The Power Tools Thread

It's kind of a shame this is only for power tools, I've been drooling over some Wera torque wrenches recently.
I mean this place is a democracy, I'm open to re-interpreting the thread title as "The Power Thread About Tools" or something if people are interested. For one, I am :)

^ I've been using Wiha hand tools exclusively for my job. I started with some Lowes branded things but find the Wiha to be much better, especially in my line of work, the flat headed screw terminals in control panels for example, fit the Wiha flat head perfectly where Lowes, craftsmen, and others don't seem to have one that works for me.

As AvE would say, everyone needs a hand job every now and then. :|

I have a few Wera items around like their bit adapters, a small bit driver and a 13mm Joker "show" spanner. Nicely made stuff. I'm waiting for the advent calendar to actually have useful stuff in it, this year wasn't that year.

My Dad's Craftsman circular saw, back when Craftsman meant something. I need a new blade for it.
IMG_20201211_123705188_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201211_123713406.jpg

My grandfather's reciprocating saw. The cord outer cover is a little chewed up, so I need to replace the old electrical tape with something better. I have some special 3M stuff that will seal it, but it's about $3 per little square. I also want to open it up the front and regrease it, but the screws are pretty seized in there at this point.
IMG_20201211_123817792.jpg

Best looking jigsaw ever. I'm pleased to see what looks like a ground pin on the plug, old tools that have metal cases and lack grounds scare me.

Y’ALL ACTING LIKE DADS.

Y’ALL ACTING LIKE DADS.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

I had to move a couple of my Makita tools, I reassured them that it was nothing personal and I just needed the space. :|

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

A lady at work found out I can do plumbing and electrical and she got much excited. Wowed her when I had the work car with the brakes apart one day a couple years back and put it all back together. I was just checking to see if I could see anything wrong because of the nasty pulsation I had with it. Only had the caliper off. :D

Also, don't get any ideas, early 50 something.

Is there such a thing as an aftermarket higher-quality shoe/plate for circular saws?

My saw is decent-enough, but the stamped steel plate is garbage. If I could replace it with a cast/machined aluminum/magnesium, I'd either keep my saw for years more, or would even consider adding one as a day 1 add-on for a saw that's otherwise good.

While this is really cool, I don’t see the point of using tool batteries. Half the point of a robot vac is that it’s supposed to find its way back to the charger after it’s done cleaning.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DRC200Z
Yeah, this seems to be "a solution in search of a problem". It's not exactly cheap either, so you're not saving money by omitting built-in batteries.

It's huge and supposed to be used in an industrial environment, still doesn't make much sense though. If you have lots of 18V batteries around you will always have some fully charged but it could just die on you somewhere in the building and you would have to go and find it. Definitely not a match for the new robot vacuums.

"Cleans approximately 5,380 square feet of hard floor surfaces using two 18V LXT® 5.0Ah batteries BL1850B (batteries not included)"

Definitely something not made for home use

"Cleans approximately 5,380 square feet of hard floor surfaces using two 18V LXT® 5.0Ah batteries BL1850B (batteries not included)"

Definitely something not made for home use

Probably not, but someone still has to go there and swap those 200eur worth of batteries and I don't just see the point.

I wonder what it does when it runs out...when it's low, does it just go back to where it started? I would see a niche where a crew would let one run overnight, but not if you have to go find where it died after 2 hours...

Hm, found what looks like a decent deal on local classifieds - 62€ for the Ryobi 18V jigsaw, new:

jigsaw.JPG

Not the newer brushless version, but still looks like a solid tool. I only have some small-ish hand saws for now, and for all their rare use cases a powered jigsaw would've done me better. And it'd enable some basic woodworking like I'd like to get into at some point.

Any good reasons to not go for it?

How does that compare to the Amazon price? I'd probably be prepared to pay a tiny bit more to have some kind of guarantee behind it. Looks like a decent tool at just over half the price of the newer model (on Amazon UK at least) but one thing to note is that it doesn't have a dust extraction port. Not sure if that's an issue, you could probably 3D print an adapter without much hassle. Brushless has little benefit for the home user.

Put my DeWalt compressor/inflator to work for the first time today, I finally got my Tesla wheels mounted on the garage walls so topped them all off to 42PSI. It's fast and runs smoothly, is absolutely fine with my Makita battery and adapter.

I did the current Tesla wheels too, here I'm actually topping them back up to 40PSI after letting some air out, 42-44PSI in these tyres seemed a bit much but I can't go too low or the TPMS will complain.

2020-12-13%2016.21.40-1_S1920.jpg

Tempted to drill some holes in the rubber foot bumper things and screw in some proper feet so it can stand up properly with the larger battery. Bit of an oversight from DeWalt, even their own batteries can be too big to allow it to stand properly.

Hm, found what looks like a decent deal on local classifieds - 62€ for the Ryobi 18V jigsaw, new:

View attachment 3559550

Not the newer brushless version, but still looks like a solid tool. I only have some small-ish hand saws for now, and for all their rare use cases a powered jigsaw would've done me better. And it'd enable some basic woodworking like I'd like to get into at some point.

Any good reasons to not go for it?
It's done everything I've asked of it. The only things I wish it had were a toolless angle adjust lock (even though I rarely adjust it) , and a blade eject feature, so you don't need to handle a hot blade to remove it. It only takes T shank blades, in case you have a huge stash of other blades...

It vibrates WAY less than my old plug-in Black & Decker, but it's possible that it's purely because of the extra mass of the battery.

I've only used it to cut up to 3/4" plywood, and also 1/2" where the top 4mm was walnut (flooring). I've also used it to cut metal drapery rod to length, but the metal was really thin:
16078876057054209521368110747975.jpg

(Sorry for the strange perspective...I was lying back in bed)

I haven't used it to cut 2x4s, but it has an orbital cut feature, so I'm positive it'd do just fine, power wise, if not neatness (orbital cuts are tougher). I have a recip saw for heavier things like that, so I haven't used it for that.

Last edited: