The Power Tools Thread

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 Kuro PRHT, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
I didn't believe it would be the case when I got the Karcher foam gun but they vary wildly and it probably depends on the liquid too. Using Auto Glym foam the Karcher gun was rubbish even when turned right up but their own gun does a great job. I'm not sure that was entirely helpful.

Anyway I'm classing this as a power tool:

The technique works great for black plastic on cars, I've been looking at Freelanders and therefore went looking for a video about restoring the plastics on those. Wasn't disappointed.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
I understand that once you use heat to bring plastic back, you need to protect it or it'll come back just as chalky as before, if not worse.
Could be true. I restored the bumpers on Keely this way but then threw them in the bin before I found out if they went bad again. ?

I wouldn't mind having to go around and do those seats regularly though, I'd do it for free.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ
Could be true. I restored the bumpers on Keely this way but then threw them in the bin before I found out if they went bad again. ?

I wouldn't mind having to go around and do those seats regularly though, I'd do it for free.

Come to Mo-Kan, I'll put you on the scraper. It's got three torch heads and you make all the heat.

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
How is the foam cannon? I'm thinking about getting one.

I tried it again with the new 1.1mm orifice, and honestly, I don't see much of a difference. The problem might be the soap.

IMG_20210624_112635.jpg

Having the proper 40° nozzle for pre and post rinsing helps though.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
The liquid is such a massive variable, that's why I eventually went with the gun made by the manufacturer of the liquid.

Speaking of pressure washers, I had an email from Karcher about their cordless one. It seemed a bit crazy having a cordless thing that you run a hose out to but then I got an email from Makita about their new tools and guess what? They have a cordless pressure washer, too. Theirs comes with a storage bucket that doubles as a 50L reservoir.

MakitaCordlessPW.jpg

It states it pumps 6.3L/min at full power so that's just under 8 minutes of washing time, I suppose if you're absolutely stuck without a water source then it's fine but 8 minutes isn't much.

I don't plan on buying either, however eBay have a 20% code running so it might be a good time to get a couple of new 5Ah batteries. Some sellers also have Wera tools and I've been waiting to buy a ratcheting screwdriver at a decent price.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Cordless is nice and all but a pressure washer is one of those things that should run on 380 volts if possible. 230V that almost trips the 16A breaker at a minimum.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
So I did a bit of tool shopping.

Picked up an 18V Makita ratchet in the 20% eBay sale, despite being new it was included. Along with it I got a single 5Ah battery as it gives a significant discount over buying one (or even two) separately. Always wanted one of these, I have a cheap air ratchet but I've hardly used it as it's loud and running the air hose out is a pain. This is extremely quiet in comparison, should be great for bolts on the bobtail.

1624976571209.png

I could only find a few videos about it, it's too new for most tool review channels on YouTube. Project Farm has tested the 12V version but not this. Anyway one recommends the 1.5Ah battery to bring the weight right down and make it as slim as possible, might get one for this, the LED torch and it would work OK with the next tool I bought. It's green...

My first Ryobi tool, a glue gun!

I've wanted one of these for ages, my big mains glue gun is broken (it was cheap) and my little one that takes 7mm sticks has a very short power cable. The big glue gun seemed to be too big for me, also the price almost doubled in the last couple of months before settling back down during Prime day. Well I had seen a review of this and it's perfect, it takes the 7mm sticks I have hoarded and weighs almost nothing. Price was the same as the big one.

1624976078553.png

I don't do big gluing jobs so it'll do nicely. I also got a Makita battery adapter for it, as is now par for the course. There isn't as much to this one as with the Bosch or DeWalt adapters I have but it feels like it's made better. I hate Ryobi's battery attachment so I'm happy to just leave this on and pretend it's a Makita.

1624976232711.png

Finally while this isn't a power tool it kind of is, I also picked up the Wera Kraftform Turbo in the same eBay sale as the Makita. A pricey little swine so 20% off was very welcome!

1624976363207.png

As an alternative to the ratchet Kraftform I was going to buy this should make whizzing screws in and out just as easy with its 1:4 gearbox and should also be good for careful hand-drilling using the 1/4" hex chuck and micro drill bits I have. I wanted the set with long screwdriver bits but they A) didn't have it in the sale and B) I can get decent bits for a lot less than the sale price would've been.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '11 Multistrada, Yamaha R6
I have the 12v version and I love it. I wish it ran on the same batteries as my impact, drill, and light, but the compact size and light weight make up for that inconvenience.

