• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

the recent jump in activity here...

justin syder

Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
where is this coming from??

I have been checking daily lately and EVERYDAY I see 3 PAGES of threads to sift threw. It is a bit hard to follow alot of discussions so now I skim through the pages and pick and choose the threads I like.

Is it just me or is the forum too active, mind you TGear isnt on yet!

:shock:

Same here, it's more scrolling and watching topicnames than opening them all and see what they're about (olden days:p)

But I think it's this:

Hokiethang's FTP rules said:
As for obtaining an account. I ask that you be semi-active on the forum (more than 10 posts per month as a member on this site). Those 10 posts must be contributing in some way to the community. Posts just to get 10 will not get you an account, in fact, they will cause you to be denied for an account instantly. I also ask that you have been a member of the forum for at least a month before a request for an account is made. If you think you qualify for an account based on the above restrictions, you must send a password in your request, and this password must not be an easily recognizable pattern (123, or abc), words used on this site (topgear, viper, hokie, ftp, etc...) and ideally should contain at least 8 characters, with at least one being capital, and one being a number. PM that password to me, and I will create the account for you if you qualify.

Another thing that annoys me are the "New Votes", I really think it's a stupid thing...what do I care if other people think it's cool?
But that's me..

hmz, i don't have one yet still havn't had the need though.

ps, i'd rather blame jason, i'm just used to it. (or ukd :) )

:shock: :shock: :shock:

NO WONDER!!! Damn why have the forum suffer? And why the JW style access??

Jostyrostelli said:
No me neither, you have to ask for an account I think.

Same here, dont have one and Im pretty sure I have most of the vids there but I can see how the noobs would want access.

I just think its having a negative effect on the forum just a bit. We used to share vids with each other and help each other, now its, go to hokiethangs ftp. Im not posting to get him to change anything, just get a discussion going and maybe get some innovative ways to bring the forum back to us and not spammers or ppl that dont really want to post here.

I haven't noticed that much spam to be honest. Its increased, but only relative to the normal posts.

ok i misused spam, its not really spam but repeated discussions, locked threads, bumped topics etc, that kind of activity.

^ Just to be fair. Hokie realized that it is affecting the forum and is working on a better solution. Some people suggested that the thread should be hidden until the user reaches a certain post count. I think this is the wrong route though. Trying to get rid of the spam by requiring more posts ? I hate the idea.

Kip_6666 said:
hmz, i don't have one yet still havn't had the need though.

ps, i'd rather blame jason, i'm just used to it. (or ukd :) )

What did I do?

I don't have an ftp account either.

Is it just me, or do most of the new people have bad grammar?

Just to be fair. Hokie realized that it is affecting the forum and is working on a better solution.

Hopefully we can start the discussion here for good ideas on helping him out.

This is a strange thread. I'm new, and when I first read the "rules" I expected pretty much everything in here to be useless stupid posts and spam (like all those be-active-and-get-a-gmail-account forums 1/2-1 years ago). Surprised to say this seems like a nice place to be, lots of different people from all around the world just having fun and discussing cars and sharing car shows/videos.

However, it is very clear there is some sort of "elite" in here ... who are not longer as dominant as they used to? (reading old threads)

So do these 15-20 guys want to be left more alone, the forum should probably not be open to the public? Or you should create yourselves like a "veterans only group" for 1000+ posters...

Or should this be a public forum, a place for everybody who likes Top Gear / Fifth Gear? I do not think everybody's here for access to the FTP only, because here's a lot of other useful stuff/info. Maybe

About the sharing, I will guess the reason nobody's sharing anything, is every request for a video is answered with "it's on Hokie's FTP"... which helps nobody; if you have access you probably know it's there already, if not ... well, you don't have access to the video. More torrent seeding/sharing would be nice(r).

Jostyrostelli said:
Another thing that annoys me are the "New Votes", I really think it's a stupid thing...what do I care if other people think it's cool?
But that's me..

