somewhere, usually the inviting conference OR your employer OR a third party will pay for the trip - and as far as I know they usually don't have a problem with people staying on a day or two (on their own expense, of course!) to see the sights.

I am thinking of joining APA right now for the sole reason of being able to speak on their conferences and thus get a flight to the US paid by someone who is not me.