The Physical Conditioning -thread

^Cycling on the road scares the living shit out of me. To many idiot drivers, I'll stick with my mountain bike and the occasional rail-trail.

^Cycling on the road scares the living shit out of me. To many idiot drivers, I'll stick with my mountain bike and the occasional rail-trail.

Me too. But Munich is pretty awesome because it has a big park going right down the middle of it.

I biked this stretch and back (google maps), and of that no more than 1km each way was on a road, which was over the bridge to cross the Isar (river through Munich), and the entire rest was along the so-called Isar-Radweg, a bikepath that follows the Isar for its entire 250 or so km length, from the Alps to the Danube, amongst others through Munich.

Shit...my work schedule is messing up my training big time....So far I've managed only once to the gym and twice running this week.

Although the past two months have been very good. I have even managed to drop 2kg in weight and I already weigh next to nothing :blink: Oh well...on the bright side that shows in muscle definition. And I'm more fit than I was in February.

cyclists that choose to ride down roads, especially tight twisty roads with blind turns, scare the hell out of me. You never know when you're going to come around a turn and find one of those yahoos right in front of you. I don't know much about cycling, but aren't there tracks or something for that sort of thing? Sidewalks, parks, idk :dunno:

cyclists that choose to ride down roads, especially tight twisty roads with blind turns, scare the hell out of me. You never know when you're going to come around a turn and find one of those yahoos right in front of you. I don't know much about cycling, but aren't there tracks or something for that sort of thing? Sidewalks, parks, idk :dunno:

Cycling technically isn't allowed on sidewalks in a lot of places. Hardcore cyclists cycle quite quickly, so it's probably even less safe to cycle on sidewalks since people use them mainly for walking. Around where I live, cyclists can get by riding on the road because the speed limit is usually 40mph or less and even in big groups they don't mess with the flow of traffic.

I asked this in random thoughts and got kindly directed to here :)

I want to tone up to go on holiday, Im not fat but after a year of eating what I want because I had good metabolism, Id say its starting to tak its toll.
Im 5ft 9, and approx. 10st, but everyone thinks Im lying when I tell them that because I don't look it. I want to tone up my thighs and stomach mainly and am willing to do work everyday..
I've cut out unhealthy snacks and currently eat 2 or 3 healthy meals a day, like I always have.
Any tips about whether it's possible?

Last edited:
I'm going on one month into my diet/exercise program and already I've hit my first roadblock. :mad:

I'm 5'9" and was a portly 202 lbs before I decided enough was enough. I stopped overeating, I cut out the fried and/or processed foods, cut out as much sugar and fat as possible, increased the intake of fresh fruits/veggies/cereals/grains/dairy, cut way back on the meat, I run 5-6 days a week covering 6-8 miles, I walk at least 15 miles or more every week and things were off to a great start. The first few pounds literally just fell off.

Week 1: 8 pounds
Things got harder, but I kept it up.
Week 2: 1 pound
Same old same old...
Week 3: 2.4 pounds

I've had a couple of offsets where I gained a pound or less for seemingly no reason. I think this is what health experts call "homeostasis", where my body settles into the routine, becomes more efficient and thus finds ways to hold on to fat stores. This would be a good thing if this were the Stone Age and I didn't know when or where my next meal would come from, but not so good when I'm simply trying to get down to a normal weight. I'd like to be somewhere in the 160-ish lb range, but I've got a long way to go. Should I just buy some free weights or something?

I want to tone up to go on holiday, Im not fat but after a year of eating what I want because I had good metabolism, Id say its starting to tak its toll.
Im 5ft 9, and approx. 10st, but everyone thinks Im lying when I tell them that because I don't look it. I want to tone up my thighs and stomach mainly and am willing to do work everyday..
I've cut out unhealthy snacks and currently eat 2 or 3 healthy meals a day, like I always have.

Right here are some of the stuff that are on the top off my head...abdominal area is fairly easy, but thighs & butt are perhaps the most difficult area of the body to slim down and tighten.

First of all you should start running/jogging. Depending on your previous experience, start off fairly easy. Maybe 3-5 miles/day, 3 times for the first week. Running will get your body used to the stress and it is an easy way to lose body fat.