The cool wall idea was cool when it first started, but now it's just getting annoying. I think Viper may realize that too since there are some cars in there that could be moved to their appropriate positions, such as the Celica to the uncool section *sighs*

I'm new around here, but I got access to hokie's FTP right away, so if i didn't care about this community i could have just faded away and downloaded like an animal, but there's something special about this place (maybe special isn't the right word), but this forum has class, especially compared to JW...

fnorre said:
This is a strange thread. I'm new, and when I first read the "rules" I expected pretty much everything in here to be useless stupid posts and spam (like all those be-active-and-get-a-gmail-account forums 1/2-1 years ago). Surprised to say this seems like a nice place to be, lots of different people from all around the world just having fun and discussing cars and sharing car shows/videos.

However, it is very clear there is some sort of "elite" in here ... who are not longer as dominant as they used to? (reading old threads)

So do these 15-20 guys want to be left more alone, the forum should probably not be open to the public? Or you should create yourselves like a "veterans only group" for 1000+ posters...

Or should this be a public forum, a place for everybody who likes Top Gear / Fifth Gear? I do not think everybody's here for access to the FTP only, because here's a lot of other useful stuff/info. Maybe

About the sharing, I will guess the reason nobody's sharing anything, is every request for a video is answered with "it's on Hokie's FTP"... which helps nobody; if you have access you probably know it's there already, if not ... well, you don't have access to the video. More torrent seeding/sharing would be nice(r).

I think you didn't understand me, or I didn't say it right :)
If you compare the "spam", which isn't really spam, but more bumping and stuff, with the useful posts it's really nothing much.
I agree that this forum has alot of members that contribute in a great way to this forum and I enjoy reading the posts of all you guys.
But lately I get the idea that there is some unusual posting going on.
Again, it's a small percentage so it's no big deal, I just noticed.

About the "elite", I don't really understand what you mean.
Do I make that impression? That I am more important than you? That my posts "count" more than yours do?
I am, in no way trying to do anything like that, and I'm sorry if I make that impression. I'd like to know what made you think that though.

And it's not that I think this forum is getting too big, not at all. I think this is still a forum of moderate size with people I respect.

So I don't really know where you got that idea from...

Edit: When you compare this site to other sites I think this site has nice moderators who respect people. I've seen moderators flaming non-english people for making typos or posting a repost.

IF there is a "flame-war" here, it's often not that serious that we actually hate eachother. Seen worse on other forums...

fnorre said:

I have to agree with you to a certain extend. Although you have to know that the forum has been kind of a family thing for a long time. By now I see new faces everyday.

Of course the older members are asking themselves: "Why do we have such an unbelievable growth since we have a FTP ?" It could be just a coincidence, still the question remains: Are they joining because they want to be part of the community, or do they simply want the files ?

(On a side note. I'm still curious if we might end up with users who suddenly stop posting when they got their account. Only time will tell.)

Unfortunately this question will never be answered. The growth might just have resulted in the site getting more known around the web.

I think this is a natural process. Things change and you can do nothing about it. I can understand the resentments towards the mass of new members though. How would you feel if you came home to find your entire living room rearranged. Wouldn't that make you feel uncomfortable ?

Rejection is the most natural human reaction. I'm sure most of the members here have to adjust to it. Just give us some time to familiarize
with the new members.

I can speak only for myself, but I have no problem with new members at all. As long as they don't spam/post useless stuff. And to be honest I think that most of them brought substance to the site.

The Elite ;)

I kind of understand what fnorre is saying. I just joined last weekend, so yes, I'm really new here, but I do have some experience with other forums. There always are some people who were there from the start, probably like you Josty, who know everything that happened, and notice differences quickly, like this recent jump in activity, and you do seem to give the impression that it's a bad thing.
In your last post here you then say that actually nothing is wrong, but there is, otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread.
I really like this forum, others I've been to had a much more agressive moderating aproach, and a much more closed user group, hard to get accepted there, but nothing like htat here, really friendly atmosphere, I hope this stays that way.