The RC Cars/Planes/Boats/Helis thread

nsx_23

Forum Addict
Maybe my searching skills suck, but since I couldn't find a dedicated RC thread I thought I'd start one since I want to ask about RC aircrafts anyway.

I've been thinking of getting this little beauty:

url

url

The Electrafun XP. Some quick reviews online seem to indicate its a good beginner package for less than $200AUD, but are there any others I should look at? My problem is I don't have anything at all, so the XP looks promising since it contains everything I need to go flying already and seems to respond well to a bigger battery pack and some other tweaks. Downside seems to be slightly inconcistent quality.

Another one I found:

450-450-95CBC43EF943E675E78880885F056C6D.jpg

Hobbyzone Super Cub

Last edited:
I can't remember if we had one or not, but anyway.

I used to be a lot more into RC than I am now, mainly because my spare income goes to the Land Rover and photography, but I do have a Tamiya XC chassis with a scale Land Rover body that I've been building over the last 3 years. It's still not finished but might be one day. I also have an HPI Savage that needs has needed a new idler gear for about 3 years.

I can't tell you much about RC planes, never flown one because I'd be too afraid of smashing it to bits.

pT7vP.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, thats why I'm just looking at foam planes for now. Some of the guys at work build fucken F-18s with jet engines or IC-engined glider frams from scratch....

Mine has a better title :p

But yeah, I need some advise on RC aircrafts. What are good kits to get, etc. The Super cub by Hobbyzone seems quiet popular, but its an older design.

From what I hear, these are the best to start flying with.

1.jpg

http://www.bananahobby.com/1376.html

Pusher prop so no damage to that when crashing, large wingspan for slow flight and stable flying characteristics, and extremely durable foam. It's where I'd start.

Oh, and I got another R/C... In addition to what I have already. I have way to many of these things.

IMG_8646.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

Yeah I think thats a pretty standard configuration for trainers. The Electrafun and super cub I posted are the same price, but the Super cub seems to be a more "well-known" design even though the electrafun is apparently very popular in Australia and does fly well. Not too sure if anyone sells or ships the wild hawk to Australia, but reading on some forums they can even go for like $80, so its damn tempting.

Sometimes, I wish I was in the US. Sometimes.

Last edited:
I have this remote control! I use it for my TV, DVD and Hifi-components ...

Damn, you beat me to it. I saw this thread and was getting out my camera to take a picture of my TV remote. :lol:

Last edited:
You're all a bunch of butts. You've got me thinking about getting my broken piles running, or even buy a new one. I really like those new 1/16th Traxxas buggers.

The Traxxas posted up there on mine is a 16th... they're good fun. Good size too, although a bit squirrely with brushless.

Clockwerk, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I was speaking to the guys at work today, and I think some sort of powered-glider with a brushless motor would probably be the way to go. I wouldn't mind something with floats, hence the super cub is damn tempting as it has that option, but I was told not to get too attached to my first trainer since I'd probably break it :lol: :cry:

Might go down to the local store tomorrow to take a look. The other option would be to buy everything separate. Cheap 4ch radio is about $25, a glider frame I saw is about $100, but I don't know how much a battery and other stuff is yet.

Last edited:
I don't know how much starter planes are, but I'd probably suggest something like that over piecing something together because I don't imagine you'd save that much, and parts availability and manufacturer support are paramount. I suppose you could also look for a used, higher quality plane in the same price range, but you'd need to talk to experienced flyers to find out if that has nay real advantages other then simply having a nicer plane.

I have one of those mall store helicopters. Love it! Best $20 my girlfriend has ever spent on me - hours of sheer joy. My cat appreciates it as well.

I've been wanting to get one of those for a while. I'm just afraid I'll injure something, or just break it immediately.

I've got a Traxxas Spirit and Stampede that haven't been run in a while, and a nitro-powered trainer plane, (I believe that it's a Tower Hobbies plane) that I've haven't flown in a while. In fact, it's been sitting long enough that the engine has gummed up, meaning that if I want to take it out and fly again, I need to take the engine apart and clean it. (Or just replace it.)

I've since developed an interest in large-scale models; currently, I'm looking at any version of the HPI Baja, nicely hopped up, with either a Bartolone Racing-ported Skopod 62cc engine or Trevor Simpson reed case engine, done up by either Yamadude or O'neill Brothers Racing, and the Blazer Marine Whiplash...

I've been wanting to get one of those for a while. I'm just afraid I'll injure something, or just break it immediately.

Nah, they're pretty durable and if you're even half way decent at flying in video games you'll pick it up almost instantly. I've occasionally almost flown it into my face but that's more my fault than poor dynamics of the helicopter.