The Power Tools Thread

I want the "Tost is Sopent" t-shirt.

Since I now have one day a week completely to myself, I let YouTube inspire me and will, over the next weeks build something similar to this:
IMG_3274.jpeg

Work bench for my table saw (that exact one so I don’t even have to do any thinking about measurements) and integrated router station (to the right), which actually makes use of the saws fence - SMORT!
Will add a bunch of other stuff, ordered a proper shop vac to go with it, will put a bunch of 20mm holes in the top for various clamps and things, then also finally add a few jigs, starting with a proper sled. Yeees.

Added to the bunch cause I was fed up with changing between drilly-drills and screwy bits, so I got an impact driver for the screwy action. Also a rotating sander because why the hell not. Look at that ridiculously tiny dust bag lol. Useless!
1707508218043.jpeg
1707508262163.jpeg

Aaaanyway, spent my first free Wednesday rummaging around and trying to clear up my basement chaos room. Also got all the wood I need for the above mentioned bench. Yes, a 3m beam will fit into a model 3. with the trunk closed. Just. While resting on the dash.
So now let’s see how long it’ll take me to build the damn thing… 🤣

Work bench for my table saw (that exact one so I don’t even have to do any thinking about measurements) and integrated router station (to the right), which actually makes use of the saws fence - SMORT!
Building the router table into the table saw is such a great space-saving hack, I just received the mounting insert for mine and will get it fabbed up one of these months. If your fence has T-track slots it's super easy to build a face insert for the router side, or you can put the track inserts into the fence and use clamps. Lots of options.

If your fence has T-track slots it's super easy to build a face insert for the router side, or you can put the track inserts into the fence and use clamps. Lots of options.
Sadly, the latter, but still a very nice and easy thing to do/build. Update:
IMG_3335.jpeg

Sadly, I actually do have a different saw than the one from the original idea - the smaller dewalt unit. Which is a tiny bit annoying because the rubber feet on the right extend out about 1cm, so I’ll have to cut a little groove into the beam on the right. More than enough material, but doesn’t look great 🤣
Also means the whole thing is now 20 cm shorter and 10 cm narrower, in order to still accommodate the rails of the fence to clear the outside of the table. Already thinking about putting some fold-out extension on there to have a bigger work surface.
Also also: impact driver go brrrrrrr. So much more satisfying than driving screws in with the regular non-impact driver. Also not having to switch out inserts all the time.

I’ll just keep spamming this place up until someone tells me to stop, right? 🙈

IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg

Router is in. I may do a little cutting to the bottom of the mdf board there to accommodate the little dust extraction cover - currently it doesn’t fit, cause it collides with the mdf. Could’ve just been more generous with the cutout I guess… oh well. Also don’t sue me for using that cage instead of a proper router lift - those are either crap or expensive as hell. That right there works surprisingly well!
… now to bodge a IKEA clear plastic box into a dust extractor thing? Yeees!

I appreciate the tool pron.

So this is a thing now.

No, they’re not cheap at €250, but they’re not a weekend toy for the milwaukee addict, they’re proper PPE made to be used on the job site all day long. They’ve got active listening mode etc, like bluetooth ear defenders that cost a hundred (or two) more. I like.

IMG_2158.jpeg

10-hour runtime on the buds is nice, even if it's only 7 in "real world" use. Having basically a week of charge in the charging case is also nice. I have a set with a 100 hour case, and I love only getting caught quiet a charge like once a month instead of potentially every couple of days. 😅

They look well designed, I like the way they split up the functions so they can have one simple button per bud. Clear instructions in the case is brilliant. I wonder how well the batteries hold up to proper daily use in a work environment.

I think the split logo is awful but that's a minor thing, I suppose it helps tell left from right... assuming you know which one has which part of the logo.

Edit: The bench build is great by the way, I'm wondering if I can tuck one of those in the space between the MX-5 and the back wall of the garage. There's no electrickery in that garage but Milwaukee make a cordless 18V saw that I could use with Makita adapters and there's obviously the cordless router.

I've wondered if you could fit a mitre saw on that left table, you would have to mirror the design so it didn't interfere with the table saw.

Last edited:
I've wondered if you could fit a mitre saw on that left table, you would have to mirror the design so it didn't interfere with the table saw.
I guess you could always have the actual surface drop down far enough to still end up with one more or less continuous (but at least level) surface across all the tools.

I’ve already thought of adding a flip-up extension to the rear so larger pieces I push through the saw don’t just fall down. Issue is I have to leave a ~5cm gap for the rails of the fence.

Built a little sled for the saw as well. It’s all very nice and parallel, or rather normal (as in 90°). Buttttttt… I took too much care with the two wooden slats I put underneath to run inside the saws table grooves. They don’t “run“, but stick. Too tight 🤣 oh well, bit of sanding I guess…
IMG_3420.jpeg

For the eagle eyed: no those three aluminum rails arent screwed in yet, had to go get shorter screws 🙈

Have you waxed the runners? That seems to be an important thing. If you have, there's no way I can resist mentioning German precision. :p

Have you waxed the runners?
Good point, but not yet, no. At this point I’m quite convinced it wouldn’t help, that’s how tight of a fit it is…

German precision. :p
Not necessarily a good thing, is it? 🙈 real precision would’ve been to account for the necessary slack…

Not necessarily a good thing, is it? 🙈 real precision would’ve been to account for the necessary slack…

The longer I live here..... This whole "German precision" part is just... I don't know....

Post that conduit photo you sent me today.
maybe I should post a few pics of my electrical install in the basement… its not an industrial/commercial thing like above, so maybe there’s different standards and all, but there’s still some rather doubtful choices 🤣 but hey, at least I know which cable goes where…

maybe I should post a few pics of my electrical install in the basement… its not an industrial/commercial thing like above, so maybe there’s different standards and all, but there’s still some rather doubtful choices 🤣 but hey, at least I know which cable goes where…

Do it. I'm not great at this sort of thing, but what passes for conduit there is just silly.