The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

I found a typo in my english teacher's own textbook she's written. She said all of the english teachers that have reviewed it so far, from across California and other states, all missed this one. She said she'd give me some "bonus points". Should I ask for a co-writer or editor credit instead? ;)

I pride myself on being the one who always seems to be able to find them, and this really cemented that feeling.

My favorite one was a Chinese restaurant that has had an awning outside since at least 2009 (according tot he google street view history) with their own custom lettering on it. It was up for 10 years. Seemingly they never noticed, and if anyone saw it they never told them, that it said "MANDRAIN" in stead of "MANDARIN"
1631076573007.png

Another time, I jokingly asked the worker behind the counter, working at the pizza place in the mall's foodcourt, what the extra "Z" was for in their name, "Express Pizzza". She asked me what I meant, so I pointed to her shirt with the restaurant logo. She looked down, very confused. She then grabbed a menu so she could see it right-side-up. Then she leaned way over the counter to try to look up at the neon sign with their logo above the counter, and she started laughing. She said she had been wearing this damned shirt and walks past the neon sign for 2 years and never noticed the extra "z" in "pizzza".

It's spelled "HUMAN"!

One of the very first places I went after I got my drivers' license, was an adult book/VHS/novelty shop. I was only 16, so I couldn't get in beyond the front vestibule, but I just had to point out that their business name and sign, "ADULT VIDEO'S" made no sense. :lmao:

I just had my first essay graded, and the professor asked if she could use two of my paragraphs as samples in the textbook she's been writing. I'm hoping she plans to use them as "good" examples, but hey...no such thing as bad publicity.

I grew up near a bar that has a sign proclaiming "Dancing Sandwiches". We would go in to play pool and ask to see the sandwiches dance. Now they have a mural with dancing sandwiches.

Was looking for a new job, applied for something that seemed okay, bullshitted my way through interviews, asked for a crapload of money, they said yes to my surprise.

So… yay?

Feels a bit weird changing jobs (Ive been with the current one for 11 years so I was bored) but this feels new and exciting!

Feels a bit weird changing jobs (Ive been with the current one for 11 years so I was bored) but this feels new and exciting!

This is how I've been feeling for quite a few months lately. I need to do something different. I've lost my drive to keep doing what I currently do and just feel stressed out when I have a bunch of people coming at me in a day.

Yeah that was basically exactly where I was at. Just going through the motions but not really enjoying the work. There’s 2 ways out :

- accept that this is life, your job is easy now since you’ve been doing it for so long. Also you’re becoming too expensive to fire so you can stop caring and do whatever

- look for something else that does appeal to you. Since you already have a job, you get to be picky and let your new employer cater to your needs instead of vice versa. Downside is you’ll lose touch with cool coworkers (your results may vary)

I too was scared of option B but in the end, you have very little to lose from it. You also have very little to gain from staying in option A

Finally finally FINALLY took care of the stupid spilt ends that were starting to get painful at the end of my hair. My hair is crap on a good day and I usually straighten it as it's not curly, not straight, but wavy with extra frizz. My last haircut was in March 2020 and even a brush was catching at the ends and yanking on it. Grumble. So, welp. Physical pain averted, I guess.

<kinda gross?>
I got a pedicure, too. Both of my big toenails are healing from a prior injury, so it helps to cut away the extra skin around my toenail. So, yeah: Money I didn't really want to spend, but dammit if it wasn't helpful and needed a bit. Also, I found a cheaper nail salon who dealt with my busted feet with care, and they had a bazillion polishes to choose from to hide the weird healing spot. Nice. Holy hell, I didn't want to spend the money, but I needed someone, anyone, to deal with that. It was starting to hurt a bit. I exacerbated this problem by cutting things too short/in the wrong place, hence involving professionals.

So, today was a good day.

Last edited:
So I just heard from my team leader... the raise I asked for got approved completely. :) That was especially unexpected because my demand was intentionally more than what is considered acceptable in my company. :D
Also, five days more vacation also approved (which will, of course, have a negative effect on the salary). :)

(which will, of course, have a negative effect on the salary). :)

I don't understand that part.

In my company, my vacation is paid at the average rate of the current year, taking into account my overtime. So if I do on average 10% overtime, my vacation is paid at 110% of my normal rate. So vacation pay brings my salary up :D

Having more vacation days equals reducing the yearly amount of working days equals reducing the contract from "full time" to.... I don't know, 98% or so. Either that, or working less reduces my bonus because that is calculated from hours worked per year.
The request was so unusual my boss couldn't exactly tell me, so I'm waiting for the paperwork from HR. :D

If you’re in a position where you could afford your lifestyle, the more vacation, less time spent at work but maintaining the same amount in your bank account is a win win to me.

If you’re in a position where you could afford your lifestyle, the more vacation, less time spent at work but maintaining the same amount in your bank account is a win win to me.
that was always a very fascinating concept to me, how different individual people value their own free time.
there's always a certain cut-off, from where, with increasing pay (per hour that is), people will rather start reducing the time they work rather than take home more money. i have friends who try to tell me they'd still be doing 40h/week even if paid 200k€/year... and while I do like my job, that sounds like insanity to me. of course this whole thing ignores the fact that reducing hours while maintaining high pay may not even be possible (but that's a different issue).

Last edited:
This is interesting. We get extra days off accrued over time. I worked at my current employer for over 10 years, which entitled me to 3 ‘free’ days off. Couple that to the fact we already get 25 days off AND sometimes we get extra ‘free’ days off, and overtime counts as days off too, means I have entirely too many days off. If I would take them all every year I wouldn’t be able to do my job properly.

I could easily take 2 months off without going over ‘budget’

Also I don’t get why getting a pay raise would impact your holiday time or vice versa? Here those are seperated. Pay stays the same if you get extra time off.

Also I don’t get why getting a pay raise would impact your holiday time or vice versa? Here those are seperated. Pay stays the same if you get extra time off.
Step 1: Agree on a pay raise, pay goes up by (say) 10%.
Step 2: Separately, agree to get (say) five extra days off. The annual pay total might go down by 2.x% to account for the fewer days worked, then it would just be a conversion similar to a part-time agreement of (say) 30 instead of 40 hours per week. If pay doesn't go down then it'd effectively be another 2.x% pay raise.

Step 1: Agree on a pay raise, pay goes up by (say) 10%.
Step 2: Separately, agree to get (say) five extra days off. The annual pay total might go down by 2.x% to account for the fewer days worked, then it would just be a conversion similar to a part-time agreement of (say) 30 instead of 40 hours per week. If pay doesn't go down then it'd effectively be another 2.x% pay raise.
I think over here it counts as a worked day, so you get paid what you would for a "normal" day. So getting extra days off is effectively another raise (since you get monies but don't need to work as many days)

I think over here it counts as a worked day, so you get paid what you would for a "normal" day. So getting extra days off is effectively another raise (since you get monies but don't need to work as many days)
Yup, we get paid those days too. Hence the urge to convert money<->days when it's not supposed to be a raise.