The Physical Conditioning -thread

Keep at it brofessor. Just remember to keep a strict diet, otherwise you'll be fat and strong instead of lean and strong. As for running, try interval running. It's intense but will build up speed and endurance.

For core strength nothing beats a medicine ball and a friend. Look up all the stuff you can do with one. Also good is training on a balance board, it'll make you stabilize which will blast your core. I like doing free form squats on a balance board, really tightens the abs.

I should try squats on the wobble board tomorrow! My regimen got a little bit messed this week so I'm not sure if I should freeform cardio tomorrow or add some other type of training. I might throw in the wobble board exercises since you brought it up.

My diet is pretty strict, and the trainer has already advised that I should do it but treat myself once a week to froyo. And she says you know that I should really go for it, but not too excessively. I can easily do that.

I'm eating 5-6 times a day and portioning. Getting the prots in and packin fiber, veggies, fruit. Let's hope it all works.

Trainer may seem like a waste of money to some, but it all depends on what you actually do with your trainer. Mine was voted the best at the gym, and she really is. She's super cute, super strict, keeps my ass burning but is very very very motivational. She's also accommodating and easy-going. She's given me a whole array of different exercises from drop sets to core workouts to bursts this week, cardio one other week. She's keeping me interested.

Did I also mention that she's super fucking cute?

Good man, with our ancestral diet its so easy to overload on carbs it aint even funny. No wonder there are so many fat indians.

Don't apologize for a trainer, if it gets you to the gym and helps you get fit never apologize for anything. Whatever it takes. Also trainers are great for the uninitiated who didn't lift and workout and play sports all their life. Hell I still go to a nutritionist a few times a year to keep adjusting my diet. Same with a trainer, I get evaluated for strength and conditioning at least 4 times a year as well as body fat % and some other metrics. There's a reason athletes see a trainer every day, they help tremendously.

Good man, with our ancestral diet its so easy to overload on carbs it aint even funny. No wonder there are so many fat indians.

What's your/the general consensus on the Paleo/Primal diet? I've started reading The Paleo Solution (and hopefully get to Good Fats, Bad Fats soon), and on the surface and logical level it makes sense that we haven't physically evolved that much in the last 50-100k years, but on the other hand it may just look like another blogger/new age fad (I'm the skeptical type) without too much in-depth scientific evidence to support it (ie. why are Japanese so healthy when they eat so much rice).

What's your/the general consensus on the Paleo/Primal diet? I've started reading The Paleo Solution (and hopefully get to Good Fats, Bad Fats soon), and on the surface and logical level it makes sense that we haven't physically evolved that much in the last 50-100k years, but on the other hand it may just look like another blogger/new age fad (I'm the skeptical type) without too much in-depth scientific evidence to support it (ie. why are Japanese so healthy when they eat so much rice).

When I say ancestral I mean south indian, which is loaded with rice and shit.

Don't apologize for a trainer, if it gets you to the gym and helps you get fit never apologize for anything. Whatever it takes. Also trainers are great for the uninitiated who didn't lift and workout and play sports all their life. Hell I still go to a nutritionist a few times a year to keep adjusting my diet. Same with a trainer, I get evaluated for strength and conditioning at least 4 times a year as well as body fat % and some other metrics. There's a reason athletes see a trainer every day, they help tremendously.

The south Indian weather is conducive to rice eating. The place is so goddamned hot you end up drinking tons of water and loading up on rice isn't a bad thing at all.

Come to the pleasant weather of the US and it's a different story. And you're right, all the older Indians I see are hugely fat, but not all Indians period. Some are so used to eating this much rice and feeling just fine. I can't do that, I feel like shit after eating that much.

I'm don't mean to be apologetic about the trainer, the only negative thing about training with her is the cost. But I mean I have savings, and it's for my health, so why not.

My boss has been raving to me about the spin exercise bike he bought and recommends me to buy one too. How much better are spin bikes compared to normal exercise bikes? And how do they compare to running?

