The Physical Conditioning -thread

Up to 212 now, very please with myself so far, just over 7 pounds muscle gain in 2 and a half months. Stayed at same body fat percentage so the gain is mostly muscle, but I'm starting to not see the results as easily. If I packed on 10 lbs at 180 I would look considerably bigger, now that I'm above 200 I see gains its just not as pronounced. Most gains in rectus abs, and oblique definition as well as serratus anterior. Would like better lower abdomen definition, leading to a deep cut off my pelvis. Also seeing nice growth in my lats and delts, I've made a conscious effort to not overgrow my pecs and arms. I'm also seeing good gains in flexibility and core strength, and I have my yoga teacher to thank for that. She is really awesome, and gives all of us individual attention to help us reach our goals. I'm able to do a planche pushup now, which I never thought I would be able to do, as well as hold a scorpion pose in yoga. All in all things are going well, I will be cheating on my diet and exercise next month when I visit a friend for a week, but I'll try to get in an hour or so a day of running and bodywieght/beach workout stuff since my gym company isn't in California that I guest at.

I have two gym related pet peeves...

1) Guys who monopolize the roman chair and use it improperly i.e. swing their legs like they are a 10 year old girl on a jungle gym.
2) People who walk behind me while I'm on the rowing machine in the middle of my drive.

Well up to 218 but it's all fat. Blergh, I went running in LA but didn't do any strength training and I ate like the kid in Matilda who ate the whole chocolate cake. Ahh well, vacation isn't fun if you aren't eating your way around the place you visit.

I was in Vegas for break and gained a few lbs, then lost it when I came back. Then I had some tooth issues that prevented me from eating solid food and I lost ~15lbs and couldn't lift for a month or so. It feels shitty going back to the gym having to lowbar 1-plate because any more feels like it would cause my back to collapse :/

One thing I have noticed about the gym....There are 2 activities that attract what I call "spaz work outers" and those are bicep curls with dumbbells and the rowing machine.

Mega thread bump here, but because I'm getting into the gym everyday I want to learn a few things from my fellow forumites that workout.

I was wondering if it was worth getting a heart monitor with calorimeter, because there are a lot of exercises I've been doing without knowing how many calories I'm burning and what my heart rate is at. I would like to know even though I know counting calories may not always be the best thing.

I'm not one of those that like measures out how much food I eat and subtract calories and all that, it's mostly just to know how much I've done for workout every day. I feel better if I do a 550 or 650 calorie workout, versus if I do a 200-300 calorie workout.

What sort of heart monitors would be good for the job? They have this bodybugg system there at the gym which costs like $175 and requires a monthly fee I think. Eh, hell no.

I use Polar monitor that syncs with my bike computer when I ride. I have never really bothered while at the gym, I usually workout for set amounts of time or distances not calories burned. The only reason for the monitor on the bike is the fact that I interval train while cycling where I aim for a consistent heart rate range.

Sweet. I'm glad you mentioned polar heart monitors because I was thinking of getting these: http://www.rei.com/product/793103/polar-rs300x-heart-rate-monitor-mens

Polar RS300X, which has a chest strap and a watch to tell you the heart rate and calories. Of all the ones I searched on REI, this was not only the cheapest but the best rated (which I feel is kinda ironic).

I'm doing cycling exercises (spinning really), and a lot of floor exercises with weights, and of course cardio on the machines (which tell you cals burnt and heartrate). So for these particulars and even just for walking exercises do you think it would be a worthwhile investment?

It boils down to this; I wouldn't cycle without a monitor as I feel it is an integral part of my workout. Also a word of advice, pre moisten your chest where the monitor will make contact... after that your sweat will facilitate the electrical connection.

Thank you sir

Take a small notebook to the gym with you. Record exactly the sets, rep #'s and weights of anything you do, and record your cardio as well. It will give you a guideline for what should be done on what day, ie. don't just keep hammering away at one thing, muscles have a growth and recovery stage needed after working them out.

It will also give you a guide to increase your intensity if you find it's becoming easy.

Take a small notebook to the gym with you. Record exactly the sets, rep #'s and weights of anything you do, and record your cardio as well. It will give you a guideline for what should be done on what day, ie. don't just keep hammering away at one thing, muscles have a growth and recovery stage needed after working them out.

It will also give you a guide to increase your intensity if you find it's becoming easy.

Oh yeah absolutely man. I'm with my trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays either working out a particular group of muscles or mixing in cardio and muscle work. It's never just bicep curls every day or something.

On the off days I'm not with her it's various types of cardio (either one that absolutely kills my calves, or just straight up running and huffing). I take a cycling class on Wednesdays. So it's like Cardio, Muscles, Cardio, Muscles, Cardio, Weekend rest.

I was wondering if it was worth getting a heart monitor with calorimeter, because there are a lot of exercises I've been doing without knowing how many calories I'm burning and what my heart rate is at.

no

Oh yeah absolutely man. I'm with my trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays either working out a particular group of muscles or mixing in cardio and muscle work. It's never just bicep curls every day or something.

I would also save my money and not pay a trainer unless they offer something useful.

The results of winter/spring workout schedule. Finally got some good definition on my abs and arms. The back pic shows the work I need to do on my lats to get that big V shape that I now want. Constant battle, constant improvement.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/raptorjesus/2011/07/10/2.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/raptorjesus/2011/07/10/3.jpg

Where do you find your workout plans, or do you make your own? I'm feeling like I need to change mine up again.

Where do you find your workout plans, or do you make your own? I'm feeling like I need to change mine up again.

I make my own, according to what I want to train and improve. Different lifting schedules for different sports that I play depending on season, and when I train for body parts I emphasize different things with my routine.

Got the Polar FT4 monitor and been keeping up with a rigorous workout regimen. I'm hoping to feel better by the end of this month.

I've been averaging 835 calories per workout, and tonight's was 913. I'm pretty happy with that and I don't really care if thats an under or overestimate, I feel fuckin worn out.

Been doing all different types of exercises, and the trainer had me this week on burst training... pretty intense and I loved it.

My goal is to get a stronger core by the end of this month, but also work on endurance when it comes to cardio. I'm going to be running for a straight hour, and I'm sure in the beginning I'll slow down for a couple minutes to catch my breath and all that but I hope that at some point I can just run straight for that hour.

Got the Polar FT4 monitor and been keeping up with a rigorous workout regimen. I'm hoping to feel better by the end of this month.

I've been averaging 835 calories per workout, and tonight's was 913. I'm pretty happy with that and I don't really care if thats an under or overestimate, I feel fuckin worn out.

Been doing all different types of exercises, and the trainer had me this week on burst training... pretty intense and I loved it.

My goal is to get a stronger core by the end of this month, but also work on endurance when it comes to cardio. I'm going to be running for a straight hour, and I'm sure in the beginning I'll slow down for a couple minutes to catch my breath and all that but I hope that at some point I can just run straight for that hour.

Keep at it brofessor. Just remember to keep a strict diet, otherwise you'll be fat and strong instead of lean and strong. As for running, try interval running. It's intense but will build up speed and endurance.

For core strength nothing beats a medicine ball and a friend. Look up all the stuff you can do with one. Also good is training on a balance board, it'll make you stabilize which will blast your core. I like doing free form squats on a balance board, really tightens the abs.