The Power Tools Thread

Saw an ad on FB for a Milwaukee tool box kit with trolley. €299. Someone comments that “for that price, it’s full of tools right?”

I think someone has Milwaukee confused with Wish.

As it happens, I'm planning to pull the trigger on one of these trolleys after seeing one in the latest Late Brake Show video. I need some mobile storage, because this having metal drawers I think it will last me a long time.

1717333473579.png

The Dyson filters flow opposite to any other vacuum filter I've even seen. The visible outer part of the filter will look brand new. All the dust and dirt is trapped on the inside. I'm sure it's to make it difficult, if not impossible, to simply clean the filter and reuse it instead of giving them more money for new ones.

They're certainly handy vacuums but I'm not a fan of certain aspects of their design, if you couldn't tell.
I found that while blowing the dust out, the V6 top mounted filter is designed to be washed from the outside, too. The newer/upgraded rear filters can be removed to blow out. I quite like the design myself. Maybe the newer models are more difficult to work with.

1717333587715.png

Ugh, this Ryobi vacuum doesn't fit any of the attachments from my other two vacuums, including a Ridgid and a Hoover (all the same parent company)

Also, while it's an HP tool, it came with a standard battery. It's 4AH, but definitely would have preferred a 2AH HP battery...the 4AH battery makes the vac a bit more awkward to use one-handed.

I have one of these stepped adapters permanently fitted on my Bosch cordless vacuum, which allows me to use any attachments or connect to my Makita sander. The long bristle brush attachment that came with a really old Dirt Devil is the best. Not idea for a stick vacuum I suppose but it would be handy to have one.

1717487590555.png

Apparently it will take a 35mm hose.

1717487940794.png

Not technically a power tool, but it's for one...

Just ordered, supposed to get here on Sunday.

64029251.jpg

I have a "gut" issue that means at least a dozen times a day, I have to immediately, and without warning, stop what I do and head quickly to the bathroom. This has meant that for the last 3+ years, I've not been able to build anything in my driveway "shop", since my driveway is only 1 VW-Golf-deep, and the sidewalk leads to an elementary school at the end of the block, and I don't have time to pull everything in.

So, I'm hoping this will let me work in my back yard where I can abandon it without having to worry about danger/theft.

The goal is to build a "hutch" of sorts for the cat litter box, so we can possibly reclaim our dining area of our kitchen, which we don't use, because the litter box resides there.

I can't justify the Milwaukee track saw I really want, but this seems like the best value. At $100, the next closest would be the Kreg AccuCut, which has a plastic sled vs the metal Milescraft (which is the same issue as the similar Bora), and the more-complete Wen track saw, which has a lot of flex and play from the all-plastic saw. I have a 25-year-old Skil circular saw that is way better built, so I think I can trust the squareness more.

Compared to cheaper guides that don't include a sled for the saw, that are some straight edges, those don't have the clean-cut edge strip that the Milescraft does.

I won't be able to do miters/bevels that a true track saw could, but I can work around that.

Had a two stroke hedge trimmer, but didn't use it much as I hated the fumes.

So replaced with a cordless Ryobi, similar 55cm blade, space between teeth is 2mm bigger, 24mm. Rpm is about 1300, two stroke was about 1600.

Battery life good, but its more case of how quickly you can fill a bin, now really need a wood chipper...

RY18HT55Ac.jpg

I've had the smaller variant of the Ryobi since last summer:
View attachment 3569477
Probably the best 18V tool I've bought so far - certainly not what I expected :)

Needed to trim some bushes around the front of the house, the neighbor who usually did it before is moving out and has no time currently. Started out with hand shears, quickly decided „fuck that“ and found this thing on sale. Goes through the brush like butter, it's great.

The attachment as shown is awesome for creeping vines that overgrown pavement edges and such. Basically a beard trimmer on steroids.

The main blade (below) is only 20cm long, but easily enough for trimming some hedges and bushes, exactly what I need it for. The hedge off to the side of my parking spot grows like crazy this time of year, and I don't need it scratching the Tesla's paint, so the trimmer will get its fair share of work.

It's _by far_ my most used 18V tool of the whole collection, especially around early summer when the parking space hedges begin growing sideways like crazy. Neighbors have also started borrowing it regularly for the same purpose. Battery life is indeed quite impressive, I can easily do the whole front of the house on a single small 1.5Ah pack.

I've had the smaller variant of the Ryobi since last summer:

It's _by far_ my most used 18V tool of the whole collection, especially around early summer when the parking space hedges begin growing sideways like crazy. Neighbors have also started borrowing it regularly for the same purpose. Battery life is indeed quite impressive, I can easily do the whole front of the house on a single small 1.5Ah pack.

Speaking of which. already tidied up a little bit of the neighbours, got paid with a couple pieces of cake :love:

Not technically a power tool, but it's for one...

Just ordered, supposed to get here on Sunday.

View attachment 3572683

I have a "gut" issue that means at least a dozen times a day, I have to immediately, and without warning, stop what I do and head quickly to the bathroom. This has meant that for the last 3+ years, I've not been able to build anything in my driveway "shop", since my driveway is only 1 VW-Golf-deep, and the sidewalk leads to an elementary school at the end of the block, and I don't have time to pull everything in.

So, I'm hoping this will let me work in my back yard where I can abandon it without having to worry about danger/theft.

The goal is to build a "hutch" of sorts for the cat litter box, so we can possibly reclaim our dining area of our kitchen, which we don't use, because the litter box resides there.

I can't justify the Milwaukee track saw I really want, but this seems like the best value. At $100, the next closest would be the Kreg AccuCut, which has a plastic sled vs the metal Milescraft (which is the same issue as the similar Bora), and the more-complete Wen track saw, which has a lot of flex and play from the all-plastic saw. I have a 25-year-old Skil circular saw that is way better built, so I think I can trust the squareness more.

Compared to cheaper guides that don't include a sled for the saw, that are some straight edges, those don't have the clean-cut edge strip that the Milescraft does.

I won't be able to do miters/bevels that a true track saw could, but I can work around that.

I received it, but there was some minor damage to the track. A couple of the hold-downs came loose in the box in transit, and nicked the aluminum, causing a raised burr:
20240609_183955.jpg

Hardly the end of the world, but I documented it, sent it to them, and then fixed it in 20 seconds of filing with the ridged side of a flathead screwdriver so that I could use it. I had to follow up with them a couple of times, but they are sending a replacement track section for free. I wish it were two so that I could rip an entire 8ft sheet good, but I'll take it.

Mounting the saw to the sled was a bit tricky. I've seen a few videos where the battery of a cordless saw conflicted with one of the hold-down clamps. Since mine wasn't cordless, I didn't think there would be an issue. However, when I went to lower my blade because I was cutting through some 1.5" hickory, my depth locking lever jammed against the screw, and wouldn't secure all the way, so it wouldn't hold the depth.

I ended up taking my oscillating tool to grind away a notch so I could at least make this one cut. I'll clean it up and enlarge it later.

20240615_170122.jpg 20240615_170137.jpg

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it for the price. I wish the end caps were a bit more robust and secured a little easier. But, the edge cut quality was excellent, and straight enough for joinery.

I also wish the rubber overmold on my 20-year-old saw wasn't starting to turn gummy and sticky, because the whole reason for buying this instead of a track saw was because I already have a perfectly OK saw....but now I kinda want a new saw. 😅

but now I kinda want a new saw. 😅
That's always the case! :p

If you decide to go down that route, many Makita circular saws at least have an attachment for fitting onto their track saw track. I have one for mine and it works well. It's not exactly like a track saw but it's close enough for me.