The Power Tools Thread

I don't understand it, battery mowers just make sense. I really wish my neighbours would change their petrol mower for one, we have very small gardens and by the time they've started it it's all done and the grass is back to bare soil.

Their garage is joined to mine and mine now stinks of petrol, don't get me wrong I like the smell of a petrol and 2-stroke oil mix but I don't want to be hit with a wall of it when I go to my MX-5. :rolleyes:
I feel the equivalent over here, or actually the exact same people, are the ones who insist on heating their homes with a wood fired oven. they end up with one insanely overheated room, the rest of the house freezing, and they annoy and actively harm the health of their entire neighborhood. All the while complaining that oil is so expensive (yes, they always have oil) and anyway burning wood is actually good for the environment (because someone argued 20 years ago that it should be considered “CO2 neutral”), so shut upppp!
and people look at me funny when I say I don’t want a fire place in our house… ugh.

random power tool thought: my 18V saw that is officially rated for max 10 cm of dry wood had absolutely no problem with a 15 cm fresh and sticky trunk from a horrible plant in our front yard. Coupled with a cheap ass Lidl blade :ROFLMAO: nice!

I feel the equivalent over here, or actually the exact same people, are the ones who insist on heating their homes with a wood fired oven.
Strangely enough I have a friend who does that and he has oil fired heating too, he's very reluctant to spend the money. Admittedly it's a country house so doesn't harm anyone around but it doesn't make much sense to me.

The rating for the saw is probably based on regular use so it doesn't crap out during the warranty, I don't mind abusing my power tools as they don't get used all of the time. :p

Myself and I believe @loose_unit have the same and it's a beast, have fun with it.
It is the best!

I don’t get to use it often enough 😊

Myself and I believe @loose_unit have the same and it's a beast, have fun with it.
I used it to remove the rear axle nut from the Ducati. It took about 3 seconds to break it free. It's way better than my old method (not pictured is the strap to keep the wheel from spinning backwards):

IMG_20200125_153842742.jpg

A fastener with this amount of torque on a motorcycle is a little crazy.
Excuse the pre-reorganization garage.

I raged after smashing my knuckles and bought it to pull the crank bolt off of Luigi ... After days of trying different things it took about 5 seconds like your experience :D

It does Land Rover hub nuts really well too. I took it with me today in case I had to assemble an engine crane on site, bit big for that really but it’s my only half inch gun. I should get a Fakita half inch.

Didn’t have to build the crane in the end, I have quite an update for my Freelander thread tomorrow.

When you don’t wrench enough to justify investing in a proper 1/2” impact, but it would’ve been difficult to break the nut on the lawn mower blade with hand tools.

The €27 Fakita to the rescue.

2AFFD78C-04AB-4500-B76D-30159602926D.jpeg

Does a brushless motor not brush less? ;)

Well, I finally gave in and bought the little Ryobi 13" cordless lawnmower, rather than wait any longer for a brushless version that may never come. I used it once this afterenoon, on some very dry, very thin grass, and it worked great.

It's hilarious to think that my lawnmower runs on the same battery as my hot glue gun.

The marketing photos are hilarious. They make it seem to huge:

A "real" photo (of the same model, just an older generation):

I have the 40cm version for about a year.

Only real problem is when grass is damp or bit wet, grass accumulates around the blade housing and it gets louder as more grass sticks.

Usually run it with two High Energy 3.0 Ah batteries. A biweekly cut would only see battery level go down one or two bar.

Best thing is I can cut grass quicker than it took to start the petrol mower.

Price seems to be down about 10% since last year.

71NmqJE803L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
If my maths is correct you would need 34 9Ah Ryobi batteries to give that thing the same Wh as the Ryobi 48V zero-turn mower has (115Ah, 48V = 5.52kWh). I recon that's doable with the rear deck space. 😀

Edit: What is that place anyway? A car detailers inside a shopping mall? Taycan is nice, can't tell if it's a cross or regular Turismo.

Last edited:
Edit: What is that place anyway? A car detailers inside a shopping mall? Taycan is nice, can't tell if it's a cross or regular Turismo.

It’s a mall newly built on a field in the next town over from me. They have everything including a used car dealership. Said dealership is also apparently selling new Maxus EVs now.

Finally got my hands on a multitool

View attachment 3566004
It seems like such an odd tool, but then once you have one, you realize it's literally the only tool for certain jobs.

I've never seen that positionable head before. The one I'm used to seeing had a head that is interchangeable (and compatible with the similar heads from Ridgid).

I was very glad to have one when I was modifying my AV cabinet above this desk, I can't think of another power tool that could flush cut the wood so cleanly and without making a huge mess. Semi-circular blade is my favourite.

It seems like such an odd tool, but then once you have one, you realize it's literally the only tool for certain jobs.

I've never seen that positionable head before. The one I'm used to seeing had a head that is interchangeable (and compatible with the similar heads from Ridgid).
Interchangeable heads would be great.

Some of the fixed head version reviews are a horror show

First job is to cut out part of a ceiling damaged by a leaking pipe. Lucky to get a scrap piece of plaster board from a builder I noticed was finishing a house.

I was very glad to have one when I was modifying my AV cabinet above this desk, I can't think of another power tool that could flush cut the wood so cleanly and without making a huge mess. Semi-circular blade is my favourite.
Wish I had one when I was modifying cabinet shelves for TV wires, but no one will ever see ;)

Ackchyually, Makita has heated jackets as well.

But a battery coffee maker doesn't make much sense. It probably depletes an entire battery just to make a cup.