The Power Tools Thread

Vette Boss

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6
Just pulled the trigger on my biggest power tool yet, a Milwaukee 1/2" mid-torque and a 3.0ah high-output battery, along with the rapid charger. Should arrive by next week. This thing is capable of over 550 ft-lbs (745nm), so it should tackle any bolt on my car.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
This thing is capable of over 550 ft-lbs (745nm), so it should tackle any bolt on my car.
Honestly that’d sort of scare me… I only have a puny 215 Nm thing and sort of feel like that’s overkill already. Then again, I don’t do anything more than change wheels… 🤣

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
Honestly that’d sort of scare me… I only have a puny 215 Nm thing and sort of feel like that’s overkill already. Then again, I don’t do anything more than change wheels… 🤣
All the Ugga Dugga.

Vette Boss

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6
Mainly, these things are used to break loose fasteners that either have loc-tite on the threads or have been there for ages. My Passat has some stubborn brake caliper carrier bolts that my weaker impact cannot touch, which is why I'm upgrading.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Just to be sure, is the one you purchased on of the new tools that go bang? You would want to return it if it is.

On a completely different note, how do people manage so many different battery systems? I watch Matthias Wandel and he seems to use every kind of power drill under the sun. The battery management would drive me mad. I had settled on Makita 18V with various adapters, only recently adding Milwaukee M12 because the tools are too good to miss out on.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
I was given a Makita 18V drill and compact impact years ago when the Ryobi drill I found when I moved into the house died. Been with them ever since with no regrets.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
I've been slowly building my cordless 20v dewalt collection since that is the battery platform I started with. I'm up to a 1/4" impact, 3/8" drill, 1/2" impact and a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Never had an issue with them.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
On a completely different note, how do people manage so many different battery systems? I watch Matthias Wandel and he seems to use every kind of power drill under the sun. The battery management would drive me mad. I had settled on Makita 18V with various adapters, only recently adding Milwaukee M12 because the tools are too good to miss out on.

I've got my chargers mounted on the wall, all together, and 2 shelves for batteries right next to them. I rarely keep batteries in the tools, so the habit is when I grab a tool, I also grab its battery, and when I put the tool away, the battery's taken out and put on the shelf or charger. So no matter what tool I grab, I know right where the batteries are. I don't have to go looking through my tools to find one with a battery still in it, and hoping it's charged enough. If I need to use my M12 small recip saw, I don't need to remember where I put my oscillating multi tool because that's the last time I used that bigger M12 battery...it's on the battery shelf.

The only real bummer is weight...let's say I'm grabbing three tools...I might have to bring 3 batteries, depending what the tools are. Maybe I've been lucky that I've never gotten to a location, and realized I grabbed the wrong (or not enough) batteries. But if i travelled to more job sites, and had to travel with multiple brands' batteries AND either extras or chargers, that would get heavy and cumbersome...AND you'd have to make sure you had access to three power outlets (which isn't always the case) or having to also bring a power strip...which is also annoying.

Last edited: