The Power Tools Thread

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
The question is did your Aldi actually have any tools that were compatible with that battery? :p

And if they do now, what will you do a year from now when Lidl got bored and aren't selling them anymore?

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
And if they do now, what will you do a year from now when Lidl got bored and aren't selling them anymore?
That exactly what they do, and the chances are even if they are selling them your local stores won't have them in stock. I realised that I mixed up my Aldi and Lidl too, it's too easy.

I'd much rather get corded tools from either, my Parkside stainless can vacuum is a beast. Don't use it much not as I have the cordless Bosch but I refuse to throw it away.

Perc

Car(s)
Yeah, I don't find brand to be as important with corded tools either. That said, I don't have patience for crappy tools, cordless or corded.

Perc

Car(s)
My LXT x2 chainsaw lasts a lot longer with 6Ah batteries, but I still think I found the limit for what LXT can deliver.

I was down to one bar of battery power (out of 3, on the saw, not the battery) after maybe a total of five minutes worth of full throttle sawing through 100 year old log cabin logs. They didn't take too long to recharge back to green though so I imagine they just took a beating.

I can't imagine anyone would be dissatisfied with this saw for cutting firewood, but it does feel like 2-stroke power would be better for my use. Or maybe a Stihl or Husqvarna with their beefy battery system. Haven't tried either of those. I originally went with Makita thinking I could use my existing batteries and put the budget entirely towards a beefier saw instead of investing in a new battery platform but €190 in batteries later, I guess you could say it didn't quite work out as planned 😅

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
You can't get away from the fact that liquid fuel contains a shitload of energy for its volume/weight and it'll be a long time before batteries get anywhere near.

This was something Tim Hunkin brought up in the additional commentary on his remastered The Secret Life of the Engine - they calculated that pumping petrol is the equivalent of around 63GW, I haven't done the maths on that but intend to as it's going to be a massive number even if that's incorrect.

Last edited:

Perc

Car(s)
You can't get away from the fact that liquid fuel contains a shitload of energy for its volume/weight and it'll be a long time before batteries get anywhere near.

True, but 2x6Ah seems to be a plenty big enough fuel tank for my needs. The batteries just can't cope with draining it all at once when I'm chewing through several meters worth of floor (made from circa 30x15cm logs) in one go.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
The batteries just can't cope with draining it all at once when I'm chewing through several meters worth of floor (made from circa 30x15cm logs) in one go.
I wonder how much different the XGT would be, I can't find any tests of that kind of endurance. The voltage and current can't be much different so I wonder how the packaging of the cells affects it. I would expect the 40V battery to get hot more quickly.

Shame they don't have active cooling for the batteries like they have on the chargers.