The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

Currently I don't know how much it will be, but he told me I would get the biggest bonus since I'm the most valuable employee. :)
Ooooh...kaaay? My boss told me the bonus will be 1500 Euros, I didn't expect it to be that much - well, then it will be 1500 Euros towards charity. :)

Yes, there will be a sizable donation to the OHSU amongst others.

Ooooh...kaaay? My boss told me the bonus will be 1500 Euros, I didn't expect it to be that much - well, then it will be 1500 Euros towards charity. :)
At those levels it makes sense to ensure you get a Spendenbescheinigung to get taxes refunded... you can donate the refund again if you like :grin:

Today I received said bonus and already forwarded 200$ to the OHSU in memory of Alex, another 150 Euros to a charity which repairs donated bicycles and practically gives them away to refugees and other people in need, another 150 Euros to the local food bank and another 150 Euros to the local animal shelter. :) There are still 880 Euros to donate, I still haven't decided where those will go, hopefully I will eventually come up with meaningful receivers.

Last edited:
Today I received said bonus and already forwarded 200$ to the OHSU in memory of Alex, another 150 Euros to a charity which repairs donated bicycles and practically gives them away to refugees and other people in need, another 150 Euros to the local food bank and another 150 Euros to the local animal shelter. :) There are still 880 Euros to donate, I still haven't decided where those will go, hopefully I will eventually come up with meaningful receivers.
Today I came up with two more meaningful receivers: the International Auschwitz Committee and EXIT-Germany now have 150 Euros more each to work with. :)

...and the rest of the Corona bonus is donated as well, the last chunk of 150 Euros went to the children's hospice here in Hamburg. :)

Last edited:
Due to having much snowfall a few days ago and sub-zero temperatures since then, the step in front of my house is slippery as hell because we don't have a decent, winter-suitable doormat. So I went out to buy one. Because we are in Corona lockdown, the DIY stores are closed - but you can order (well, make a reservation) online and pick up your order at their doorstep. So I did exactly that. Sadly, my order failed. But the personnel at the store was really nice - she asked me what I ordered (I could vaguely describe that) and went to search for it in the store. For a €6 item. :) There is some hope for service in Germany, it seems. :)

One of the shifting cables of one of my bikes snapped.

Hear me out, it's still positive since it snapped literally 200 metres before the end of the ride and not somewhere far away from home since I did a 105 km ride...

...and I fixed it by myself, first time I changed a shifting cable and the shifting still works. :) Alright, it's not rocket science, but still: first try, first success. :)

About the only things I haven't done are replacing a bottom bracket, brake fluid on hydraulic brakes or anything which involves replacing the brake fluid (changing STIs, brake levers or brake calipers).

One of the shifting cables of one of my bikes snapped.

Hear me out, it's still positive since it snapped literally 200 metres before the end of the ride and not somewhere far away from home since I did a 105 km ride...

I once had a shift cable break on me giving me only the smallest possible cog. That was a sweaty (and slow) ride home. Not a huge deal but 20 kms suddenly becomes a long ride if tour topspeed is 12kph

MzVz42n.jpg

Since this night is (as near as makes no difference) summer solstice a couple of people including me decided it would be a good idea to circumnavigate the "Green Ring" (a ring which knits many parts of non-roads together to form a 100 km ring) by bike by night. We did it, but as the endpoint is 30 km away from my home I decided it would be best to go home by public transport which on weekends thankfully runs around the clock, but of course less often. When I arrived at the subway station I had a minute to spare before the next train arrived, but I had to change trains no matter what. Unfortunately the connections between the tube I had to take first and the tube which runs near home aren't ideal so I'd have to wait 19 minutes at one station or the other. With changing trains three times instead of once I was able to catch up to the one which left a minute before my first train arrived so I'm 20 minutes home earlier. :)

Spent a good chunk of the day doing some cable management. Cleaned up under the bedroom TV/dresser and our two nightstand. Spent some money on mounted power strips with right-angle/flush plugs, and used up a whole mess of cable clips and screws I saved from my last job. I always think I hate doing it, but after I'm done, and the results are so good, I fool myself into think I enjoyed it.

Was:
20210620_211724.jpg
20210620_211825.jpg

Now:
20210620_175634.jpg

20210620_154559.jpg

Wow… if you consider that first pic messy you’d die looking under my desk….

Also, I managed to revive my raspberry pi by breaking it open and discovering a sequence of led flashes, googling for the answer and….

d326bad1ad7b4f84e99e8287803bf58b.jpg

I guess I’ll cancel my order for a new one then

Wow… if you consider that first pic messy you’d die looking under my desk….
Oh, this is the bedroom TV, and all it is, is the TV, the raspbery pi, the neon flamingo light, and a power strip because the TV's plug wasn't a flat one, and I couldn't push the dresser back very far without it.

Here's my computer desk:
20210621_185029.jpg

As you can see by the clamps, it's a "before" photo. Ha! I lost the c-clamp for my monitor arm. I used to have it installed using the 1/2 bolt-through method, but don't want to drill a hole in this desk. Unfortunately, the arm is discontinued so I can't get a replacement clamp for it, so for a temporary solution, drilled a small hole in a piece of plywood to mount the arm, and clamped the plywood to the desk.