I would also recommend on doing squats at the gym, but don't use heavy weights: light weighs, full, deep movements and around 20 reps, 3-4 sets. How much weight to use is impossible for me to say, because I don't know you and your abilities, but an educated guess would be around 60 lbs. This'll get the front part of your thigs.

Another grat way to shape your thighs is to do static exercises, such as this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2r6sKTG6Os[/YOUTUBE]

Youtube has alot of great stuff, and check out other Expert Village videos; they are great for beginners and made by professionals. I love static exercises, because they work your core muscles and it improves muscle control.

For hamstrings/back part of thighs I favor hamstring curls. Again if you want to tone instead of gain muscle mass, more reps and less weight. Around 15-20 reps, 3-4 sets.

hamstrings-exercises-one-leg-laying-hamstring-curls.gif

Inner and outer thighs with one of these, and same deal: more reps, less weight:

Body-Solid-Inner-Thigh.jpg

Abs...there are about as many ways to tighten your abs as there are people training, but here are a few of my favorites:

Roman chair:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbD6F9lwsxI[/YOUTUBE]

Cross abdominal:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoblWyUJfJY&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

Ab crunch:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2dhgvPjvaQ&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

Like I said, abs are really easy to work on, because there are tons and tons of ways you can do that.

Umm...what else...now depending on your will and stamina, I'd visit the gym at least 4 times each week, preferrably 5 and some days you'll do both running and gym. But don't train everyday, 2 or 3 days straight and then rest to give your body time to recover. Naturally you should train your whole body instead of only abs and thighs, you'll get bored with that and you won't have enough time to recover from a training session if you train your thighs 3 times a week. I only listed ab and thigh exercises, because those were the areas you wanted to focus on.

Like I said, YouTube is full of great instructional videos, Expert Village being one of the better ones. I can also give more advise if needed, although I am by no means a personal trainer or a bodybuilder, but I'd like to think I know more than the average Joe.

The most important thing is to train hard but have fun while at it. Do every rep and every set until the breaking point - as in where you can't do anymore. Don't slack off and if you can, bring a friend: it's always more fun to train with someone else and talk crap while at it. It also encourages you to improve, because you tend to spur each other on. Also it is not a shame to ask the more experienced guys at the gym advice and tips on how to do a certain exercise. And trust me, those guys are easy to spot.

I hope this helps even somewhat, I just wrote as it came to my head, so I apologise if this was a bit messy. I'll try to write something a bit more comprehensive and better structured today or tomorrow.

I'm going on one month into my diet/exercise program and already I've hit my first roadblock. :mad:

I'm 5'9" and was a portly 202 lbs before I decided enough was enough. I stopped overeating, I cut out the fried and/or processed foods, cut out as much sugar and fat as possible, increased the intake of fresh fruits/veggies/cereals/grains/dairy, cut way back on the meat, I run 5-6 days a week covering 6-8 miles, I walk at least 15 miles or more every week and things were off to a great start. The first few pounds literally just fell off.

Week 1: 8 pounds
Things got harder, but I kept it up.
Week 2: 1 pound
Same old same old...
Week 3: 2.4 pounds

I've had a couple of offsets where I gained a pound or less for seemingly no reason. I think this is what health experts call "homeostasis", where my body settles into the routine, becomes more efficient and thus finds ways to hold on to fat stores. This would be a good thing if this were the Stone Age and I didn't know when or where my next meal would come from, but not so good when I'm simply trying to get down to a normal weight. I'd like to be somewhere in the 160-ish lb range, but I've got a long way to go. Should I just buy some free weights or something?

I may just as well answer this one too.

You are partially correct: your training does seem to be too one dimensional and it has become a rutine. But another big thing is, that you are running way too much: on average 7 miles almost everyday doesn't give your body enough time to recover. This is a common problem with people who have just started to exercise.

Rest is just as important, if not more, than the training itself. You may not notice or feel it, but your body can't keep up with that sort of pace, especially if you are new to this. All the training you are doing just makes you tired and sweaty, but it doesn't benefit you in any way. There will become a point very soon, if it already hasn't,when your running pace will start to go downhill and if you tried to do for example 10 miles instead of the 8 you have become used to, you will run out of steam after 8 miles.

