The real cost of Top Gear!!!

topgear1224

Car(s)
Olds 88 Royale 158,000 needs trans *so much shame*
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,24858724-5016681,00.html

Before we go on rattling on about how much money Clarkson makes remember some things
1. As stated by Quentin Wilson the BBC asked for Clarkson back
2. He is getting old.
3. I'm sure he just wants the best for his family if one day while power sliding at 100 mph he suddenly rolls a car and is crushed to death.
4. TG is all that he really does. while the others (minus the Stig) do many shows during the year.

but still $200,000 a episode:jawdrop: is really a ton.

EDIT: I read the article again does this mean that top gear pays for the damage they do to the cars like during power tests. I'd hate to pay for the damage on the brooklands:lol:

Last edited:
All 6 of the "Friends" got $1,000,000 per episode near the end of its run.

And the beloved trio deserve every single penny they're paid.

WOW. Clarkson still gets WAY more than Hammond and May.

According to that article:

Clarkson: $300,000/episode x 14 episodes/year = $4,200,000/year
Hammond: $52,000/episode x 14 episodes/year = $728,000/year
May: $42,000/episode x 14 episodes/year = $588,000/year

Clarkson gets 5.8 times as much as Hammond and 7.1 times as much as May. Hammond gets 1.2 times as much as May.

I understand that Clarkson is the lead presenter and does the most segments and interviews the guest, but his salary is way too much more than his co-presenters. Anyone agree?

Still, as long as the presenters agree with each other and are happily agreeing to their paychecks then, everything's alright.

Last edited:
I know this has been discussed many times over on these forums etc. but I still can't believe how badly Hammond and May have been screwed with the contracts....they get around 50k for episode while Jezza racks up 300.000$ (4.2mil/14 episodes).

Yes Jeremy does a whole bunch of other stuff yadayadayada.....still I feel they should do a deal like the forementioned cast of "Friends" who all stuck together and demanded everyone be paid the same amount.

I understand that Clarkson is the lead presenter and does the most segments and interviews the guest, but his salary is way too much more than his co-presenters. Anyone agree?

Clarkson was part of the creation of the show, and is largely the reason it exists. He is also much more on the front lines in terms of the direction the show takes than the other two.

IMO those salary differences are spot on.

All 6 of the "Friends" got $1,000,000 per episode near the end of its run.

I was gonna say, the Simpsons stars get a ludicrous amount somewhere roundabout that.

Yes, $200,000 sounds like a lot. But even a low-budget half-hour BBC4 tv show costs ?47,560. That video is recommended, by the way.

So I suspect the $200,000 figure for Top Gear is rather lower than what it actually is.

I'm pretty sure that Clarkson makes whatever it is he does, for the same reason that you, once in awhile, see a picture of typing away on a laptop.

Well, Clarkson's might be justified because he does alot of the show itself, but why is Hammond getting paid more than May? They both do about the same amount of presenting and script work, and they both have TV shows/books/videos separate from TG and they both host auto shows. So why does Hammond get an extra $10,000?
(If someone says "he's cute" I will kill them)

Top Gear probably recovers most of it's costs from merchandising and syndication.

I agree; Jezza should be paid the most of the three. He's the most involved; and TG is, pretty much, all he does (any other projects and his columns for the Times notwithstanding). On the other hand, Hammond and May have other, varying interests. So while one may not like that they're paid much less per episode, IMO, it's understandable.

So while one may not like that they're paid much less per episode, IMO, it's understandable.

...Which is still an ass-load of money per episode and more than most of us earn in 12 months. For many, Clarkson is the main appeal of the show and his figure reflects the importance of his role in making Top Gear what it is. Finally, what they earn is their business, I can't believe we're still discussing this.

This is probably in Australian dollars as it's an Australian site. 200,000 AUD is 90 thousand pounds/132 thousand USD. Meanwhile Hammond and May get 23 thousand pounds and 19 thousand pounds respectively (34 thousand USD and 27 thousand USD), which is very much in line with reports that we've heard in the past.

I really really really really really really really don't give a fuck.

Meh, I don't see the big deal. Provided everyone involved is happy with the figures then good luck to them - it's money well spent.