The Off Road / 4X4 Thread

TroyWK

Car(s)
Canyonero
Couldn't find a dedicated thread for this (I promise i did search)

So here we go, the 4X4 thread.

Im going again in about 2 weeks and will get to see how badly i can get stuck again this time, since there I am going has just had about 150mm of rain so it should be nice and muddy when i get down there.

Anyway here are a few random pictures and videos to get the thread started.

664716_4608425903152_737618839_o.jpg

Ooh a 4x4 thread. *suscribed*

May as well add these videos I've recorded over the years.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread. (I made one WAY back - maybe 2-3 years ago) but I'll forgive you. :p

Anyways, here's a shot of my Jeep all flexed out and a couple others and a video of me doing the Golden Crack.

923493_10151669061504252_1904477947_n.jpg

934798_4667871810189_1631505311_n.jpg

946463_10151668364684252_1426917263_n.jpg

Yes. Those are fixies on my roof... :lol:

I love 4x4ing, but I'm starting to think I need a second vehicle, because my Jeep is just so poor on gas.

Last edited:
I love 4x4ing, but I'm starting to think I need a second vehicle, because my Jeep is just so poor on gas.

You have my deepest sympathies. :p

Trails are crazy muddy right now due to spring thaw and heavy rains.

IMG_6032_zps6ea8edad.jpg

My buddy's ZJ getting mired, he also managed to suck in water and lunched his motor on the same trip.

Last edited:
I suppose every day is a bit of a 4x4ing adventure for you right now, what with all the flooding going on there.

I thought that once too. I even went onto craigslist to search up a cheap 4 cylinder econobox just for that purpose.

I bought the Fairlane instead, and now, 3 years later I have a turbo saab that I'm planning on selling very soon, so that I can continue driving my "fuel efficient Blazer alternative" some more :lol:

Last edited:
I've been looking at old Celicas and RWD Corollas (E70s) and I really like the idea of getting one, but then I think about how much more I want a first gen RX7 or a Mazda REPU and I realize how poor on fuel those cars are. I just can't win. :p

What was your last car?

That issue with the Pathfinder is partially due to shitty technique and tire placement. Tires go on top of the tall things, never take them down the middle of the vehicle.

Also: skid plates

I agree. Proper technique could have avoided that.

Most vehicles have the sump at the lowest point. It is simply the way gravity works and it is a pain to fight it. Kind of like putting a fan in the window blowing against the wind.

I agree. Proper technique could have avoided that.

Most vehicles have the sump at the lowest point. It is simply the way gravity works and it is a pain to fight it. Kind of like putting a fan in the window blowing against the wind.

Yeah it was his first time out, also the fact that he heard the scraping and decided to keep going. If I wasnt there yelling at him to stop he probably would have kept gong until the engine died.

Last edited:
4x4 trips and drawn-on cocks go together so well. When you're standing around dirty trucks that aren't moving for some reason it just has to be done. I know most of the trucks on my last trip had them by the end of the day. :lol:

It even looks a bit disappointed in itself.