IMG_20210629_084706995_HDR.jpg

@Kiki got it for me for Christmas and I use it at every opportunity.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
My first Ryobi tool, a glue gun!

I've wanted one of these for ages, my big mains glue gun is broken (it was cheap) and my little one that takes 7mm sticks has a very short power cable. The big glue gun seemed to be too big for me, also the price almost doubled in the last couple of months before settling back down during Prime day. Well I had seen a review of this and it's perfect, it takes the 7mm sticks I have hoarded and weighs almost nothing. Price was the same as the big one.

Does that simply heat up and depend on carryover heat, or is there some sort of smaller battery inside? I dont doubt the former could work, and am just curious. Havent been able to find it actually detailed.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Does that simply heat up and depend on carryover heat, or is there some sort of smaller battery inside? I dont doubt the former could work, and am just curious. Havent been able to find it actually detailed.
I wouldn't normally take something brand new apart but it's just a glue gun.
IMG_1141_S1920_S1024.jpg

It just uses thermal mass, I actually expected it to be quite a lot bigger. The voltage measures 17V so a little drop from battery voltage, no idea how much current and I don't want to melt any of my fairly thin connection leads to test it.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I wouldn't normally take something brand new apart but it's just a glue gun.
View attachment 3561621
It just uses thermal mass, I actually expected it to be quite a lot bigger. The voltage measures 17V so a little drop from battery voltage, no idea how much current and I don't want to melt any of my fairly thin connection leads to test it.
I appreciate the insight. Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

Clegko

DONOR
Car(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado, 1968 Mercury Monterey

RdKetchup

DONOR
Car(s)

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Wait, is that just normal soap? It does need to be designed for snow foaming if it’s going to do the job.

You can still use the normal soap in a bucket but I just foam, rinse them foam again for the contact wash. I’m scared of scratches.

RdKetchup

DONOR
Car(s)
Wait, is that just normal soap? It does need to be designed for snow foaming if it’s going to do the job.

You can still use the normal soap in a bucket but I just foam, rinse them foam again for the contact wash. I’m scared of scratches.

It is normal soap, but it had a mention of high foaming formula, so I was hoping that would work.

My next tryout will be with proper foaming soap.

RdKetchup

DONOR
Car(s)
So I went ahead and bought a bottle of the stuff @Clegko suggested.

IMG_20210702_155017.jpg

Who would have guessed, with the proper soap in the proper concentration, it makes foam!

It's interesting that on the ArmorAll instructions, they list two completely different dilution ratio for hand washing vs pressure washing. The hand wash ratio was similar to what I was using with my previous soap.

So once I'm done with the new one, I'll give the old one another try, but at high concentration level.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I bought a cheap combination table saw and mitre saw a couple years back. Not for myself but I picked it out and I get to use it. I think it's this exact Ryobi. I figured maybe cheap would do the trick when it's mains powered. Turns out I was wrong.

My €0,02 on this particular model:

- You need at least a couple of degrees in mechanical engineering to use it. On the picture it's set up to use as a table saw. To switch to mitre saw mode you to undo wing nuts, pull and turn knobs and whatnot. Above all you need to do it in the right order, because things will refuse to move if you forget a step along the way. Turning it back into a table saw means doing it all in reverse, and all in the right order. If the saw table won't drop back down like it's supposed to, you'll find it's because the blade protector got stuck in its up position the last time you cut a 2x4 in half.

It has a sticker on it that says "1800 watts" but somehow it's less potent than my battered 18V Makita with a fresh battery. It also advertises "soft start" which only seems to mean that you're spending time with your thumb on the trigger waiting for the fucking thing to spin up.

If I had paid for this myself I would have returned it or sold it already.

Ryobi-table-miter-saw-combo.jpg

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
I didn't know Ryobi made one of those, I looked at the Evolution equivalents before I bought my circular saw and tracks a while back. They don't appear to have as many transformer steps to change modes but they could be missing some out.

Of course being Evolution it means it can cut metal easily but it also probably isn't too well made.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I have to say though that the little table
saw is really handy for splitting timber.

In other news, I used my pin nailer a lot today and one of the nails did a U-turn and came back out a centimeter to the left of where it entered. I’ve seen Adam Savage mention many times how you should pay attention to where your other hand is when using a nailer. I believe him now.