The Quirky Cars of New England (Now Featuring Harlequin VR6 Baywindow Bus!)

My brain hurts trying to figure out how the steering-wheel on that Citroen would work... it just looks so... WRONG. It might as well be square shaped or triangular or something...

In the pre-airbag times, Citroen figured a one-spoke wheel would enhance safety because it enhances instrument visibility during corners.

My brain hurts trying to figure out how the steering-wheel on that Citroen would work... it just looks so... WRONG. It might as well be square shaped or triangular or something...

It's not wrong - it's awesome :D

Edit: Ooh, 1000th post. You win a free iphone. Or something.

Stopped by that place again today, and he has this sweet Audi GT Coupe! That's quite the rarity, first time I've ever seen one in person.
DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

Still has the Peugeot and the Turbo Citroen as well.
DSCF0635.jpg

My favorite generation of 5-series BMW:
DSCF0631.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

All kinds of good stuff.
DSCF0638.jpg

Those old Citroens have some kind of automatically lowering suspension right? Whenever I see a picture of one it looks like the suspension's collapsed.

Yes, it's a hydropneumatic suspension. When the car stands still the pressure in the suspension drops and the car sits down. When the car starts, the pressure is pumped up again so the car lifts itself.

DSCF1047.jpg

Found some good stuff today in my home region, along with some even more quirky iron in the Bradford, VT area!

DSCF1055.jpg

Just a rusty old Chevette, you say? Think again!
DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

You know you want it! If I ever go into the mod-AWD class in Rallycross, I'll have to look this up! :p

DSCF1059.jpg

Somebody was having fun!

Found an old BMW that I saw out-and-about a long time ago hanging out at a local European car shop! Classic 7-series with a five-speed stick. I was told that it's a Euro spec model. :mrgreen:
DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1074.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

My favorite (aside from Uber-Chevette)
DSCF1064.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

I've been seeing an ungodly number of Chevettes lately. There was even one for sale with a V8 and a 5spd a while ago. Oh my.

I've been seeing an ungodly number of Chevettes lately. There was even one for sale with a V8 and a 5spd a while ago. Oh my.

I am liking the idea of a V8 Chevette! There is a stock, decent looking yellow one puttering around my town ever summer, as it has been since I was a wee lad.

I'd like to point out that the chassis of the Chevette is identical to my Kadett. It's was the first GM T-Platform.

Hey Bubs, that Citro?n and Peugeot wouldn't happen to be in Alton Bay, by any chance would they? I remember seeing a repair shop on Rt 11 on the way to the Sandy Point restaurant when I went there with my mom and stepdad last summer. If we had been driving I would have stopped and taken some pictures, but unfortunately we had taken the boat from Wolfeboro to the public docks and were being driven by someone from the restaurant.

Hey Bubs, that Citro?n and Peugeot wouldn't happen to be in Alton Bay, by any chance would they? I remember seeing a repair shop on Rt 11 on the way to the Sandy Point restaurant when I went there with my mom and stepdad last summer. If we had been driving I would have stopped and taken some pictures, but unfortunately we had taken the boat from Wolfeboro to the public docks and were being driven by someone from the restaurant.

You are absolutely correct, Alton Bay. That's where I have found quite a few of these cars. I wound up going past there yesterday and saw that he has a blue turbo-Citroen next to the white one now, still has the Peugeot and the Audi GT. I like to stop by there every two months or so because he's always getting something new and interesting!

I have a single-spoke steering wheel as well, albeit not that dramatically-shaped depth-wise. There is a control center in the steering column, and everything there is handily visible as there are no numerous spokes to obstruct view.

http://img137.imageshack.**/img137/8384/sapporocabin.jpg

Not that I ever reach the controls through the wheel :p

Those old Citroens have some kind of automatically lowering suspension right? Whenever I see a picture of one it looks like the suspension's collapsed.

Yes, it's a hydropneumatic suspension. When the car stands still the pressure in the suspension drops and the car sits down. When the car starts, the pressure is pumped up again so the car lifts itself.

A video that shows it rather nicely on a BX, at 0:20 and 1:00 (terrible noises, the guy says it has the original hydraulics)
[video=youtube;509j-Xtqh2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=509j-Xtqh2k[/video]

A video that shows it rather nicely on a BX, at 0:20 and 1:00 (terrible noises, the guy says it has the original hydraulics)

Of course, one issue with these is that if you parked one with the front over the edge of a curb, or on a rough road the suspension would lower it onto to stuff when you switch the engine off. Still aim to own one of the bizarre Frenchies at some point though, preferably a GS. :D

@ Climb to the Clouds 2011
DSCF1236.jpg

Harlequin, VR6-powered Baywindow! I saw it pull in and it sounded NASTY (in a good way), and go figure it has a VW VR6 shoehorned in there.
DSCF1196-1.jpg

DSCF1197-1.jpg

DSCF1198-1.jpg

QUATTRO! I saw a surprisingly large number of these rare cars on that day.
DSCF1232-1.jpg

DSCF1233-1.jpg

DSCF1235.jpg

A rare BMW 8-Series
DSCF1160-1.jpg

Epic lulz
DSCF1260-1.jpg

Lovely classic 911
DSCF1272-1.jpg

DSCF1276-1.jpg

DSCF1274-1.jpg

Classy wingless MR2
DSCF1147-1.jpg

DSCF1150-1.jpg

DSCF1149.jpg

DSCF1153-1.jpg

DSCF1240333-1.jpg

DSCF1156-1.jpg

SE-R
DSCF1158-1.jpg

Some of the competing cars:
DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF1249.jpg

DSCF1252.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

The only Group B action at the race :p
DSCF1220.jpg

Go onto Youtube and look up "Audi Super Chicken" to watch this tube-framed beast with a Audi 20V rally engine scream up Mt. Washington. Absolutely nuts!
DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1193.jpg

Shame these didn't run!
DSCF1166.jpg

DSCF1170.jpg

DSCF1169.jpg

Mike Ryan's famous hillclimb truck was amazing to watch!
DSCF1162.jpg

My car, I couldn't run it because it would be unfair to the other drivers. Too fast. :p
DSCF1282-1.jpg

Last edited: