The ovloV (Volvo) combat thread

Well, in this article they really like the BMW 540i and I believe declare it a winner. Using your logic, because it's MotorTrend, it must be a bad car...no?

Just because they screw up from time to time, does not automatically mean that the T5-R was a bad car and that their observations are inaccurate.

Motor Trend doesn't screw up from time to time. They screw up regularly, consistently, and repeatedly. They're amusing to read, but they're not trustworthy. You seem to be confusing 'error' with 'it must mean the inverse,' especially since it's not a binary solution set. If MT says that a car is awesomely good, in error, that doesn't mean it is automatically bad. It could just be 'meh', it could be average, it could be sub-par... lots of things it could be.

I didn't use Motor Trend to observe that the T5-R's handling had some problems, though. I used Edmunds, who is more trustworthy. In fact, you will find that I almost never use MT as a cite.

Motor Trend is also the same magazine that complained that the GTO (Holden Monaro) had a live axel.

but live axles improve handling! they make F-250's like go-carts.

Why do people try and talk reason into Spectre?

It is like dividing by zero.

So you think MotorTrend is accurate?

Well, in this article they really like the BMW 540i and I believe declare it a winner. Using your logic, because it's MotorTrend, it must be a bad car...no?

Just because they screw up from time to time, does not automatically mean that the T5-R was a bad car and that their observations are inaccurate.
Not on this specific topic but in general if I have proof that something I read had made a mistake that they didn't own up to I am a lot less inclined to believe what they say about other topics. It doesn't mean that T5-R was a horrible car but it does make their review untrustworthy.

There are not many Volvos around here so I can't say they drive any worse than others. Worst drivers seem to be in the most boring cars on the road (your Camry/Corolla)

Motor Trend is also the same magazine that complained that the GTO (Holden Monaro) had a live axel.

I am still waiting for MotorTrend to complain about the front-mounted engine on the Porsche 911 being difficult to service. It's that kind of magazine. :p

Sooo I hate to admit it... but I kinda like the V70R :| There is just something appealing about a big boring looking wagon with AWD and a 300hp turbo 5-cylinder.

009.jpg

project_v70r.jpg

V70R.JPG

And those seats look really comfy:
112_0308_roadtests_z+2004_volvo_v70_r_wagon+interior.jpg

Sometimes I hate to admit that I'm awesome, too. It's okay. Let the awesome out. That's better.

Nope, it means that MT reviews should be looked at skeptically.

Another example: MT is also notorious for somehow obtaining low time 0-60 results that no other magazine seems to be able to duplicate. The joke is that MT tests some of their cars on a downhill slope with an occasional tailwind.

They also have a nasty habit where 'car of the year' seems to correlate well with 'bought the most ad space' - Motor Trend made the new decontented and cheapened VW Passat their 'Car Of The Year' recently. And they have *lots* of VW ads this year. And the Passat isn't even vaguely deserving of that award.

Their recent COTY track record isn't very good, either. It reads mostly like a rickhamilton Wish List Of Awful.

2011 Chevrolet Volt
2007 Toyota Camry
2005 Chrysler 300
2004 Toyota Prius
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2000 Lincoln LS
1997 Chevrolet Malibu
1995 Chrysler Cirrus
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix

In the context of the time though I could see why some of those were chosen:

*Volt - technological innovation. one can hate it due to all the "downsides" sure. But it's still a technological leap forward for the automobile. I personally like it.

300 - Highly polarizing, a surprisingly good drive, and a bold move to introduce a rear drive car from a company who seemingly abandoned RWD first. Was the interior perhaps a bit shit? Sure. But it was still decent enough for the time.

Prius - Again, technological innovation only this time pushed to the forefront of America's consciousness...it managed to become a cultural icon as much as many enthusiasts hated it.

Cirrus - I still don't see why the OG "cloud cars" are derided. They're still handsomely styled, drive well, and are roomy. Only the interior plastics are a letdown. Ok so that and the crash test scores. And I guess the UltraFail automatic...And th..OK I get it. :p

PT Cruiser - Because. Different. Honestly at the time it wasn't bad, hell I still think the 2008 or whatever was a good car, if slightly cheapened inside. A small wagon that's massively roomy inside and with good fuel economy. Why not?

The 2007 Camry though...that was complete BS. How that piece of shit won an award is anyone's guess.

I wonder if I will get pulled over a lot if I buy and make something like this?

DSC03219.jpg

:p

No because to 99.99% of the road going population you will look like this:

fluffnazcivic1.jpg

Pulled over by cops I mean.

RACECAR on the road :)

I wonder if I will get pulled over a lot if I buy and make something like this?

DSC03219.jpg

:p

You are doing it wrong.

aaw32r.jpg

Pic taken at the Volvo museum in Gothenburg, so it's the real deal.

You know what was holding up a whole STRING of cars on I-35 north the other day, just south of Killeen?

Not a lolvo.

Anyone guess Prius?

Anyone?

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner, 'twas a first-gen Prius. Entitled son of a cow was doing 55 in a 65 in the left lane and needs to be whipped with a giant herring for being a fartknocker.

You know what was holding up a whole STRING of cars on I-35 north the other day, just south of Killeen?

Not a lolvo.

Anyone guess Prius?

Anyone?

Ding ding ding! Winner winner chicken dinner, 'twas a first-gen Prius. Entitled son of a cow was doing 55 in a 65 in the left lane and needs to be whipped with a giant herring for being a fartknocker.

This is Texas. Don't tell me there wasn't one person, and only one would be needed, who didn't have an appropriate firearm available to give that person what he/she deserved.

Coming home today I saw an S60 driven by a complete douchenozzle. Tailgating, swerving, cutting people off, flooring one pedal after the other. But since we were in heavy traffic he couldn't really get ahead of anyone. I was behind him getting off the highway when he blew through a toll booth at 30mph+. After the tool booth, however, there are two lanes going around a fairly tight bend. He wasn't too happy when I blew his doors off :evil:

Summer tires <3

Coming home today I saw an S60 driven by a complete douchenozzle.

There are two possible one-word responses to this:

1) Redundant.

2) Masshole.

Coming home today I saw an S60 driven by a complete douchenozzle. Tailgating, swerving, cutting people off, flooring one pedal after the other. But since we were in heavy traffic he couldn't really get ahead of anyone. I was behind him getting off the highway when he blew through a toll booth at 30mph+. After the tool booth, however, there are two lanes going around a fairly tight bend. He wasn't too happy when I blew his doors off :evil:

Summer tires <3

So effectively you managed to outdouche the douchenozzle?