The Post Your Pets Thread

Here's my cat again, his usual position when I'm on the pc.
https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ed/edmundo47/2009/08/10/Tino.jpg
He sure likes his attention. :)

A question...do you neuter your cats? I'm thinking about it, just to stop him wandering around and be missing for a couple of days. Not to mention that I live by the road, so he could get run over. Hell, he gut run over in my driveway!!

But I heard they get lazy and fat :D

A question...do you neuter your cats? I'm thinking about it, just to stop him wandering around and be missing for a couple of days. Not to mention that I live by the road, so he could get run over. Hell, he gut run over in my driveway!!

Take responsibility - have him neutered. Do the right thing.

Reactions: 47
They stay so active and fit because they're constantly chasing tail and killing shit outside.

Please, please do. Not only is he making babies and contributing to overpopulation of homeless pets (I know of no country in the world without an overpopulation of cats), but you're actually exposing him to potentially deadly diseases. The number one transmitter of feline AIDS (called FIV) is intact males. It's spread the same way as AIDS in humans and also through the deep bite wounds common between males fighting over territory. He's also at considerably increased risk for physical injury, infection, and abscesses from fighting wounds.

He will stay thin and active if you encourage him to stay thin and active. Feed a measured amount of kibble instead of an all you can eat buffet. You can mix in "diet" food to reduce his caloric intake if your vet feels he's gaining. Buy some fun toys to have in the house and engage him in physical activity and lay out the house so he has some toys for when you aren't home. My neutered male cat is quite slim, healthy, and happy at 9.5 pounds. He's a very long cat and maintains this ideal weight nicely.

Speaking of castration (yes, castration, I don't feel like being a PC pussy and using a gender neutral term to describe a gender specific action), my little doggy's getting his boys removed on wednesday.... :(

My male cat is fixed and he isn't fat at all. :confused: Just make sure to keep him active and he'll be fine.

Speaking of castration (yes, castration, I don't feel like being a PC pussy and using a gender neutral term to describe a gender specific action), my little doggy's getting his boys removed on wednesday.... :(

I thought neutering was gender specific, and that the female equivalent was spaying?

EDIT: OK, apparently spaying is specific to females, but neutering is gender neutral. I could have sworn I've heard people recommend "spaying and neutering" pets, though. :?

Last edited:
My boss' new Akita puppy...

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2009/08/11/2009-08-10_Hoshi.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2009/08/11/2009-08-10_Hoshi_Resting.jpg

I thought neutering was gender specific, and that the female equivalent was spaying?

EDIT: OK, apparently spaying is specific to females, but neutering is gender neutral. I could have sworn I've heard people recommend "spaying and neutering" pets, though.
I've always understood it as neutering = male, spaying = female.

Last edited:

EDIT: OK, apparently spaying is specific to females, but neutering is gender neutral. I could have sworn I've heard people recommend "spaying and neutering" pets, though. :?

I've always understood it as neutering = male, spaying = female.

In layman's terms (in America at least) you are both correct, neuter is used for males and spay for females. However as chaos found out this is technically incorrect. Neuter means, literally, without sex and is a general term that refers to the surgical removal of the reproductive organs. My understanding is that "castration" is not used in general conversation because it makes men fidget, cross their legs, and run away screaming while holding a firm grip on their genitals. I have, however, heard it used almost exclusively from vets and other veterinary professionals. I have no idea what the etiology of spay is.

Whichever term you use, it's still important for your pet's health.

That, basically, is what I was getting at. Neuter is the defacto vernacular term for neutering a male companion animal because it's a much nicer word, and I'm not a PC sheep. Spaying has no negative connotations so nobody has any problems saying it. And, by the way, neutering does have some positive effects on your pets health, but also some negative ones. Fixed male dogs, for instance, have a higher incidence of prostate cancer than intact males. The biggest reasons in favour of neutering for responsible pet owners (because, let's be honest, there's no way a responsible owner's pet is going to be wandering around the streets making babies) are that females won't have messy heat cycles and males won't have testosterone raging through their veins (ie. they'll be less aggressive and won't want to hump things).

Anyways, my dog likes sleeping on the back of the couch, so for the past few days we haven't been letting him. Don't want him jumping around once he has stitches in his groinal region. Sleep on your bed, you're a dog, that's where dogs sleep.

and I like the little Akita's boots. <3 furry dogs

The biggest reasons in favour of neutering for responsible pet owners (because, let's be honest, there's no way a responsible owner's pet is going to be wandering around the streets making babies) are that females won't have messy heat cycles and males won't have testosterone raging through their veins (ie. they'll be less aggressive and won't want to hump things).

I'd also like to add this statement is generally dog-specific. The thing with cats is if they want out, they WILL find a way out to make those babies. Dogs are, generally, confined with leashes and fences and not AS prone to accidental pregnancy/impregnation. As any cat owner knows, cats are considerably smarter than humans regardless of how responsible the person thinks she is.

and I like the little Akita's boots. <3 furry dogs

Agreed. Cute dog!

My little Jack Russel x Fox Terrier hasn't had a walk for like 3 days now thanks to the constant rain. :(

IMG_4388.JPG

^^

Dude...is your cat ok?:|

:p

^^

Dude...is your cat ok?:|

:p

Yup. For some reason he often sticks his tongue out like that. Vets say nothing is wrong with him.

He likes lying on things near me then putting a paw on me.

Yup. For some reason he often sticks his tongue out like that. Vets say nothing is wrong with him.

He likes lying on things near me then putting a paw on me.

I refer you to my avatar pic. Cats have teeny tiny front teeth and when they're very relaxed the tongue falls forward. That's an adorable picture. I think your cat is pretty fond of you. Until he kills you in your sleep.