The official 2008 season MotoGP thread!

Yeah, that really sucked for Nicky. At least the championship is a bit more exciting now.

Edit: I am even more impressed with Rossi now, just saw his bike in the box after the race and the gear change lever actually snapped of in the crash! Incredible that he managed to ride like that! :w00t:

Last edited:
Rossi did great with that gear lever! And a great win for Stoner, halfway through the season and it's tightening up in the championship! :D
And what a shame for Hayden! But the Hondas has been heavy on fuel this season and it has crippled them before.

And there's a rumor in the pits that the Ducati sponsors are moaning over Melandri..

Valentino is enjoying the summer holidays on his yacht... :cool:

big_rossi_barca_3.jpg

rossi_barca_4.jpg

Brilliant race!! I guess old Rossi is back. But Michelin really dropped the ball on this race, it's a shame we have to wait 4 weeks for BRNO!!

Last edited:
What a fantastic race - amazing dice between Rossi & Stoner, pity it didn't go all the way.

Laguna Seca was one of the best races so far in the championship. The battle between Rossi and Stoner was EPIC. I was on my feet and yelling for 8 laps or so... (i am a Rossi fan but i respect and admire Cassey)

What a great race, I missed the live coverage and just finished watching the torrent. The battle between Rossi and Stoner was amazing, Rossi did some rally racing with his bike. :p

Also note Lorenzo's crash, that guy has an angel on his shoulder. Was so worried when he hit his head on the track.

I might go to next years race, the track is only 2 hour drive from here.

My weekend at Laguna Seca for MotoGP

Stoner and Rossi going at it (race day)
http://img150.imageshack.**/img150/7362/pic0316ug4.jpg

Famous Corkscrew (its quite commanding in person!!) (qualifying)
http://img181.imageshack.**/img181/6273/pic0239so1.jpg

Bottom of the Corkscrew to Rainey Curve (Practise day)
http://img150.imageshack.**/img150/3132/pic0227ew5.jpg

There will be a race in Hungary next year... Don't worry, it won't be at the Hungaroring, they're building a new track! ;)

Wow, we Hungarians are so lucky, not only do we have an F1 race but now MotoGP as well...

Yes...indeed...lucky as hell. But you really should replace Hungaroring. It's one of the worst, most boring tracks. Anyway...did you hear that friday and saturday on the FP Michelin sucked so badly that decided to put intermediates on their bikes? While BONE DRY?! first time ever that something like this happens!

^They brought the wrong tires so they decided that they wanted to save the few good tires they had.. Huge fuck up...

It look like Melandri will stay with Ducati for the rest of the season.

Marco Melandri has been well aware of the rumours surrounding his future in the Ducati Marlboro team, and has recently addressed them with typical frankness. The former MotoGP World Championship runner-up admitted at Laguna Seca that the choice was in his employers hands as the 2008 season headed into the summer break period, and commented further on the matter in his online diary last week.

Melandri was honest about the precarious nature of his chances of seeing out the season as a Ducati rider, even mentioning the man relentlessly speculated to be his replacement by name as he wrote that `this week will be decisive for understanding if I will be able to end the year in the Ducati seat ?or if (Sete) Gibernau will be there in my place.? However, his spot appears to be safe at least for the Cardion AB Ceske Republiky later this month, with Ducati MotoGP Project Manager Livio Suppo stating that he was anxious to see both of his regular riders on track at Brno and drawing the positives from Melandri?s practice showings at Laguna Seca.

`(At the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix) he showed that he was making a constant effort, just as he did at Sachsenring. He was consistently up with the frontrunners during the practices and warm-up and we're convinced that he has understood how to get the best out of the Desmosedici.?

With a point to prove and ever-present determination, Melandri?s intentions are clear for the remainder of 2008.

`I would like to conclude the season here.? he proclaimed emphatically. `I think that at the last two races I have taken a step forward, and it is possible that we could take another.

`In any case I would like to thank all of the guys in my team, because the first part of the season was as difficult for them as for me. We always worked well together and never lost control or allowed the relationship to deteriorate. For them to take some satisfaction from our work, I would really like to step up onto the podium at least once.?

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Melandri+praises+Ducati+and+looks+to+see+out+the+season

There will be a race in Hungary next year... Don't worry, it won't be at the Hungaroring, they're building a new track! ;)

Wow, we Hungarians are so lucky, not only do we have an F1 race but now MotoGP as well...

details on this new track please.

MotoGP Brno Qualifying Results:
1. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro 2'11.657
2. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'12.846
3. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing 2'12.959

4. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki 2'13.002
5. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'13.352
6. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing 2'14.064

7. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini 2'14.718
8. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2'14.805
9. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team 2'14.861

10. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 2'15.535
11. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro 2'15.880
12. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda 2'16.032

13. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Team 2'16.510
14. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot MotoGP 2'17.632
15. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha 2'20.074

16. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha 2'23.303
17. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 2'23.701

How did Hopper end up in third place?

edit. It was terrible weather...

Lots of action in the first few laps, behind the leaders that is...

Race results:

1. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (B) 43min 28.841 secs
2. Toni Elias SPA Alice Team (B) 43min 43.845 secs
3. Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 43min 50.530 secs
4. Shinya Nakano JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 43min 54.700 secs
5. Anthony West AUS Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 43min 58.306 secs
6. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 43min 59.449 secs
7. Marco Melandri ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 44min 5.294 secs
8. Alex de Angelis RSM San Carlo Honda Gresini (B) 44min 5.591 secs
9. Andrea Dovizioso ITA JiR Team Scot MotoGP (M) 44min 7.663 secs
10. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 44min 8.414 secs
11. John Hopkins USA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 44min 8.451 secs
12. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alice Team (B) 44min 9.733 secs
13. James Toseland GBR Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 44min 40.331 secs
14. Colin Edwards USA Tech 3 Yamaha (M) 44min 49.974 secs
15. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 45min 5.879 secs
16. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP (M) 45min 7.248 secs

DNF:
Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B)