My boss has been raving to me about the spin exercise bike he bought and recommends me to buy one too. How much better are spin bikes compared to normal exercise bikes? And how do they compare to running?

I absolutely hate spin bikes... they just give me an odd sensation, probably because you are driving the "front wheel" as oppose to the rear wheel on a real bicycle.

SPinner-NXT-large2.jpg

I generally like a more traditional exercise bikes because of the leg feel of sending power to the "rear wheel".

cybex-cyclone-upright-bike.jpg

Ideally I use a trainer with my actual bike.

07Fluid2bike.jpg

Thing is I don't have a bicycle (though I could just get a crappy second-hand one and then buy a trainer). And I was thinking that I could be doing some pedalling while watching tv shows or movies, which I do often.

And my budget is only around $AU400, so I definitely won't be getting a super nice spin bike or trainer

The problem with a stationary trainer or spin bike is that you'll tend to just pedal at a constant speed and elevation and as a result you aren't working as hard as you would be if you took your bike outside and road it. It's the breaking up of the rhythm and changing wind conditions along with constant accelerations that really tire you out, just pedaling at some constant is really easy. You also miss out on all the good feelings over actually being outside and feeling the wind and the speed.

The problem with a stationary trainer or spin bike is that you'll tend to just pedal at a constant speed and elevation and as a result you aren't working as hard as you would be if you took your bike outside and road it. It's the breaking up of the rhythm and changing wind conditions along with constant accelerations that really tire you out, just pedaling at some constant is really easy. You also miss out on all the good feelings over actually being outside and feeling the wind and the speed.

Yeah but when you don't live in Australia sometimes, 7 months out of the year are unsuitable and unpleasant for riding.

Skinsuits?

What about snow and ice on the roads for 5 months of the year? Cold isn't the only thing preventing riding, though it is one of them. I hate riding in the really cold, even with gloves and thermal gear it's fucking miserable.

Trainers are alright, but I just stop riding a lot in winter as you're right a trainer/exercise bike just isn't the same. No shortage of other workouts, might as well cross-train.

I thought about a bike+trainer, since the logic is sound: There is an extra ability to take your bike outside. But I don't have either and it seems that my budget of AUD400 doesn't really give me options for a good bike. Not to mention the laws here dictate that all cycling has to be on the roads unless it's in a park. And that's really reduced my enthusiasm for cycling outside.

What about snow and ice on the roads for 5 months of the year? Cold isn't the only thing preventing riding, though it is one of them. I hate riding in the really cold, even with gloves and thermal gear it's fucking miserable.

You can tell it doesn't snow here :p

I thought about a bike+trainer, since the logic is sound: There is an extra ability to take your bike outside. But I don't have either and it seems that my budget of AUD400 doesn't really give me options for a good bike. Not to mention the laws here dictate that all cycling has to be on the roads unless it's in a park. And that's really reduced my enthusiasm for cycling outside.

Riding on the footpath is pretty terrible IMO. Adelaide is probably the friendliest city in Australia to ride in as well, and there are always the trails you can ride.

It's not that good when there's bike lanes that only last for 100 metres or some roads that just don't have bike lanes. And there's no trails between my residence and work place/uni

Ha! Yeah.. But I personally just don't feel very much at ease cycling with cars whizzing pass just next to me. I tried it a few times and it was terrible. Maybe I'll just get the spinner.

Ha! Yeah.. But I personally just don't feel very much at ease cycling with cars whizzing pass just next to me. I tried it a few times and it was terrible. Maybe I'll just get the spinner.

It can be scary at times and I almost lost my nerve when I was in college, I was out riding when a person in a car purposely hit me in the arm with their wing mirror.

It's something you get used to, but my suggestion would be if you do plan to, seriously try and find a road bike opposed to a mountain bike, because with a road bike you'll be riding much faster (someone here told you gain around 10km/h compared to just a mountain bike), and the higher speeds means the speed differentials between you and the cars isn't so high so you are less likely to be run into when moving about.

1158 calories burned yesterday. I wonder how many I will be wasting today when I'm with the trainer doing PT.