The Prius vs. M3 "race"

Censport

Car(s)
Xterra, '63 Corvair, '06 Yamaha FZ6
In case anyone saw the "race" and thought to themselves, "Yeah, but nobody drives a Prius like that!" Well, that's what I thought too, because I never see anyone in my city drive one in that manner.

But last week I was on vacation (holiday, for the Brits) in the Washington D.C. area. As you can probably figure for an area with such a concentrated liberal/left population, the Prius is the car to have. It's the automotive equivalent of the "LIVESTRONG" bracelet. "You see this?!? I CARE, dammit!"

And dear God, they fling them around with reckless abandon! I guess they're convinced that they're saving the planet, so they can drive as fast as they want. They also seem convinced that their magic Prius is as tough and safe as an old Volvo.

Meanwhile, I cruised along in my XJ6, getting 25 mpg while not looking like a sanctimonious eco-dweeb.

Yep, I live in the surrounding area, and yep, they are EVERYWHERE.

In case anyone saw the "race" and thought to themselves, "Yeah, but nobody drives a Prius like that!" Well, that's what I thought too, because I never see anyone in my city drive one in that manner.

But last week I was on vacation (holiday, for the Brits) in the Washington D.C. area. As you can probably figure for an area with such a concentrated liberal/left population, the Prius is the car to have. It's the automotive equivalent of the "LIVESTRONG" bracelet. "You see this?!? I CARE, dammit!"

And dear God, they fling them around with reckless abandon! I guess they're convinced that they're saving the planet, so they can drive as fast as they want. They also seem convinced that their magic Prius is as tough and safe as an old Volvo.

Meanwhile, I cruised along in my XJ6, getting 25 mpg while not looking like a sanctimonious eco-dweeb.

From what I have seen over here, they all drive way too fucking slowly. You just want to go and punch them for it. And they are all about the "saving the enviroment" crap. Not saying that I don't care, but I AM saying that driving a Prius is the last way to help it.

Luckily, there are very few around.

They've invaded Nashville as well. <_<

And they tend to drive within 10mph of their top speed. I nearly got ran-under by one the other day.

Was that Al Gore's son? :D

They're all over Brentwood too, but I haven't seen them going fast. The scooters are breeding like rabbits here as well.

I'd rather get caught in the rain on my FZ6 than drive a Prius.

They have invaded the Chicago suburbs, as well. Although they seem to be of two minds. One bunch seems to be of the evil twin mindset (speed good! car control? what control?) the other set is the real eco-dweeb that rolls along at the most fuel-efficient speed, no matter what the posted limit is. In a span of 10 minutes I was nearly driven off the road into a forest preserve by an out of control Prius reaching terminal velocity and then I nearly rear-ended a Prius crawling at 20mph below the posted speed.

I've long wanted to say that I've NEVER RIDDEN in a Prius. However recently when my friends and I were going to Dave and Busters, my friend gave me a ride. I was hoping he'd bring his jeep, or even his mom's subaru... anything! But no... he brought his dad's prius. It had 35k miles on the clock and was sold to him used. The dashboard was a mile long and I was hoping it was filled with more than just the gadgetry, that there was an immense firewall with Arnold Schwarzenegger level of brutality and strength. But I knew in the core of my heart that It was just a few pieces of plastic taped together and the engine held up with silly string.

Anyway, my friend was driving it like he would drive his jeep - at 70-75 mph on the freeway. It was indicating that it was getting between 40-75 mpg (instant mpg indicator) and showed an average of 40.6 mpg. I don't believe it. I refuse to believe that it's getting that much for the way he was driving.

Arriving there at Dave and Busters I felt fairly retarded. It's a bar come restaurant come arcade and play area, and we were arriving in an ecobox with butterflies and barbary apes following us and laying green carpet wherever we drove by.

It sucked.

Anyway, my friend was driving it like he would drive his jeep - at 70-75 mph on the freeway. It was indicating that it was getting between 40-75 mpg (instant mpg indicator) and showed an average of 40.6 mpg. I don't believe it. I refuse to believe that it's getting that much for the way he was driving.

Arriving there at Dave and Busters I felt fairly retarded. It's a bar come restaurant come arcade and play area, and we were arriving in an ecobox with butterflies and barbary apes following us and laying green carpet wherever we drove by.

