The Power Tools Thread

When it comes to impacts, I really like my DTW1002Z for special occasions. It's heavy but the power behind it (as a one handed tool) is amazing.

1000Nm is massive compared to my 400Nm from my R18IW3-0

1000Nm is massive compared to my 400Nm from my R18IW3-0
I don't know if I trust that number but the thing is basically a massive top-heavy motor and hammer/anvil combo on a stick so it can't be too far off! I think @loose_unit has one too, I find that it's great for stubbon Land Rover wheel nuts.

My stainless portaband table turned up today, now sitting in its home where the resin printer used to sit. I think it's a work of art.

IMG_0663_S1920.jpg

I know, the blade is invisible. It uses lightsaber technology, you know.

I have my switch on order, I was struggling to find a switch that I liked and was rated for 24V/20A but then I remember the circuit breakers I used in the new dash on Bob and it's really easy to find 30V/20A versions with big toggles so I've ordered a couple. I'm now going to make a sled from 3D printed parts and ex. CNC machine 2020 extrusion so I can cut things completely square. The table top is laser cut so I know I'm working with straight and parallel sides.

Ooh, that's nice. How easy is it to move it to cut longer stock? My mind's eye is bad at estimating metal weight...

Ooh, that's nice. How easy is it to move it to cut longer stock? My mind's eye is bad at estimating metal weight...
I just weighed the whole thing with a spring balance and it's 14kg (about 31 pounds) including the saw, so not difficult to move. It's a quick release system too but the counter top isn't quite deep enough to provide enough space for that.

The designer/builder explains it in this video:

The larger plate attached to the saw was another reason to buy it as it will help when cutting stuff handheld. I picked up a Trend digital level in the Amazon sale and will make a mount for it so I can roughly keep the saw level. I wanted the one the Bad Obsession guys use (make the noise!) but it's too big and too expensive for me...

The old dremel died last night mid-project; today I picked up a replacement and went for the higher power unit. The half-amp model didn't last.
IMG_20210406_143916835_HDR.jpg

How overpriced was it? Did it come with a free leafblower?

How overpriced was it? Did it come with a free leafblower?

Actually not too bad, far less than 30 euros. Feel much sturdier than the old ones I’ve been using. They’re difficult and fiddly to adjust which I guess means that they won’t need re-tensioning every ten minutes.

Sadly no leafblower, and weirdly it doesn’t say if they’re LXT compatible. Hopefully they’ll work with my kit anyway.

Modification of the Makita portaband begins! With a teardown.

Second part is already done. Hint - it only bloody well works. I'm very happy with how it's turning out. The bracket is 3D printed and I'll hopefully be mounting it later, if I can join the meet tonight it'll be behind me.

Second part of the Makita portaband modification:

I just bit the bullet and bought a pair of 6Ah Makita batteries. €190 for both after some haggling. Will be nice to get some more juice in the chainsaw and circular saw.

If I remember correctly, that's a whopping 9 euros less than the bundle Makita was offering around this time last year: a 18V mower, a pair of 5Ah batteries and a dual fast charger. The charger alone retails for €140 ish. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that even though I have no use for a mower.

I tried to convince my dad that he wanted a cordless mower to get the same deal. I was watching a test of their big mower a few weeks ago and the dude just had so many dual chargers he took it out and tossed it aside.

I would have bought the kit just for the charger and batteries, and I deeply regret that I didn't. My parents actually bought the kit and the mower is very nice for taking care of what the robot can't reach.

I know you can get chinesium batteries for cheap, but I have a bit of respect for these things. Tool batteries get dropped, used as hammers and abused to the point of thermal foldback. Then once you've depleted a battery, you put it on the fan cooled charger. I kinda want to stay genuine here to avoid fires and other unpleasant things. I also always make sure to never leave a battery in the €27 knockoff impact gun I got.

Half thinking about getting an 18v cordless mower , but from reviews a 56v is closer to petrol power, and costs too much.

When it comes to any power tools I don't see the point in paying for a big lithium battery that I can't then use with anything else. I'd much rather stack 2 or 3 18V batteries that I already have. 7.5Ah is pretty impressive but I didn't get as far as cost and I won't let her curves cloud my judgment. :|

I dunno about these big mowers anyway, the small and light ones are just so much easier to handle. Unless they're robotic or ride-on.

The one I linked too can take a second 18v.

If you have a big area to do, they make more sense.

The channel I linked above, have videos on a DeWalt and a Ryobi.

Last edited:
When it comes to any power tools I don't see the point in paying for a big lithium battery that I can't then use with anything else. I'd much rather stack 2 or 3 18V batteries that I already have. 7.5Ah is pretty impressive but I didn't get as far as cost and I won't let her curves cloud my judgment. :|

I dunno about these big mowers anyway, the small and light ones are just so much easier to handle. Unless they're robotic or ride-on.

It depends. My Dyson vacuum cleaner is always in the charging dock, ready for use. I much prefer it that way over having to go out to the car to fetch a tool battery.

I have a feeling I won't buy any more 18V stuff either, at least nothing that requires lots of juice like the chainsaw. The Makita 40V lineup is relevant to my interests...

I have a 10-year-old Craftsman battery mower (36v, but old battery tech). It's nowhere near gas power. Even when new, it bogged down in longer grass.

I'm actually considering the Ryobi 13". It, too, uses one battery, but I'm thinking that because it has about 30% less area to cut than a 16", it might be powerful enough. We extended our hose into the back yard, so we don't have much lawn left, and I love the idea of being able to move the lawnmower around with one hand...something I can't do with my "full-size" Craftsman.

I am already tri-platform with Milwaukee M12, M18 and Ryobi 18v, so the last thing I need is another batter and charger to worry about. I have a 6-battery Ryobi charger, and enough batteries for every tool, so there's ALWAYS a battery within easy reach.

It depends. My Dyson vacuum cleaner is always in the charging dock, ready for use. I much prefer it that way over having to go out to the car to fetch a tool battery.

I have a feeling I won't buy any more 18V stuff either, at least nothing that requires lots of juice like the chainsaw. The Makita 40V lineup is relevant to my interests...
That makes more sense, you aren't sinking a huge amount of money into that single-use battery like you would be with a mower. The latest Dysons have removeable batteries but I still like the idea of having a cleaner with a tool battery so I could grab that extra battery if I need it.

I'm definitely sticking with 18V, I'd rather double up than buy into a whole new battery system. Here are a couple of videos that show that they're still actively developing for LXT and that while the XGT is better it isn't very significant, certainly not enough for me to make a move.

Edit: Part 3 of my Makita portaband series is also now up, showing the table I bought and the final switch modification.