You should have some variety: if you have been running the same route, change it, find a new one. Run shorter distances, maybe 5 miles, but run as fast as you can. Run longer distances, try to pace your running. You should also see if you're getting enough carbs (=energy) with all that training.

Also, hit the gym. Depending on what you want to achieve, 3-5 times/week. With running you will only burn fat and even than it isn't a whole body exercise. Also with weight training, muscle replaces fat and muscle consumes more oxygen. Therefore when you gain a a bit of muscle, you'll improve your oxygen consumption. You'll also have the ability to run faster and harder when you have a bit of muscle propelling you.

I had the same problem about six months ago: I had trained with the same weights, same reps and same amount of sets for too long and all development had ground to a halt. For the last month or two I started to change my regime, for some exercises added weight and cut down the amount of reps, for some the opposite. The results came instantly, for example I noe bench press about 20 lbs more than I did couple of months ago, and still going strong.

Variety is the key.

Last edited:

Bro. Michael seemed to post all the important information you need. I'd like to point out few things though.

You can't lose fat in specific points. It's in your genes where the fat piles up and where it doesn't. You can only lose fat overall. Working out the muscles at a specific point doesn't really help either, it's better to work your body overall.

Your weight seems quite healthy to me, I would recommend NOT reducing your calories per day. If your healthy meals consist of the right amount of protein (about 2g per kg per day) and other nutrients then it's fine. Eating 5 times per day would be ideal, but 3 times is fine.

Also dieting/working out for a short while it's not good, you should try to change your lifestyle for the best results.

Nooo I wasn't running 6-8 miles everyday, GOD no that's way too much and simply impossible for a 15 year ex-smoker with 40 pounds of extra weight! I'm running 6-8 miles a week. I hear what you're saying about the gym though, I need to ask if my pop can get me a discount at his gym. Either that or maybe scour the classifieds and buy some cheapo free weights.

Last edited:
Bro. Michael seemed to post all the important information you need. I'd like to point out few things though.

You can't lose fat in specific points. It's in your genes where the fat piles up and where it doesn't. You can only lose fat overall. Working out the muscles at a specific point doesn't really help either, it's better to work your body overall.

Your weight seems quite healthy to me, I would recommend NOT reducing your calories per day. If your healthy meals consist of the right amount of protein (about 2g per kg per day) and other nutrients then it's fine. Eating 5 times per day would be ideal, but 3 times is fine.

Also dieting/working out for a short while it's not good, you should try to change your lifestyle for the best results.

This. Chances are you aren't going to lose a lot of weight within the next few weeks. Do you exercise on a daily basis? As Brother Michael said, jogging is the way to go. Also, what are you eating on a daily basis? There is a lot food out there that is disguised as being healthy but in actuality, it's not very good for you. Heavily flavored yogurt, for example, sometimes has as much sugar as a can of soda. They'll say it's 99% fat free, but fat isn't exactly bad for you. But most people assume that eating fat = gaining fat.

I would also add that doing exercises with weights is fine, but don't expect miracles. As stated, working out your abs for instance, doesn't mean you will lose fat on your midsection. So don't think that doing 1000000 situps will give you a six pack overnight. Weight training has beneficial long term effects and isn't meant to be something you do once or twice a month. Also avoid any sort of crash diets or fad diets in general. I think it was Icebone who went on an all water and celery diet or something. I don't think he ever updated that thread about how it went, but I guarantee it didn't end well :lol:

Here's some good resources you could look through:
http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Thanks for your replies, guys!
I used to eat ALOT of snacks, all fattening foods. Now I eat 3 meals a day, cereal, soup or something, and then a Chicken Salad or some other meat meal.
I don't want to 'lose weight' as such, I just want to flatten my stomach and keep my legs toned.
I want it to be a long term thing from now, I just said the 2 week thing because that's when Im going on holiday and was seeing if any difference could be made. Im not part of a gym, and I can't jog but I think that's because I go too fast and so get tired quickly. If I did sit ups every night, how many should I start with or whatever?
:)

I want it to be a long term thing from now, I just said the 2 week thing because that's when Im going on holiday and was seeing if any difference could be made. Im not part of a gym, and I can't jog but I think that's because I go too fast and so get tired quickly. If I did sit ups every night, how many should I start with or whatever?
You don't need to necessarily run at first. Brisk walk is fine for a beginner.

