The RC Cars/Planes/Boats/Helis thread

Got my quad to fly properly for the first time today. I'm not any good with the Rate mode (gyro stabilization only), but with auto-level on, I can actually fly around and land without crashing :) Did crash eventually, when a prop adapter came loose - lesson learned, tighten them grub screws properly... broke two propellers but nothing major.

The new carbon/aluminum frame holds up much better than the self-made one with wooden arms. Also, ordered some 10x4.5 slow fly props instead of the 10x6.0s I'm using now - the motors are running a bit warm, and throttle response is really damn slow with these. The quad takes about half a second to start actually going up or down after throttle movements, although that might have to do with the sheer mass of the thing (1.1kg in flight configuration).

Nice. Off topic - whats the music you used for that vid?

"Naruhodou Ryuuichi - Objection!" by Metamorphosis Jazz Band, from Gyakuten Saiban Meets Jazz. I've also used other tracks from this album in my older videos on the channel (KSP-related ones).

Does anyone have an opinion on the Slow Stick? light and simple enough to be seemingly indestructible in the hands of a beginner like myself, while still allowing options to customize (to a degree) If I go for bargin bin components, that should be ready to fly for about $200, which is a bit higher (by an order of magnitude!) than the alternative of a prebuilt foamie or similar.

DSC08103.JPG

You could get ten ornithoptors for that money!
http://dx.com/p/amazing-flapping-wings-aircraft-r-c-flying-e-bird-phoenix-toy-27mhz-49137

I have heard good stuff about the slow stick. Only thing with a wood model is if you have a crash it takes more fine to repair than a foam plane.

Foam, electric and glider-like designs are probably better for a beginner imo.

Last edited:
No pictures of anything, back at my house my Tamiya Hornet is needing a bit of work, my AE RC8B is sitting in my closet waiting for snow to melt, bought a Hobbyzone Champ a month ago and have crashed it a bunch but getting better, and ordered an E-Flite Gee Bee R2 last week that will be here Monday, it's out of my skill level but it was such a good deal that I'd rather have my friends fly it until I get good enough to.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Slow Stick? light and simple enough to be seemingly indestructible in the hands of a beginner like myself, while still allowing options to customize (to a degree) If I go for bargin bin components, that should be ready to fly for about $200, which is a bit higher (by an order of magnitude!) than the alternative of a prebuilt foamie or similar.

You could get ten ornithoptors for that money!
http://dx.com/p/amazing-flapping-wings-aircraft-r-c-flying-e-bird-phoenix-toy-27mhz-49137

I'm rather pleased with my spitfire on that front. Not one of my many attempts to fly it lasted more than 45 seconds, but nothing broke. I do suggest getting the BNF version and then picking up a Spektrum DX5e or DX6i though.

Redesigning the quadcopter for better stability, flight times and to keep props out of the GoPro picture:

KxyGkWe.png

Parts are ordered, once everything arrives and I can confirm the measurements the frame plates will be CNC'd, and the building can begin.

Is there a reason to go for 4 prop instead of 3?

A tricopter needs a servo assembly to tilt the rear rotor. Adds mechanical complexity and a point of failure. Also, a quad can lift more, hence larger battery and longer flight times.

So, was there any breeze when you had your copter out? Any time my AR Parrot is out in the wind, it's unusable. It tries so hard to keep itself stable that you wear the battery out before you have a chance to have some fun.

Hmm I haven't posted in here for a while.

I guess that I should post my most used items rather than all of the things I currently have.

3D Hobby Shop 48" Edge 540

Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak 32"

Blade Nano CPX

Plus a room full of "every now and then" models. These are my most used/loved by far.

Last edited:
So, was there any breeze when you had your copter out? Any time my AR Parrot is out in the wind, it's unusable. It tries so hard to keep itself stable that you wear the battery out before you have a chance to have some fun.

Mine weighs a healthy 1.8kg, wind is fairly irrelevant :) Flown it in 25km/h winds with gusts of up to 40, it is a bit unstable but absolutely flyable.

I've been learning how to fly my little Hubsan quad so far and its definitely a twitchy thing lol - Takes a fair bit of effort to trim it all out.

Also added a landing skid to help dampen some hard landings.

So, I've been thinking of buying one of these, that someone recommended to me.

I know it's a very flimsy, cheap one, but I am exactly looking for something cheap and simple. Any other models I should look into? Any places that ship international (Amazon does not).

Thank you!

Also, thank Leviathan for all the help on #gear.

I was impressed: