The Power Tools Thread

while the XGT is better it isn't very significant, certainly not enough for me to make a move.

18V/4Ah is IMO more than plenty for driving screws and 1.2Ah is enough for a pin nailer, but tools like circular saws can never be too powerful. A 40V saw should be able to deliver more poke than 18V, no? And 4Ah at 40V is roughly the same as 8Ah at 18V if we're talking "fuel tank size".

18V/4Ah is IMO more than plenty for driving screws and 1.2Ah is enough for a pin nailer, but tools like circular saws can never be too powerful. A 40V saw should be able to deliver more poke than 18V, no? And 4Ah at 40V is roughly the same as 8Ah at 18V if we're talking "fuel tank size".
So why not use an X2 tool at 36V? The internal circuitry is also capable of raising or lowering voltages as required. You definitely get more capacity per battery but with x2 tools available I don't see the need to change yet.

My 11 year old Milwaukee 18V drill is still kicking it, been using it along with a Chicago Electric saw for fence repair at home. The saw came from my grandfather who bought it thinking he was going to use it and gave it to me last summer. It cuts things.

FCD33FE9-D181-4CEF-B658-352189753E1D.jpeg

A3464088-09F9-4FFF-BF3E-CE54C09DD8F2.jpeg

I find that build... a-fence-ive. Is that tree outside the location of the squirrel-nut saga?

Yes, 18v x2 is also an option. I didn't realize they made circular saws with 2x18 but apparently they do. Splitting timber is usually what makes my LXT circular saw and its battery beg for mercy.

When it comes to any power tools I don't see the point in paying for a big lithium battery that I can't then use with anything else. I'd much rather stack 2 or 3 18V batteries that I already have. 7.5Ah is pretty impressive but I didn't get as far as cost and I won't let her curves cloud my judgment. :|

I dunno about these big mowers anyway, the small and light ones are just so much easier to handle. Unless they're robotic or ride-on.
1618860570578.png

Can I tempt you into a zero-turn powered by the same? Only needs four 56v/10ah batteries...

One of my favorite youtubers, Aging Wheels, bought an electric zero-turn Ryobi recently. There will no doubt be a video about it.

It features both of my exception points (it could certainly be rigged for remote control) so I could definitely be tempted if I had a big enough garden.

As far as lawn care goes, robots are awesome. Your lawn looks like a pool table all year round with zero effort.

View attachment 3560839
Can I tempt you into a zero-turn powered by the same? Only needs four 56v/10ah batteries...
You've got my attention. What sort of run time does it have? I spent about 2 hours mowing today between the house and property.

You've got my attention. What sort of run time does it have? I spent about 2 hours mowing today between the house and property.
They claim 2 acres/charge, and roughly 2 hour recharge. 3 acres with 6 batteries, and you can hot-swap them out with the tools on the go. Reviews look pretty positive on it, although it's expensive..

We had an electric Wheel Horse ride on mower (to small to be called a tractor) when I was a kid. It was basically the same type of power system that a 36v golf cart used. It worked pretty well as a mower. I have thought about getting it repaired, using modern batteries, and incorporating it into a solar system during the winter.

So now I can cut my grass at 3am after getting some night vision goggles! ?

That was really impressive, same guy I saw testing the 18V x2 Makita mowers, giving them plenty of abuse.

So now I can cut my grass at 3am after getting some night vision goggles! ?

They are still loud enough that your nutty neighbors would complain. lol

Half thinking about getting an 18v cordless mower , but from reviews a 56v is closer to petrol power, and costs too much.

I have one and 100% recommend. The battery system snaps into their entire line, so I have a mower and string trimmer with the modular motor - so I can use it for a pole saw and a bunch of other accessories. The mower does my whole yard and doesn't even get to 50% power remaining - and that's using the self propelled feature on the hill out front. It's quiet and clean, and there's no yearly tune up to deal with. You don't even need night vision, it has headlights!

Oh, you can also get an inverter to use the batteries for AC power while camping or during blackouts.

Here is the 11 year old drill. It spent its first year being used almost every day from May 2010 until November of that year. Sure it has a newer battery, but I still have the two it came with that work fine.

04D13E86-3C40-4536-B061-BAFFFFEC0861.jpeg

653F4AE9-7706-4260-99AE-5F023B4AEBDE.jpeg

Lidl’s “parkside” brand. A 2Ah battery and a charger bundle for €24. Wonder if they can be any good at all at that price.

5C4F9099-7617-4E90-9D96-55596C2B4722.jpeg

I have a couple of their hand tools - pliers, screwdrivers, that sort of thing. Quality is as you would expect, cheap as shit chinesium. Wouldn't expect the best of cells in those packs. May be worth an AvE-style teardown though, even if just to see if I'm wrong :)

The question is did your Aldi actually have any tools that were compatible with that battery? :p

I doubt that the cells will be up to much but it's less likely to explode than anything bought directly from China. I expect someone is either manufacturing an adapter or has made one available on Thingiverse that lets it work with Makita tools, for a proper comparison.