I am not a huge fan of sit ups, because they tend to work out hip flexors more than than the abs itself. I prefer doing ab crunches instead. This kind of movement:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKg_cdwq9l4[/youtube]
As for the repetitions. 3x as 'many as you can do' with 1 minute rest in between is a good basic routine.

Boo @ Scooby, but crunches are superior to sit ups. Also check out reverse crunches:
http://stronglifts.com/the-reverse-crunch-get-your-six-pack-abs/

And again:
Doing ab exercises isn't going to flatten your stomach and doing leg exercises isn't going to "tone" your legs. As for jogging, just choose a steady pace that keeps your heart rate up. Remember to watch your form too, the last thing you want is to get joint pain from running incorrectly.

Im not part of a gym, and I can't jog but I think that's because I go too fast and so get tired quickly. If I did sit ups every night, how many should I start with or whatever?

Everyone can jog/run, save it for serious joint problems, asthma or such. It's just a matter of learning to pace your running according to your own stamina, so you don't run out of steam after the first two miles. That and having the will to actually get up from the couch, which seems to be the biggest obstacle for the majority of people.

Situps....well, as much as you can do, basically, but for most "average" people the limit seems to be somewhere around 30-40 reps. But to begin with you should find out how many you can do and then go from there: after you have determined the max. amount of reps you can do, choose maybe 3 different exercises (I'd go with ab crunch, cross abs and a static exercise, which I'll explain below) and then do for example 20 reps each, 3 sets each. That would give you a combined 180 repetitions. But as always, it's quality over quantity: anyone can do 180 situps, if they slack off and don't do them properly.

As a bonus, here is my absolute favorite abdominal exercise:

No equipment needed, unless you find a yogamatt/something similar more comfortable. Lie down on your back with your knees bent at about 90 degree angle and your hands on your sides. Your fingers should be about 20cm from your heels. Now lift your upper back/shoulders off the ground, as much as you can by crunching your abs and keep it that way, so there is constant tension on your abs. Now reach "down" with your hand and touch your heels, one at a time so it is right-left-right-left and so on.

But do this so that you are reaching straight to your heel, instead of rocking your whole upper body: you should feel a constant tension on your abs and after about 20 reps a burning sensation, in a good way. Keep your upper back off the ground the whole time and the more you crunch your abs to get your shoulders off the ground, the more effective the workout.

This is a great workout to tone and tighten your abs and it is really quick and easy to do. You probably won't get the hang of it at first trying, but keep practising, it'll eventually click, and then you will really start getting the desired result.

If after some tries you still can't find your proper pace for jogging, you could try cycling instead. It's not quite as effective for burning calories, but imo it's easier to keep going at a relatively consistent pace if you are unexperienced.

I know my problem is just going to fast, that might be because I used to compete in races such as the hurdles and 200m, sprints if you will. I'll have to go out a few times and find my pace.
As for the different abs things, I'll give them a try. As soon as I join a gym, probably sometime in September, then I'll be able to step everything up seriously but I really want to start toning now.

To sum up, jogging is best to do to generally get fit, tone up everywhere and such and concentrating on Abs, crunches are best because they're more concentrated? Or do they not really make a difference?

To sum up, jogging is best to do to generally get fit, tone up everywhere and such and concentrating on Abs, crunches are best because they're more concentrated? Or do they not really make a difference?

Of course it makes a difference, everything makes a difference. The point geeman was making was that ab crunches are more effective than traditional sit ups, because they concentrate only on your abs, whereas situps, especially if you use a sit up board, may not be as effective, because you tend to work hip flexers and even legs when done improperly.

And the point about training abs not effecting the fat loss around your stomach...that is true, because the loss of fat can happen anywhere, however it will naturally tighten and tone your abdominal area, because your ab muscles will get stronger, tighter and therefore will result in that toned look. Fat loss and muscle growth are two different things.

I know for a fact I've definitely gained weight since I haven't been to the gym for more than 1 month thanks to uni exams and a knee operation.

I'm going to hit the gym again tomorrow. What would you guys recommend I focus on since I'm still quiet restriced in terms of leg movement at the moment...