The official 2011 season MotoGP thread!

RIP :(

wow, didn't expect to wake up to this :|

Didn't expect this when i woke up. I was never a big fan of Marco. But he was a fantastic rider and had a great personality. His loss will be felt and its so sad to see this news only a week after the loss of Dan Wheldon.

RIP Marco. Thoughts to his family and friends. Really hope no one pins anything on Colin Edwards either. Thoughts to him as well. I can't imagine what he's going through right now.

One of the worst weeks in motorsport for years. :( Such a shame to see two talents in two series losing their lives to two freak accidents within the space of 7 days.

Didn't expect this when i woke up. I was never a big fan of Marco. But he was a fantastic rider and had a great personality. His loss will be felt and its so sad to see this news only a week after the loss of Dan Wheldon.

RIP Marco. Thoughts to his family and friends. Really hope no one pins anything on Colin Edwards either. Thoughts to him as well. I can't imagine what he's going through right now.

Yeah, can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. It would've happened so quick though, no time to react. He was bloody lucky to escape relatively unharmed himself.

RIP Marco. Saw him on the podium at Phillip Island last week :(

Horrible week in motor racing. Despite not being a big motorcycling fan I remember Simoncelli from the days he was racing in the little 125s.

Another tragic reminder that motor racing is dangerous. :cry:

Shit. Was about to watch the race later today, just came home and see the news about a fatal accident in the MotoGP. Since they didn't mention the name in the headline I assumed it was a back of the pack rider from the 125s or 250s, pretty shocked to find out it was Simoncelli. Always been a very fast and entertaining rider and definitely would've been a future championship contender IMO, given some time to develop some steadiness to his results.

God, I'm shattered to hear about Simoncelli. I went to the MotoGP for the first time at Phillip Island last week and was pleased to see him on the podium. RIP Marco.

RIP Simoncelli.

Didn't manage to rack up a single MotoGP win before he passed away : ( What a shame.

:(

Wow extremely sad news. I went on RU and their background had changed... RIP Marco, I was really looking forward to seeing him be more consistently competitive in the top ranks. :(

RIP Marco.

This has been really horrible week for motorsport...

What terrible news, my thoughts are with his family, friends and colleauges. :sad:

Ciao Super Sic, RIP :(

The footage is sickening, there was nothing Colin or Valentino could do to avoid hitting Marco, it just happened so fast and so close to the edge of the track. My thoughts are with everyone in the MotoGP world, it's absolutely terrible.

To lose Dan Wheldon at Las Vegas, Rick Huseman (from the Short Course world) in a plane crash, and now Marco Simoncelli a week later in Sepang, three incredibly talented individuals have been taken in the span of a week.

R.I.P. Marco :sad:

Last edited: