The Power Tools Thread

We're talking about lug nuts here, not putting a Veyron engine together. :p A torque stick is one step better than ugga-dugga.

We're talking about lug nuts here, not putting a Veyron engine together. :p A torque stick is one step better than ugga-dugga.

I’ve been doing snug + half turn…. Seems ok.

What I've actually done is use a cheap torque wrench and then a digital adapter which goes between the socket and the torque wrench, to make sure I get it right.
Are you secretly Project Farm? He loves those torque adapters. I understand why, load cells are pretty damn reliable and give accurate/repeatable results. I like the fact I can just grab my Clarke Pro digital torque wrench and it has my common settings in the memory. Probably my most expensive hand tool but worth it.

I looked into those torque sticks a bit more, they're apparently pretty good with air tools but the varied speeds of cordless tools makes them a bit less accurate. YMMV, obviously.

I'm going to change to winter wheels tonight, using my new torque sticks and my 700Nm 18 volt Makita. Will double-check with a cheap torque wrench and report back.

The impact kicks back a lot more with the torque stick attached. I used the 135Nm one and my Chinesium torque wrench didn’t have anything more to add afterwards. It just clicked. So if the wrench is to be trusted, they’re torqued to at least 135 Nm now. 😅

A478D43D-4712-4A7F-92F9-51C4A26424A2.jpeg

The impact kicks back a lot more with the torque stick attached. I used the 135Nm one and my Chinesium torque wrench didn’t have anything more to add afterwards. It just clicked. So if the wrench is to be trusted, they’re torqued to at least 135 Nm now. 😅
My B6 Passat is pretty similar, although probably lighter and 90 ft-lbs (122 Nm) is what I torque to. My Hercules impact gun can go to over 150 ft-lbs (200 Nm) with ease, so I need to be cautious.

My Hercules impact gun can go to over 150 ft-lbs (200 Nm) with ease, so I need to be cautious.

I would still call that "within tolerance" when it comes to lugs. :LOL: Most shops have impact guns with way more torque and some of them don't give a fuck. I bought the larger 700Nm Makita even though its little 300Nm brother technically is way more than enough for lug nuts, specifically because I wanted it to have enough torque for when the previous guy used all the ugga-duggas. So far it has opened everything I've asked it to without even raising an eyebrow. Money well spent.

Last edited:
I would still call that "within tolerance" when it comes to lugs. :LOL: Most shops have impact guns with way more torque and some of them don't give a fuck. I bought the larger 700Nm Makita even though its little 300Nm brother technically is way more than enough for lug nuts, specifically because I wanted it to have enough torque for when the previous guy used all the ugga-duggas. So far it has opened everything I've asked it to without even raising an eyebrow. Money well spent.

Even a beer?

New Ryobi 30" (self-propelled) push-mower has a battery that lasts 1 hour, with a one hour charge time. So in theory, you could mow infinitely with just two batteries.

The cost per battery?

Yeah, batteries for lawn mowers and snowblowers are ridiculous!

I looked at a small snowblower last year that used the same battery packs as the drills,etc., and they were $140 each, plus it needs 2.

I looked at a small snowblower last year that used the same battery packs as the drills,etc., and they were $140 each, plus it needs 2.

And I would want to try that in working conditions before spending the money on it. Sounds more like an electric snow shovel than an actual snow blower.

PXL_20221030_223033776.jpg

Projects can now happen.

View attachment 3567534

Projects can now happen.
That's one of those tools which quite soon after buying one you simply can't remember how the hell you used to work/live without them and suddenly you find uses for it you never realised before. For me also on that list are a laser level with tripod and a plunge saw with guidance rail, should have bought them a lot earlier on in my house renovation.

The laser level was a game changer. I even brought it to my office to hang up the art on my walls so it's all neat.

The laser level was a game changer. I even brought it to my office to hang up the art on my walls so it's all neat.

I used mine all the time. Hanging drapery rods, framed pictures, the address numbers on the outside of my house, tops of fence post. guitar wall hangers. The vertical lines came in handy with closet shelving systems, installing flooring...

And also for feeling like I'm in a spy movie when hanging a towel bar in a bathroom with a glass shower door, and mirrored medicine cabinet behind it.
20190729_202611.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, yours is way more fancy than mine. I just have a red vertical and horizontal line.

Damn, yours is way more fancy than mine. I just have a red vertical and horizontal line.
Mine was actually bought for work. I would bring it to jobsites and force our furniture installers to use it, for perfect alignment (their "close enough"/"just eye-ball it" were not good enough). When we moved to a smaller office, i offered to store it at my house, since i was the one who always brought it to site. Then they laid me off, and nobody asked about it. That was...about 2 years ago now. :)

Mine was actually bought for work. I would bring it to jobsites and force our furniture installers to use it, for perfect alignment (their "close enough"/"just eye-ball it" were not good enough). When we moved to a smaller office, i offered to store it at my house, since i was the one who always brought it to site. Then they laid me off, and nobody asked about it. That was...about 2 years ago now. :)
I approve.

When I left my last job I took all my cables and computer parts they took for granted to keep their shitty computers running. This was 2015 and they had us all sharing one PC.