It sucked.

*plays world's smallest violin*

I've borrowed my friend's Prius and driven it around when i needed to, and strangely, none of what you described above happened to me. It drove fine, was quiet and i got to where i need to. Plus when i ride shotgun, its great because i kick up my feet on that huge expansive dash and its really nice to take a nap in the passenger seat because its so quiet.

and this is coming from a guy who normally drives a fast car every day. I thought tooling around in the Prius was fine. Plus it has a hell of a lot more cargo room than my car.

To each his own. I don't see the point of the prius. In England and the rest of Europe you can get a diesel that does better mileage and here in the states you can get a used Honda or Toyota that does 30 mpg and costs 1/10th the price of the prius.

My negative attitude towards it carried on with me when I was in the car and there was nothing in it that could really change my opinion.

To each his own. I don't see the point of the prius. In England and the rest of Europe you can get a diesel that does better mileage and here in the states you can get a used Honda or Toyota that does 30 mpg and costs 1/10th the price of the prius.

My negative attitude towards it carried on with me when I was in the car and there was nothing in it that could really change my opinion.

When you factor in the price of diesel (about 15p more per litre in the UK than standard unleaded) and that diesel engined cars are usually a couple of grand more expensive than the equivalent petrol it's pointless owning one IMO. Add in the horrible clattering noise, having to change gear at 4000rpm and making the car too nose heavy there is only one conclusion. Diesel is wank! ;)

You're right! :blink: I drive five miles on an Interstate to work, and I always get passed by a Prius doing about 80 mph in 55 mph zone.
And they, like the fish decal people (why do people advertise thier religion? I don't...), are really defensive drivers. Angered by something, they fling their cars into lanes, ride on peoples asses, honk if you dare to go only a measly 10 mph over the speed limit...

You're right! :blink: I drive five miles on an Interstate to work, and I always get passed by a Prius doing about 80 mph in 55 mph zone.
And they, like the fish decal people (why do people advertise thier religion? I don't...), are really defensive drivers. Angered by something, they fling their cars into lanes, ride on peoples asses, honk if you dare to go only a measly 10 mph over the speed limit...

Don't get me started on fish-people. Although, I'm going to start keeping an eye out for a Prius with a fish. I hope I see one. So I can laugh at them.

And they tend to drive within 10mph of their top speed. I nearly got ran-under by one the other day.

:lol: run-under... genius!

Thankfully I live in an area that only sees a few of them now and then. I very much live in a middle-America town where there are Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and Chrysler 300s paving the roads mostly; there is only the rare sanctimonious prick.

As Viper knows, Portland Oregon is THE epicenter of the "I am better than you and I know it" Prius owners. LA probably has more but I swear everything 10th car is one of those things.

As Viper knows, Portland Oregon is THE epicenter of the "I am better than you and I know it" Prius owners. LA probably has more but I swear everything 10th car is one of those things.
One lives across the street from me (owner's actually going to the Olympics I believe, heh). I sometimes want to light it on fire though.

New Jersey and New York are not safe from the Prius menace. I often am driving up the highway when a Prius comes whizzing up behind me at 90mph. (Albeit, 90mph on the NJ Parkway is a fairly common thing in the areas where there is nowhere for the police to hide... Not that I ever drive at those speeds. Never. :whistle:)

I am, however, morbidly curious and would like to drive one and see just how bad the Prius really is. I mean, it can't be that bad.

Hmmm. All the Priuses I see drive around a 7 km/h. Then I overtake them and then slow down... :whistle: I mean, if you want to save the planet..

Don't get me started on fish-people. Although, I'm going to start keeping an eye out for a Prius with a fish. I hope I see one. So I can laugh at them.

A few weeks ago, I saw two Priuses with fish parked right next to eachother, both crooked. I laughed, then shuddered at the thought of these people driving.

A few weeks ago, I saw two Priuses with fish parked right next to eachother, both crooked. I laughed, then shuddered at the thought of these people driving.

Lucky.

I think we should start a group against Prii, Priuses, pieces of shit, whatever they're called.

'Course, Prius owers could all use Trevor Eve's idea of a carbon exchange program. Buy a tree. That way, they can feel good about themselves for saving the planet, and not have a shitty car.