The pop, soda, Coke, energy drink, carbonated beverage thread

In general, I would stay away from any soda that is supposed to have any sort of smoky flavor (beef jerky, bacon, chocolate bacon, etc).

Noted! :p

I tried the peppermint soda..it tastes 95% like a drugstore "starlight mint."

The last time I drank Coca-Cola/any fizzy drink/soda was...
Last September in Amsterdam on this weekender party/trip, somebody, my new friend bought me a JD and coke...
It was a special occasion...
Point is, me and soda... not anymore.

I heard a rumour, turned out to maybe be a hoax, about Pepsi "the lesser of the two evils"... Anyway... I heard that Pepsi (as well as Nestl? and Kraft) were using HEK293 (Human baby embryos)! - so that put me off, and I was standing in one of the local shops working out what soda I wanted... Knowing this about Pepsi... Thinking to myself
"Get Coca-Cola!"
"No wait! It cleans your toilet!"
"Makes pennies shiny!"
"Get Pepsi..."
"No wait, that contains our unborn!"
"Well get Coca-Cola!"
"But that cleans your toilet!"...
So I thought
"Ah **** it!"
I probably got a protein shake or water something.
But me and soda... No.

I used to LOVE Dr.Pepper... But...
I was happily drinking a full fat Dr.Pepper from Subway...
Read the bottle, just for the hell of it, and to my surprise/horror it said
aspartame...
I stopped drinking it then and there.
Finished my subway, and haven't touched Dr.Pepper since.
This was also last year, or late year before last.

Even if HEK293 turns out to be a hoax, I personally think I'm better of off the soda.
But that's how I remember the last time I had one, in Amsterdam.

I mean, Coca-Cola is a drink BEST SERVED CHILLED, but...
To get us to still buy it in the winter months, I hear they turned Father Christmas/Santa Claus 'Coca-Cola Red' and came up with a bunch of polar bears and semi trucks.

- - - Updated - - -

On the flipside to this thread where you include energy drinks...
I still enjoy those..
Ginseng you have Monster and Pussy options, Pussy is grape flavoured and, has a great can. (I am a sucker).
Red Bull for your caffeine fix
Glucose from Lucozade..

Honestly, I'd take bull pee over human foetuses or toilet cleaner any day.

Last edited:
I heard that Pepsi (as well as Nestl? and Kraft) were using HEK293 (Human baby embryos)!

A quick look at Wikipedia tells me HEK293 are just kidney cells*. I have no idea what ingredient kidney cells would be replacing in a soda...

*They were, in fact, derived from an aborted fetus, but it was a single fetus in 1973, and every cell since then are basically just clones of those original cells.

I never understood the "Look what this product can do! Imagine what it does to you!" comments.

Vinegar and baking soda can do a shit ton of both helpful and damaging things to your body if used incorrectly. Your stomach has hydrochloric acid. Your body would die if didn't have enough of the coolant they use in nuclear power plants (water). The part of Coca-Cola that makes it shine pennies? Phosphoric acid...which is at a concentration with a PH of about 1/2 of what orange juice has of citric acid.

That's so weird that they use aspartame in UK regular Dr. Pepper. They don't use it in the US.

It is also king sized BS. There is no way the FDA would allow such a thing to be used in a food product of any kind.

Direct from the Pepsi website is the list of ingredients.

CARBONATED WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, SUGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, CAFFEINE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR

He's in the UK, though...and their Dr. Pepper recipe is different, for what it's worth. ;)

I wonder if they have the old 7 UP recipe? I never liked the altered formula.

I actually ruled out HEK293 being called HEK293 in UK (because I couldn't see it written as that)... and
These products are said to contain HEK293
health+pepsico.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

like 5% of those are available in the UK unless it's some speciality imported food shop that sells American food for 3 times the price.

- - - Updated - - -

But that was lame what they did to our Dr.Pepper...

It's not like they advertised them doing that, it's almost like they pulled the switch on us with out telling me/anybody.
Like one day it's sugar, next day it's aspartame.

Nobody said they CONTAIN it, from what I can tell. Even the source of the information just said that they used it to test ingredients...not that it was added. I have no issue with it as-is...even if it were true.

Last edited:
Nobody said they CONTAIN it, from what I can tell. Even the source of the information just said that they used it to test ingredients...not that it was added.
It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me; then.
As I said, I saw Pepsi as the lessor of the two evils, with their diet version containing fructose rather than Coca-Cola's aspartame containing Diet Coke; so when I heard that, I couldn't believe it.
Put me off any soda, even domestic brands, all sodas more or less.

soylent_pepsi_576_304_55.jpg

pepsi-abortion.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very interested in this compound.... Nearly all of the products in that collage are certified kosher and the flesh of an unborn human is super-duper unkosher. I really doubt that those responsible for kosher certification would overlook something like this, especially as it seems to be on the minds of plenty of people, so there must be a good explanation for all of this.

The question of whether cloned cells actually constitute the flesh of the original animal is something that I'd love to see tackled by traditional Jewish jurisprudence so I'll get to digging and whatever I find might shed some light on how this all plays out here.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me; then.
As I said, I saw Pepsi as the lessor of the two evils
If you believe that Pepsi put those cells in their soda, you're more gullible than a Donald Trump supporter. The whole thing is an example of what happens when clueless holier-than-thou campaigners get the attention they seek.

- - - Updated - - -

I really doubt that those responsible for kosher certification would overlook something like this
No reason to worry, see the above link.

especially as it seems to be on the minds of plenty of people, so there must be a good explanation for all of this.
The explanation is that a bunch of hardcore anti-abortion campaigners launched a somewhat successful misinformation campaign on an issue they don't understand. Possibly, they did it to extort money from the companies they targeted.

If you believe that Pepsi put those cells in their soda, you're more gullible than a Donald Trump supporter. The whole thing is an example of what happens when clueless holier-than-thou campaigners get the attention they seek.
It came down to, even if it is a hoax... Soda lost its appeal to me that day in the shop when I struggled to find a soda I wanted because I didn't want none of them in my body :lol: - that actually did leave a deep impact on my psyche, besides, I probably am better off for not drinking soda now anyway.

That goes without saying. You've done the right thing for completely the wrong reason. But for the love of God, don't share this bogus horror story anywhere else.
On the contrary, even back when I did believe it 100% with out a doubt, I didn't want to ruin Pepsi for my friends...
I just said
"I heard something about that, and it put me off"
"I don't want to put you off yours but, I'll take a water" :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't want to put any of you off Pepsi...
But I heard a rumour...

Bought a Mtn Dew 'Murica flavor from the work vending machine. Its actively terrible

1XHJhfa.png

Bought a Mtn Dew 'Murica flavor from the work vending machine. Its actively terrible

1XHJhfa.png

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Has anyone found Pepsi Heat (Cinnamon flavor) yet?

Going to try and go to Galco's Old World Grocery while in LA. Anybody been there? I've heard they got some not so well known brands of soda.