The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

Sent CV to IKEA for a job at their restaurant.
Got a call for a group dynamic next Thursday :sick2:

Minimum wage, 15% employee discount and extra pay for weekends.
It's crap, but it's something.

Sent CV to IKEA for a job at their restaurant.

Good luck! IKEA isn’t a bad employer and they actually welcome people with “oddball” CVs, at least as far as my own experience is concerned.

The company I work for started transporting cells for research purposes a while ago. These are pretty good jobs for various reasons and they also have a tendency to get cancelled at the last minute, like while you’re already on the way to the collection point. This means you get to charge the full amount, travel as planned and don’t have to do icky stuff like actually work.

Yesterday was one of those days and so I have half a day to spend in Boston and decided to spend it on the water. With great success!

Apart from this and a couple more humpbacks (maybe three) we got to see a number of sei whales that’s going to keep even the on-board marine biologist very happy for quite some time.

Oh crap, got the details for the group dynamic:
It's all the way across town, outside Lisbon, in an area not covered by public transport.
How I am supposed to get there for the interview, let alone work there?

Ask them. There’s bound to be more people with that problem, so there must be solutions for it. Carpools, shuttles, bus routes that Google doesn’t know… that sort of thing.

Also, if it’s IKEA Loures, there is some information on the website:

Last edited:
Oh crap, got the details for the group dynamic:
It's all the way across town, outside Lisbon, in an area not covered by public transport.
Is there perhaps a special IKEA bus? I know there is one in Zagreb. If there is, it should be on your country's IKEA website.

we at least got the notarys bill, of course,
Oh oh oh... I'm a week late and all, but we got the keys and everything sorted out last week... and directly started having the place torn apart. I go over at least twice a week to have a look and the pace at which things are happening is quite astonishing. let's hope that this is a good sign also for putting stuff back in :|
random pic of current state of things:
1651735973092.png

(the floor was white carpet, the ceiling covered in dark wood paneling - very 80s. old school radiator will go (to the side on the wall), windows will get replaced, bit of additional insulation put onto the inside of the roof and nice wooden floors put in. it'll take a while)

edit: also started the subsidy optimization by applying for funding to have the attic floor insulated - doing this first on its own for some reason increases funding of everything we do after (which is a lot) by another 5%p :dunno: seems energy efficiency consultants are basically like tax consultants in just knowing which loopholes to use...

Is there perhaps a special IKEA bus? I know there is one in Zagreb. If there is, it should be on your country's IKEA website.
Ask them. There’s bound to be more people with that problem, so there must be solutions for it. Carpools, shuttles, bus routes that Google doesn’t know… that sort of thing.

Also, if it’s IKEA Loures, there is some information on the website:
Turns out there is a bus, but it's just not worth it.
I'd have to take three buses and it takes them 90 minutes to get there.
It makes, now that I think of it: there are two stores, both just outside city limits, both in diametrically opposed sides of said city, I live close to one and that position is in the other.

But that is moot, I have an interview in a restaurant that is much closer. Wish me luck.

Luck has been wished! ;-)
Indeed!
Looks like they threw in a nice garden! 👍 Outskirts of Cologne or closer to Aachen?
Ha, that's mostly the neighbours garden tbh... but fair enough, at least looking into greenery that won't be built on. Our garden actually ends some 6m behind the house already. Not quite Cologne anymore, but the currently hip suburb for young families (I guess?) of Frechen-Königsdorf, which doesn't ruin my wifes bicycle commute of 3.5 km (actually the same in the future).

I found my favourite screwdriver earlier, I was starting to get worried. It was under the Mazda in the garage.

Well more yesterday and earlier this week...

Found work, and Saturday after submitting documents by email to the local government in the Black Forest, I have a temporary visa to stay in Germany which will bridge the gap between residency.

Are you sure you are in fact in Germany?

Anyway, I'm glad for you! (y)

Well, I had a choice, send by post or email. In person visits are still like April 2020. O_O

Weather is great, I went out this morning for a 175 km cruise through the nearby hills with the Mustang, then ate some gyro with my brother on his balcony in the sun and after that did a ~30 km bicycle ride. What a thoroughly pleasant Sunday. :giggle:

I sent an e-mail to my company telling them of a mistake they had made in the description of an upcoming courier job. They had misinterpreted a floor number and building name in Portuguese as a postcode and the name of the city. I only meant for them to correct it so that people would be more likely to bid on the job, instead I got this: “I see you speak the language. The job is yours.” 😂

Got a nice surprise from the in-laws as well. I’ve been planning and booking things for a California road trip and had floated the idea of spending the final two nights in a lighthouse or something in a similar location. As you can imagine, the word “inexpensive” has no place in these considerations. But they called this afternoon and said that since I’m doing all the research and planning, they’ll cough up for this idea and invite me and the spousal unit.

Finally, while in the grocery store, I noticed a girl of maybe twelve years pestering her father for something. Happens all the time and it’s best ignored, but I overheard what she actually wanted and it made me smile: “Daaaaaad, the powdered stuff tastes so baaaaad!” and later: “What if I peel them and you do the rest?” She wanted real mashed potatoes instead of powdered. ☺️ Young lady, I’d invite you over for a serving if that wasn’t creepier than POTUS 45.

Realistically, no, but thanks for asking.
I am just having a personal crisis with the lack of employment and feeling really shitty about myself and my career choices, but hey, this is the positivity thread:
It's Thursday, aka, pre-Friday.